Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Army so far - Ideas?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Mar 2006, 06:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default My Army so far - Ideas?

Now this isn't quite 1750 pts but its about all i can afford. I think the carnifex with the 8. next to it is particulary good. Lots and lots of attacks very good defenses all it needs now it for GW to give it wings and i would make that my whole army.

1. Hive tyrant wings extended carapace enhanced senses scything talons venom cannon
2. Brood lord with extended carapace implant attack 8 gene stealer retinue with scything talons in each
3. 3 warriors with extended carapace leaping and death spitters
4. Lictor
5. 20 Hormagaunts
6. 20 Hormagaunts
7. 1 Zoanthrope with synapse and warp blast
8. 1 Carnifex with reinforced chitin regenerate extended carapace tusks spine banks tail weapon scythe 2 sets of scything talons
9. 1 Carnifex with 2 twin linked devourerís and enhanced senses
10. 13 Hormagaunts

TOTAL pts 1528

Don't post costs for each unit. Total costs for an army is fine, but don't put it up for each unit or each part of the force orginization slot. It has to deal with copywrites, and we don't want to get shut down. -Alcibiates
And why the the black box in a plane is actually yellow whats up with that.
Light travels faster than sound that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak so therefore it is better to read what other people write and otherwise completely ignore everybody
Old 06 Mar 2006, 23:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: My Army so far - Ideas?

1. Hive tyrant wings extended carapace enhanced senses scything talons venom cannon 198 pts
All in all, illegal and wasteful.
A Winged Nid can never have Extended Carapace, so that Tyrant should either have Warp Field for added resilience or make without Wings, as you seem to make it into a fire support model.

It's a wasteful Tyrant in the optic that the Venom Cannon is already pretty well long-ranged, so it shouldn't need the added speed from the Wings. In some cases, it might come as useful, as it could pick a covered spot providing a firing lane to the targeted unit, while remaining out of sight from the enemy's remaining guns___but that should only rarely happen, as a Tyrant is pretty huge.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 11:40   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_kodo
1. Hive tyrant wings extended carapace enhanced senses scything talons venom cannon 198 pts
All in all, illegal and wasteful.
A Winged Nid can never have Extended Carapace, so that Tyrant should either have Warp Field for added resilience or make without Wings, as you seem to make it into a fire support model.

It's a wasteful Tyrant in the optic that the Venom Cannon is already pretty well long-ranged, so it shouldn't need the added speed from the Wings. In some cases, it might come as useful, as it could pick a covered spot providing a firing lane to the targeted unit, while remaining out of sight from the enemy's remaining guns___but that should only rarely happen, as a Tyrant is pretty huge.
Kodo is right. If you give a Tyrant wings then I strongly recommend that he is built for combat not shooting.

Try this: Tyrant - Wings, warp field, 2 x scything talons, toxin sacs, adrenal glands (both), flesh hooks.

Also those hormagaunts should be split up into 4 squads of 10 and the squad of 13. Especially if you play Eldar a lot. Scatter lasers are not your best friend. Also it gives your opponent more unnits to fire at, meaning he is less decisive, it also increases your cahnces of rolling high for fleet of claw.

I'd drop the scything talons on the genestealers, they're way too many points for a unit of that size which will be a top priority for your opponent's firing.

If you give warriors leaping and extended carapace then it is a far better option to give them combat weapons instead of ranged weapons as it works out cheaper than trying for survivability and shooting ability.

I recommend 2 more zoanthropes. 1 the same as the 1 you already have and the other with synapse and catalyst to make sure that your carnifex gets his attacks if he reaches combat.

I also recommend dropping the implant attack on the broodlord as there aren't that many multiple wound models which don't have invulnerable saves, making it slightly useless and rarely used.

Try these changes, re-post the list and we'll see how it looks then. It's not a bad list for what I'm assum,ing is your first attempt, you just missed 1 rule out (the wings and carapace rule) and made a couple of other mistakes, but all in all, at least you know what you want and you almost had it perfect.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 12:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Personally I prefer fleshboring gaunts to homagaunts. But than again my tyranid army is very shooty. But my fleshboring gaunts causes a lot of casualties in the shooting phase and as a last resort I use them in the attack phase. Also they cost 4 Pt's less than a homogaunt.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 13:12   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

True termagaunts are cheaper so you can get more, but personally I like combat prowess over shooting ability. Any army can out-shoot mosty 'Nid armies and I don't believe that 'Nids are meant to shoot really. So I take psychic powers and a couple of 'Fexes with guns (in a 2000pt list, none in 1500). That's it for my army, everything else fleets and charges into combat.

I guess I prefer hormagaunts because I like the idea of mass charge and kill as opposed to mass charge forward and shoot as the latter means that you are vulnerable to counter-charges and of course you can still be shot at.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Quote:
Old 07 Mar 2006, 20:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Funny thing is in my tyranid battles I've out shoot Marines, Eldar, and Tau so far. Having twinlinked warriors helps out a lot.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 12:44   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

That may be the case, but as he only has 3 warriors then they aren't going to help out too much in shooting. better his opponents targets anything which is shooting and the warriors then reach combat and actually do something.
Quote:

Quote:
Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

What! I've run fleshboring squads a lot and took down squads of howling banshees without losing a gaunt. They cheep and cause much damage. But I run 9 warriors right now and about to bump it to 12. But my gaunts so far is my work horse and has killed many models. Funny thing is people highly underestimate their shooting capabilities. In turn 1 they can't shoot I agree. In turn 2 and turn 3 if you didn't kill any that's 51 shots at str 4 that can re-roll missed wounds. So on average against marines I would hit about 26 times and cause 19 wounds killing at-least 6 marines in firing without taking any loses. That's not mentoning my Zonathorpes or my warriors, or my carnifexes. I'm gonna bring my gaunt count up to at-least 60 as well so I could do more damage. But if I was playing a full squads of genestealers and homagunts. Those squads wind up getting blasted to bits.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 09:43   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

You misunderstand me. I said that his 3 warriors wouldn't do much in shooting because he doesn't really have enoough of them. It's better if he tries making them for combat because they have leaping, and hoping that hgis opponent doesn't shoot them. Where as if he made them for shooting they'd be one of the first units to go.

Gaunts are useful for shooting I don't deny that, not how I play them but they're still capable of doing teh job, I agree whole-heartedly that fleshborer gaunts are useful, but I prefer to play using combat orientated armies. My marines all have flamers/meltaguns or boltpistol and cloce combat weapon and my standard 1500pt 'Nid list contains 12 genestealers and about hormagaunts.
Quote:

Quote:
Old 13 Mar 2006, 22:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

Aright... This guy got on for about 45 minutes after he registered and hasn't returned since. For the sake of saving us time... Lockage~ Chicop and Mkoll, y'all can continue your debate in a properly named thread :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Closed Thread