Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Modular
Closed Thread
Old 29 Mar 2005, 22:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Modular

ok, for 4th ed I decided to make a modular terrain board, now I have been mulling over the map for a while now but I cant seem to find a map that will allow me to switch the boards around enough ways without having half a road on one side, or a road that goes nowhere :P

can anyone help me? (its city terrain BTW)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 30 Mar 2005, 00:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Modular

I would say have the roads go through the middle of the piece so that there are equal spaces on the sides. Then, to get rid of those roads that go nowhere, make some corner pieces.

By the way, how big a board are you making? Will it be the standard 6x4 or smaller? And how many modular pieces do you want?

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 09 Apr 2005, 20:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I built some modular terrain once, specifically with Cityfight in mind. What I did was take some one foot square wooden floor tiles with tongue and groove edges and glue pieces of pink foam insulation to it. The tongue and groove helps to hold the modules together when playing. The foam was about 3" deep, so it allowed me to model things like craters, holes, and canals. I wanted to have my roads about 6" wide, so I built half a road (3") along the edge of each module - with curbs and sidewalks. Some had roads along two sides, some three, and some all four. This way, when I put two modules together, a full road would appear. It also gave me the option to reposition modules just about any way I wanted to make new maps. Doing it this way also maximizes the area on each module to model scenery (buildings, refineries, ruins, etc.)

Hopefully, this helps.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hey Dizzy!

I found that about a year ago. Clicky. That kinda of table allows you some interesting layouts!

Hope that helps!

Chaplain Thu'Ook
Promethean Cultist
Old 11 Apr 2005, 02:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

nice, a bit more ivolved than I'm looking to do though, someone must have a modular Cityfight board

"Tasukete!!"
(help)
go here
Old 11 Apr 2005, 05:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Dizzy- from experience the best way to do a "modular" table is to not have any specific roads marked on the table pieces, but to have multiple varying size buildings with their own bases and movable road markings like signposts and statues and fountains. When you add various ladders and bridges ( connecting buildings ) you have the ability to make endless city combinations.We used a black basecloth and with well made and detailed terrain pieces the different "neighborhoods" we created always looked great.
When I played on this table part of the setup was taking turns making the new city block, placing terrain, then road bits then ladders and bridges. The buildings varied from 2 to 6 stories ( there were 14 ) and as my intro to 40k cityfight ( this was back when the codex came out ) it became obvious how much this added to the game after playing a few games on a static table ( didn't we fight here yesterday? ).

JMO, I hope this helps,
Old 11 Apr 2005, 05:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I want to be able to do the whole sunken crater and excavated redoubt on the street corner thing.

and marked roads with sidewalks and rhino track marks will make it so much better ^-^
go here
Old 11 Apr 2005, 18:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to chaintinker Send a message via Yahoo to chaintinker

Try this Diz, Make squares of base wood that are 30cm (eliminates some range guessing) take and put buildings on them and in front of the buildings put half a road so that you can put two buildings face to face and have a complete road. Mount them all on foam so you can cut depressions out of it too. also make soem matching road pieces that you can put on the side of a building and make it look like it it on a corner (leaving the center of the crossroads open for another piece that can have a crater or what not).

Tiling is nice, but not as modular as you would think unless you want some limitations to the possibilities. Use the base table too. Paint it brown or blue so that where the gaps in the foam are can wither be gorges or rivers.

Hope it helps (Thanks for the other ideas poster here too.)

Check out the BFG threads over on the Other Games Catagory.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 02:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just a thought but if the road does come to an unexplainable halt then you could have a chainlink fence that stretches the length of the road, or a dumpster, parked car, etc...

or you could even have a peice that lays on top of the road end and is a crater or a fade to dirt?

i am not really sure, but if you through up some pics of the kind of roads, and all that business, then maybe i could come up with some better ideas.
Old 03 May 2005, 15:50   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The one suggestion I would make is to not mount the foam on hardboard or backing board. The mediums are unstable and are prone to warping making the edges of each section more noticeable. I now only use just foam sheets with a thinned layer of elmers on the underside. This helps protect the bottom and make it more stable. If you decide you still want to mount the board to a backing my rec. is to only glue six inches from each edge of the board. On the boards I have made this helped limit the warping.

Hope this helps.
Jesse Bellavance