Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New player with some models
Old 19 Jul 2010, 01:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New player with some models

I'm looking for some help making a Tyranid army, I have never played before. I did get the battleforce that came before the most recent one, and built most of it but never ended up playing. Hopefully I can remove the things I don't want on the models without much of a problem, but I don't know about that. The Carnifex seems the hardest to take apart, and I gave him 2x Scything talons and nothing else. I also have an unbuilt Hive Tyrant and Trygon kit.

I'm not too interested in converting a Tervigon because I like the Tyrant and Trygon, and I could always convert a Tervigon later on when I had a better idea of how I wanted to make it.

I'd like to have flexibility to change my army into what I want once I have a better idea of how the game works, but I definitely like flying things and fast things. I also like the Lictor models. As far as army size I read somewhere it's good to aim for a 1750 point army. I think how I make the Tyrant, Trygon/Mawloc and Carnifex is most important as they are expensive and need to fill different roles. If the Tyrant could have wings that would be nice.
Carnofex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2010, 00:03   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: New player with some models

if you like flying get some get some warriors and make them into shrikes. they are glass cannons ( can deal out a whole lot of hurt but can't take to much) so move them through terrain, its fine it they loss a wound or two, they have 3 ea. and get them into cc with one of you enemies high value units. terminators come to mind. and a flyrant is always a plus, give gim two sets of scything talons. he'll be a cc god ;] . trygons wreck tanks. the best way to learn is to get out there and see what works for you though. i wouldn't run a carnifex anymore, next to a trygon its not worth its points in 5th anymore. while mcs are fun, but for troops you should some hormigaunts. they can keep up with your shrikes and are deadly in numbers. try to get 50+ on the board if you can. if you don't have the models you could just WYSIWYG( what you see is what you get) with your termagants. and for range anti tank zoan are the best. hive guard are good for AV 10-12 and much more survivable so it depends who play against for what you take. 500-1000 point games are the best to learn from, once you know what you like try building a 1500+ from there. don't buy 1750 points before you play just to find out they don't work well together. good luck

-Sean
dragon17x is offline   Reply With Quote