Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My new gaming table: A photo essay
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default My new gaming table: A photo essay

Now that I've got some vacation time I've set to building myself a real gaming table. My goals were simple:
  • high enough that I don't have to stoop over and from which my little grot (aka Niklas) can't grab stuff off of it.
  • Allow me to drop terrain "plates" into so that I could have some variety in my ground covering.
  • Allow me to add "submerged" areas to my playing area sometime in the future (i.e., rivers, bridges, tunnels, etc.
  • Give me added storage so that I could justify the amount of space it would take and improve my current clutter
  • Be able to double as a work table in a pinch
  • Have a dedicated place to put drinks and stuff to keep them from spilling on my table
  • Have a lip around the table to prevent some of the "Oops, sorry mate!" accidents that usually involve my friends knocking my stuff off the table. :'(

Last week I set to designing it and on Friday I started construction. I settled on a design that involved using two "bookcases" acting as the legs and a hidden compartment beneath the playing surface in which I could store smaller terrain as well as use for the submerged terrain should I ever get ambitious.

I'll be posting up pictures from each day soon so stay tuned. 8)

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: My new gaming table: A photo essay

Day 1: Friday
I made my first trip to the home store on Thursday to pick up most of the lumber. I decided to use pine since it was light and cheap. Birch would have looked a lot better but the stuff the stores around here sell is very heavy and 3x as expensive.

Friday afternoon I framed the table top. It measures 2m x 1.3m with a play area just a hair under "regulation" (47.5" wide x 72" wide). It's about 20 cm deep (~8 inches).

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Day 2-3: Saturday & Sunday
We had a lot going on with a birthday for my son and then a birthday party for a friend on Saturday, followed by a "quiet day" on Sunday (i.e., here in Germany you can't make any noise on Sunday or your neighbors complain and can even call the police >).
As a result, not a huge amount got done although I did manage to sand down the surfaces in prep for finishing.

Day 4: Monday
I applied the paint, staining the interior space with some stain I had laying around and painting the exterior "taubenblau" which is a sort of greyish blue (it's not that different from GW's shadow grey ^-^).

A picture of the frame with its finish. I did a first coat, waited for it to dry, sanded it (since it raised the grain of the wood), and then applied a second coat.

Close up on the color. These would go on to become the sides of the bookcases and thus the legs of the table.

Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Day 5: Tuesday
Today I managed to cut and mount the legs and do some of the interior support work. I also moved the table into my room by myself - it's remarkably light.

Here you can see the table inside the room (it'll be pushed up against the wall when not in use). I finally got the crossbraces on which helped add more rigidity to the overall structure. The bottom shelves of the book case will be screwed to these and the space in between the bookcases will have a large interior shelf on which I can stack terrain plates or tall pieces of terrain.

Here you can see some of the supports for the terrain plates. The two running vertical in the picture will support the terrain boards. The horizontal one is the center support for the storage cavity.

The bottom shelves. They're cut and have had the first coat of stain applied here.

Things went a little slower today because I had a "helper." (anyone with kids will understand why ).

Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:46   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

This is going to be a great looking table, looking forward to more pics, that helper is pretty cute too!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 22:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Great essay so far, look forward to future updates
Old 21 Jun 2005, 22:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Heh..you can see a reflection of yourself in the first picture, of you taking the picture...(off the window)

Aww..he's so cute!

How many days do you think it will take to finish?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 00:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Nice to see a banjo on the wall.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 06:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
Heh..you can see a reflection of yourself in the first picture, of you taking the picture...(off the window)
LOL. I just noticed that. :-[

Quote:
Aww..he's so cute!
Thanks. He must take after his mother.

Quote:
How many days do you think it will take to finish?
I'm estimating 4 more days to finish everything: Today I will lay the floor of the storage compartment, stain the cross braces, and install the bottom shelves. I'll also cut the top shelves and stain those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbellavance
Nice to see a banjo on the wall.
I only wish I could play it properly - I've played guitar for years but bought the banjo on an impulse (with my 2001 tax rebate check from the US govt ) and have yet to ever learn how to properly play it. It sounds cool though.

Old 22 Jun 2005, 10:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, gaming table. I get it now. I thought you were also making terrain for it as well.
Closed Thread