Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 Point MC-Heavy List
Old 15 Jun 2010, 13:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 2000 Point MC-Heavy List

Hi,
This is my first Tyranid list (I collected Chaos SM before, but... man, that Trygon is awesome!). I figured that I'd go for a list using a bunch of MCs that support the handful of smaller guys I have.

HQ

Hive Tyrant: Lash Whip, Bonesword, Stranglethorn Cannon, Old Adversary, Armoured Shell, Leech Essence, Paroxysm. (255)

Tyrant Guard x2: Scything Talons, Rending Claws. (120)

I figured I'd have my Tyrant walk alongside one of my Tervigons and provide suppression fire with the Pinning STC. I gave him Armoured Shell so that he can absorb things like Krak Missiles for his less-armoured guard. He's got a Lash Whip so that when he does get into CC he has (sort of) assault grenades. I figured he could also support my Termagants with both Paroxysm and Old Adversary.

Tervigon: Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Cluster Spines, Onslaught, Catalyst, Dominion. (210)

This Tervigon has both powers so that I can run and shoot with my Trygon Prime if there's a chance he'll get close enough to assault the enemy. I guess Onslaught could help with my Termagants, although my frontmost squad will mostly be used as cover.

Elites

Hive Guard x3: Impaler Cannons (150)

The Hive Guard are my anti-transport and anti light-tank. I don't face Land Raiders often, so I'm not too worried about them. I figure I can just assault LRs with one of my six MCs if I really need to. I was thinking of removing one Venomthrope and adding another HG, making two squads of two HG for fire-splitting. I also expect the HG to survive for a long time since most of the weaponry capable of easily destroying them will be aimed at my larger T6 targets.

Venomthrope x1: (55)

Venomthrope x1: (55)

The two Venomthropes exist to provide cover to my front lines (Termagants). Combined with Catalyst and the Venomthropes, even my screening units should be tough to take down. I split them into two squads to have a larger area of effect, since their toxic cloud has a rather small range.

Troops

Termagants x20: Fleshborers (100)

Termagants x19: Fleshborers (95)

Tervigon: Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Cluster Spines, Catalyst, Dominion. (195)

My Troops are maxed out to give me plenty of scoring units and a ton of targets for my opponent to hopefully split his fire at. The Tervigons will spawn more scoring units and provide AG and TS to my Termagants. With the four Tervigons I have in my army I'll also have plenty of opportunities to give FNP to whatever needs it (usually my Termagants since I expect a lot of AP 2 will come my MCs' way, making FNP useless).

Heavy Support

Trygon Prime: Adrenal Glands, Containment Spines, Regenerate. (275)

The Trygon Prime exists as mainly a fire magnet (hence the Regeneration), although I hope to actually make use of his improved ranged attack and considerable CC power. The Adrenal Glands are more for the extra Initiative than the extra S.

Total: 2000 points.

So there it is. Right now I worry that I don't have enough ranged AT, but I feel that my anti-infantry is strong (it is a Tyranid army after all).

Your critical assessments?
I myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2010, 16:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 2000 Point MC-Heavy List

Welcome to the forums, and in particular this lair of bugs. Let's check out this list.

I think I get it. Normally I would have reservations about lash and bone on a tyrant. In this case it is a slight aid to the Tyrant guard as well?. Or perhaps its just how the model is equipped. The reason I would NOT use that set is the high initiative of the tyrant, and it already ignores armour saves anyways. 2000 points leads to some big battles, I guess the guard are warranted (and definitely armoured shell). Oh, you have a little battle plan, right it is kind of like assault grenades, something the nids seriously lack.

Don't know much (anything really) about the tervigon, still stuck in the past. Spawns gaunts, buffs gaunts, two pretty cool things.

Venomthopes are anothher neat kinda unit. I did imagine that tervigon/gaunts supported by venomthropes would be an army within an army, capable of taking fire, and giving it. While splitting them could be good, I could see them attracting fire, especially before and assault, and maybe making them a pair. But that's easy to playtest and modify.

Whoa, now THERE'S a troop section. I wish I had the gaunts to really field something like this. While it may be hard to believe, I find enemies shoot gaunts WAY more than they should, which is good for you. And with toxins and adrenals CC won't be a picnic either.

If you really are making the prime to be a fire magnet, don't make him a prime. A regular trygon with regeneration will do the trick. Now I am a huge hypocrite, I load mine the same way and expect it to get shot to death non-stop. but mainly because if they don't the T-Prime will punish them. I kinda suspect the tervigons to be targeted first though. When they die countless gaunts die as well, and the gaunts become walking wounds again.

The army overall yea kills infantry with volume of fire. One of the more reliable ways to kill infantry in 5th Ed. Now, to add a little bit extra ranged AT why not swap out the STC for a VC on that Tyrant. Pinning isn't a really good thing to rely on at all.

Another large issue this army has is mobility. Everything walks, and nothing even has pseudo speed (outflank, deep strike-trygon of course). This means the enemy can somewhat abuse your ponderous creatures by stacking up in a corner. I've been on both sides of this. My old nid style was many MC with lots of warriors and spinegaunts. The enemy Tau/IG/Eldar would pile into a corner and shoot things as they came, one after another. When using my Marines, I see 6 MCs and a bunch of slow moving gaunts, bunker up and take down whatever you least want to fight in CC. For this reason, perhaps swap out a tervigon gaunt pair for some genestealers, make sure your opponent knows your plan to outflank them, and at least you'll get them avoiding the sides a little.

Just imagine the deployment zone, and trying to fit your 70 of models in there, while keeping tactical cohesion (thropes with teh gaunts and tervigons, tyrant nearby, hive guard in correct place etc. I don't think there's a ton of room, something will have to go in front of the other, and then you've made a conga line for target practice, and better hope your enemy didn't pick up a few vibro cannons.

Old 21 Jun 2010, 19:32   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks, Sa1us! I've revised my list to include two squads of Genestealers, which I think will help with opponents hiding in corners as well as tanks. My revised list is as follows:

HQ

Hive Tyrant: Lash Whip, Bonesword, Stranglethorn Cannon, Old Adversary, Hive Commander, Armoured Shell, Leech Essence, Paroxysm. (280)

Hive Commander should help get my Genestealers in before the game is half over. I worry that I may be spending too many points on my HT, though. He's 400 points with his guard, making him 1/5 of my list!

Tyrant Guard x2: Scything Talons, Rending Claws. (120)

Tervigon: Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Cluster Spines, Onslaught, Catalyst, Dominion. (210)

Elites

Hive Guard x2: Impaler Cannons (100)

Hive Guard x1: Impaler Cannon (50)

Venomthropes x2: (110)

I've decided to split my Hive Guard to allow my only ranged anti-tank to split its fire. This does mean a smaller area of effect for my Venomthropes, but now that I have fewer Termagants this may not be as much of an issue.

Troops

Genestealers x9: Toxin Sacs, Rending Claws. (153)

Genestealers x9: Toxin Sacs, Rending Claws. (153)

I think TS will work better than ST for my Genestealers since they allow a higher chance of Rending with re-rolls to Wound on most things (especially MEQs, against which Rending will be the most useful.) I plan to outflank with them to disrupt the enemy's back lines (where he'll probably have the most template weapons).

Heavy Support

Trygon: Adrenal Glands, Regeneration, Bio-Electric Pulse (235)

A cheaper fire magnet, although still do sort of want to upgrade him to a Prime. I frequently play against an Eldar player who uses Mind War on my Monstrous Creatures, and the +2 Ld given by the Prime upgrade (as well as SitW) will help against that. Then again, perhaps the easier target offered by the regular Trygon will protect my Tyrant and Tervigons.
I myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2010, 13:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well armoured shell is just so many points, but the implications of it make it balanced. I mean we used to get 2+ carnifexes and Tyrants all over the place for next to no points, I guess we're paying for it now! Do remember, Hive commander grants something else (troop) the ability to outflank not sure what to do about that, don't know how that would work with the tervigon...could be neat.

Organization of elites can be tweaked later once you play the list a bit. 2000 points really starts to stress the judging of utility, just need to hit the ground and let the enemy show you what you need to do. "Be always observant of your enemy, for he first finds your faults" I think is how Tzu put it.

Heh, I always thought those templates would be moving forward towards the gaunts (flamers). Maybe you meant blast, large blasts; they are in the back. Yea TS definitely a good call on them. Basically, the best investment is that which helps the most difficult step (akin to a rate limiting step as an analogy) which for genestealers will be wounding (with exception to vehicles).

Man, if the seer wants to try and mind war at 18 inches let it, oh maybe its a drive by mind war... but if not that seer had better get a bunch of wounds, cause MCs tend to get angry when you try and mess with their heads.
Old 01 Feb 2013, 01:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think u should drop the trygon and one venomothrope and bring a mawloc with adrenal glands and a lictor or deathleaper. Mawloc dors S6AP2 large blast when he lands on a model so it can wipe out a whole infantry squad then kill a tank before reburrowing next turn. Only to do it again.

Hive Fleet Briares
GMAN25639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2013, 00:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Love the Troops choice section. I am a Tau player by nature and I can tell you 3 tervigons are unstoppable. Great choice. Just a few other things to guarentee yourself a good time.
1) Doom of Malantai. Not even kidding. Anti tank, Anti infantry, death walker. Put it in a Mycenic spore and you wipe out an ork horde turn one. Not to mention the fact that it is nigh on invincible after one turn of its abilities.
2) Be aware that with this list you will have a super hard time dealing with flyers and land raiders, etc. The Doom of Malantai should help you in the first instance, and I guess enough gaunt shots will take down an armour 10 flier (72 for a 2 hp one)
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote