Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Foam Board
Closed Thread
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to battlecraze
Default Foam Board

I just bought my first bit of foam board and I'm having some trouble. HOW DO YOU MAKE A CLEAN CUT. I've tryed all of my knifes but it never makes a clean cut. So could you help me
Old 16 Mar 2005, 21:02   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Shaso-Nan
Default Re: Foam Board

i've heard that the electric foam cutter works well. I've never used it, but it basicly is just a hot wire....

Old 16 Mar 2005, 23:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

I use a fish fillet knife to cut my 40K stuff

Its so big I have to hold it by the blade

lol

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Old 17 Mar 2005, 01:48   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Shaso-Nan

I havent done much with terrain yet. I think there might be part of that fence i did in one of the pics i too, but you can find that on your own. I have a huge sheet of that insulation foam board, i just need to make myself do something with it, like with all my projects... Anyway, what i used for my figs is a small utility knife, handy thing really. I used a serated blade for the terain but it it was that packing faom, you know, made of all the little bits of foam. Pain in that arse really. i'll let you know about that other stuff if i ever get around to cuttign it.

oh yea, anyone got any sugestions on paint it, cause spray paint makes it, like, melt, and stuff... >>

Old 17 Mar 2005, 10:15   #5 (permalink)
GOD
Shas'El

You need a foam cutter. They are hot knifes. Also it would help to coat it with plaster once you done to get a smooth finish. then sand the plaster, before painting and it should look sweeet.

I never lose, I choose not to win.

There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 16:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A foam cutter is worth the investment - they make much cleaner, faster cuts. I really can't recommend one enough. Check out a large hobby store b/c they usually sell them for cheaper than the GW one.

As far as how to prevent it from melting - you can pre-paint it with a acrylic or latex paint -or- watered down white-glue. Usually I just paint the stuff with textured paint and they spray paint over it if I'm going to use spray paint. However, I find it much easier and cheaper just to use regular paint. If you're going to do a lot of painting just take a dried chip down to a home improvement center and have them mix you up a custom pint or gallon - that way you can have "goblin green" without paying a fortune. Usually I just buy the cheap tint paints (the ones meant to be added to white to create custom colors - they sell it by the half liter here for under $4 US) - they come in all kinds of shades and work great.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 19:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Shaso Shiur

By foam board, I do beleive that you're meaning "foam core", right?* It's basically a thin sheet of styrofoam sandwiched between two sheets of bristolboard ( cardboard essentially ).

To cut foam core cleanly you'll need an exacto knife ( the one that looks like a surgical scalpel ) with a handful of brand new, sharp blades, and a metal ruler as your cutting guide.* You'll want to do all of your cutting over a self-healing cutting mat.* If you don't have one, you could use either a thick sheet of cardboard or an old mouse pad.

Start your cut gradually, you just want to cut through the first layer of card. ( best to take two passes with the knife to cut through. )* Then cut through the layer of foam, and lastly the second cardboard layer.* You'll find that you'll have to change your blade regularly as you work, if the blades aren't super sharp, they'll just shred the material instead of cutting it.

You'll also find that the harder the surface is that you're cutting over, the more quickly the blade will dull.

I've made a number of buildings out of foam core, and those are the tips that I learned.* If you're interested in any more tips, just drop me a line.* I'm always willing to help out.

Check out my picture gallery link, I've got a few buildings that I've constructed out of foam core in there.

Cheers!

Converting isn't a skill, it's a way of life.

[URL=http://centretownwc.proboards22.com/index.cgi]
Old 18 Mar 2005, 03:41   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

COOL!!Shaso Shiur all your buildings are sweat. How do you come up with them? well, keep on making those cool buildings. Do you use them a lot in battles?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 15:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Shaso Shiur

Glad you like my buildings. I kinda have to over engineer them as a buddy of mine has a nasty habit of leaning on the terrain. That's why the floors are made from 1/8" thick MDF board.

The entire building is held together with white glue, and the edges are covered with thin cardboard to protect them.

And yes, I try to have my buildings on the table for just about every game I can. They're alot bigger than your typical scale, but it allows you to place the figs inside with ease plus you can even fight your close combat inside.

I'm of the philosophy that terrain should be utilized, not just take up space on the table.

Once I'm done some other projects, like my Bull Ogre Gut Barging Pit and my Bloodbowl feild, I'll be starting work on a Tau bunker and trench line.

Converting isn't a skill, it's a way of life.

[URL=http://centretownwc.proboards22.com/index.cgi]
Old 18 Mar 2005, 16:59   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

cool. can you show me them when you're done.I'll try to get a pic of my first building that i built.
Closed Thread