Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stone-textured spraypaint on foam
Closed Thread
Old 30 Mar 2005, 02:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Stone-textured spraypaint on foam

I went on a little shopping trip today, and among other things I picked up a can of Krylon "Make It Stone!" textured spraypaint. I was skeptical about it at first. I was willing to give it a try based on the sample I saw, but I figured I'd still have to hand-prime the foam parts of my terrain, or otherwise seal it, since the propellant on most spraypaints melts insulation foam. I decided to try a little experiment though--I took a scrap piece of foam I had, spread out some newspaper, and gave it a good thick layer.

No meltage. None. Zero.

This stuff is cool! It creates this really interesting "bumpy" texture very similar to a fine to medium gravel. If you've ever used textured paint, you'll sort of know what I'm talking about. The color I picked out had black, white, and a gradient of grays, and when it sets it looks a lot like highway asphalt.

I'm going to try making a piece with it. I'll post pictures when I'm done.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 20:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Stone-textured spraypaint on foam

That's an interesting discovery. Incidently, GW now sells textured codex grey in spray cans. I've used textured spray paint before (not on gaming stuff though), but in general I find it very expensive compared to buying a big bucket of regular textured paint. I paid about $30 for ~1.5 gallons of textured paint which has lasted me nearly 2 years and a lot of scenery as well as a complete table surface. In comparsion I doubt you'd get more than a couple of sizeable pieces covered with a spray can.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 21:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You're probably right about the price comparison over time. Plus, given that it goes about producing the texture in a different way than a bucket of paint that has sand or whatnot in it, I think you'd probably get a different /kind/ of texture on the finished product.

We shall see how it comes out. One way or another, I think it'll be an interesting addition to my toolkit.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

while were on the subject ..... to save me wasting time with acrylic posterpaints and sand, where can I buy decent priced textured paint?
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 30 Mar 2005, 23:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't know about decent-priced, since I'm not sure what the average prices are and it would probably vary depending on the region... but I bought the spraypaint at Michael's, which is a North American craft store chain. You could probably find it at various home and garden or craft stores.

The main advantage I could see for the textured spray is for sealing + texturing a large, irregular piece of terrain, so that you could use a spray primer on it and have it already textured all in one step.

But as Waldo pointed out, probably more expensive than doing it the "hard" way with glue, sand, and/or a paintbrush, etc.
Old 02 Apr 2005, 18:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The problem is you're in NZ Dizzy, so I have no advise for you. I had to do some searching here in Germany b/c only some of the home centers carry it: It's typically either in the paint section or in basement/cement section - it's primary purpose is for painting cement basements AFAIK. I paid about 22 Euro (~ $28 US) for about 5 liters. I've been using it for nearly 2 years and I have about 3/4 of a liter left so it's been a good investment. I also bought some black tint and mixed that in to the paint (it's white) turning it grey so I could use it to paint buildings quickly.[sup]*[/sup]

Another alternative is to buy some cheap paint and then mix in a liberal amount of texturing sand - this is sold at most home centers and is used to add a fine texture walls you're painting as well. It's not terribly expensive but you can save some money by using sandbox sand (which is typically much finer than beach-type sand). - it's almost the same thing.

[sup]*[/sup]However, you get better results painting the textured paint on, spray painting the building black, and then drybrushing grey.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 05:46   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to penguindw

Unfortunately Dizzy most textured paint I've seen in NZ is rather expensive, like really expensive, sand in paint seems best :P.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 17:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

Kind of off question but how do you think they get the sand to come out of the spray nozzle in the first place? You'd think it would clog...

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 22:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

use veeeeeeeery small sand
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 07 Apr 2005, 01:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There's no actual textured material, from what I can tell. The nozzle and paints are set up somehow so that they spray out in gobbets. The more you shake it up, the finer the texture.
Closed Thread