Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Terrain Project - Building piece by piece!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 15:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau Terrain Project - Building piece by piece!

Ever see a picture of something that inspires you to make something similar but can't put it on to paper? I'm the worst at drawing, I just can't do it. I saw this picture and I wanted to make something similar starting with a few pieces I already had. I couldn't get very far because I couldn't even draw the pieces I had let alone make up some brand new ones.

So I thought, what could I use? Spore! It has a simple program with which you can design buildings. It's limited but then again so are my drawing skills. I now use it to give my designs a rough draft. Of course it cannot show a finished product and so the imagination has to complete the task when you actually sit down to build it. Anyhow here are my designs for a Tau building.

The little red thing serves as a Fire Warrior to give it scale. The top part of the tower is hopefully going to look a little like the one in the concept art. The yellow circles are supposed to be Tau symbols. My army is painted white (Ice world).

Let me know what you think of the idea, there is also a great 'free' design program by Google called Google sketch (I think) which may work as well. It would take a little longer but would look better in the end.

[hr]
I made an airplane out of stone,
I always did like staying home.
Shel Silverstein
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2009, 22:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Sketching for people who can't sketch!

You know what, that ain't bad at all, considering the limit of the Spore program you used. Thanks for sharing!

Would you us an honour and do more please?

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 11:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Using Google Sketchup for the first time. It's free and extremely easy to use. I used the Architectural mm format but I don't think it really matters. If you really get to work with it you can scale everything correctly and then have the computer measure each piece for you to make cutting easier. Anyhow, I'm not very good at creating things here are my preliminary sketches for my first terrain piece.

The only problem I have with the program is you can't rotate pieces and sometimes it's meddlesome (changing the camera angle to make it do what you want). Also, there are limitations to what you can do with curved surfaces, but if you plan ahead you can get by anything, you'll see what I mean once you try it out.

I'm not sure how I'm going to make it, perhaps plasticine mold to form plaster building pieces. Do you guys have any recommendations on what to use? I have sheet plastic about 1mm think (I flatten bottles using an iron with paper in between) as well as the circular Styrofoam base seen in the pictures below.

[hr]

[hr]

Anyhow, changes/additions are easily made so let me know if you'd make any. The scale is the same so it will be quite large. This means I don't want to use clay because it will be heavy.

I need help with materials, I'm going for ice so I will have snow on the flat surfaces and ice hanging from the antannae. Still not 100% sure how I'm going to make that either though...

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 20 Mar 2009, 11:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Here's my start so far. Nothing's been glued I'm still measuring and planning.

[hr]

[hr]

Any ideas? let me know. I was going to paint the styrofoam rockish (grey) since it has the natural 'bricks' the rest I was going to paint white. It should look like the Tau built a tower out of metal (their materials) from an old bunker made of stone.

Also, what'd the best way of painting the bunker part. The acetone in the primer spray would melt it I think. I don't want to lose the detail (bricks) would 1-2 layers of PVA glue (thinly covered using a brush) cover that issue or is there another way?

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 21 Mar 2009, 13:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tau Terrain Project - Building piece by piece!

I just had a go at my first resin mould. I made the mould out of soft modelling clay. I was wondering whether it is possible to use silicone or some other material to make better, longer lasting moulds.

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 23 Mar 2009, 19:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to BKZer0

http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html

Everything you would ever need to know about making and using various types of molds, It also tells you where to buy the stuff.

Fairly cheaply I must add.
Desert Base Tutorial
BKZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 19:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKZer0
http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html

Everything you would ever need to know about making and using various types of molds, It also tells you where to buy the stuff.

Fairly cheaply I must add.
Thanks a bunch. I will get to reading.

Here some pics of how the project is coming along. Up 'till now I've been using bits of plastic and a toothpaste box. I've changed my design a little... I'm going to put the upper extension out at a diagonal but similar to the one in the design. I can't wait to prime it to see what it will look like when it's finalised.

[hr]

[hr]

Any ideas/tips?

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 20 May 2009, 16:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Here's the finished thing before I throw paint at it.

Like?

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 20 May 2009, 18:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the top left photo looks like it could almost be finished as it is for some reason.

but yeh when that gets painted it will look awesome.
lolzoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 19:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolzoar
the top left photo looks like it could almost be finished as it is for some reason.

but yeh when that gets painted it will look awesome.
The lighting is due to the fact that I was reflecting the natural sunlight using tin foil, it's purely white and primed with several thin coats of acrylic spray paint. I will most likely prime the 'stone' part using a similar gray paint as I am too lazy to paint it with a brush and my paints. This will most likely take a long time as I have many other things to worry about, but I'm glad someone appreciates it and may draw inspiration.

[hr]
Shel Silverstein