Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Building a table
Old 27 Jul 2007, 23:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Building a table

I'm planning on building an 4'x8' table. Is it better to make a flat, textured table and then make hills, buildings, etc. on seperate bases, or to make a modular table with set scenery?
Old 28 Jul 2007, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus
Default Re: Building a table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintan
I'm planning on building an 4'x8' table. Is it better to make a flat, textured table and then make hills, buildings, etc. on seperate bases, or to make a modular table with set scenery?
I've got one type of table (The flat type) and my buddy's got the other type (modeled table).

Initially the modeled table that has its hills built in is more satisfying. You've got a ready made battle right there, ready do go. But before long, you get thinking "I've played this hill 20 times now. I want it to not be there...." and it doesn't go anywhere. It's always there.

Now I assume you're doing your 4'X8' table(bigger than I'm used to. I'm used to 4'X6&#39 in 4'X2' partitions and that can let you do some mixing with the modeled table, but even then, that hill will ALWAYS be entirely in one of those partitions. With a flat table with its terrain on their own bases, you can have a terrain feature that overlaps the lines between the partitions and isn't locked into being in one of those sections.

Bottom line: In the long run I think a flat table with pieces of terrain added and subtracted as needed is much better than a modeled table with its terrain built in.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 00:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well a 4x8 table would be longer than standard.
I recommended getting 2 4x4 tables and putting them together.
Usually, people just buy a long board of wood or pieces of styrofoam and stick em together.
Heres a good thread with pictures! http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=36820.0
Ok on the table, you can do the flat/textured surface, and put terrain on top for simple boards.

Following the simple board.

This follows the method of placing terrain (buildings, mountains, trees, etc) on the board

Ok so you either buy wood or styrfoam for your table ... next you will need an actual table to put the board/styrfoam on top.
-Using the wood board method, you will have to find the right size (you might need to buy 2-3 boards and cut it to size). Then you want to do is just slide them together (requires 2 tables usually). There .. you have your board.
-Using the styrofoam method, you will need more peices of styrofoam since they come in small sizes than wood. The good thing is that they are very light and can be molded (as seen in http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=48654.0).

Basing

Next is flock. Flock can be static grass, sand, or small bits of whatever that you want to be on the floor of your board. This decides what kinda board you want to make whether it would be a forest, desert, or snow.You will need A TON of PVA glue for this. My method is preparing the mix is three part glue and one part water. After you prepare the glue mix, you use a painting brush (like this http://www.e-painters.co.uk/painters/painters_brush.gif) and swab/brush the table with the PVA mix.
For grass and sand, you can either include it in your mix and brush it or sprinkle on top of the PVA-washed table. I'd prefer sprinkling it since it gives me a bit of control. After you're finished and it is dry, i make a 1 part PVA, 3-5 part water wash. I put that in a spray bottle and spray the board. This just helps it stabilize.

Ok theres your textured table board. All you need now is terrain on top.

Following the Modular Board

This follows the method of specific size bases and a pattern of that throughout the board allowing the swapping and displacement of terrain peices

You will need just a 4x8 board(s).
Different bases:
-Cardboard: Real simple, but beware of base warping (http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=49470.0)
-Styrofoam: A better material than cardboard (recommended)
-Wood: The sturdiest of the bunch. Isn't the cheapest or the lightest.
Ok, time to plan!
For City Boards:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=48695.0 This just shows the basics, if you want a 4x8 board, you will have to make modifications to my designs. READ the explanation before going to forest themes.
For Forrest Themes:
This is a bit trickier depending what you wish to include.
Rivers: There are two ways to do this, one simpler, and one more difficult method.
-Simpler method: You have a number of fixed positions that the river can be placed. Meaning, its limited to maybe 2,3 or 4 systems of placement. (I'm willing to give you a diagram/example on request)
-Difficult method: This requires a mathematician. You can arrange the board so that no matter where you a river piece and forming a river system, and the terrain isnt too cheezy. Its not simple to explain ... and i cant think of any way to do this myself but I'm sure it can be done.
Trees: Just put them on your base.
Mountains: Depending on size, you may wish to use a bigger base then regular. But once you finished the terrain piece, just stick it onto the base.

Basing Modular Boards
: You will just have to flock the base. Real simple but then there tends to be a lot of bases making it look like a tremendous task.

Supplies (Where? and How Much?)

Home Depot

-Wood boards (varies from size and quality/company)
-Styrofoam Blocks (These cost at least 8$+)

Hobby Stores

-Flock/basing (depending on size, a good 8 dollars for a 4x8 board)
-glue (1-2$)
-pre-made trees (vary)

Home

-Cardboard (free)
-glue

Internet

-Everything
- Styrofoam bases (http://stores.ebay.com/LloydysWorld)

If you wanna know how to do something, feel free to ask.

Excellent post! +1 Karma - 99 Skulls
Old 28 Jul 2007, 01:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

Nice Article, the basing section really helped me out

Now I can start the beginnings of the table I am making
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2007, 22:37   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have a bunch of 2'x2' pieces of particle board. Should i make set peices on each and reconfigure them each time I play, or should i stick them all together and make terrain on individual so i can reconfigure that way? I'm leaning towards the 1st idea, but I'm not sure...
Old 18 Aug 2007, 00:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well tell me what kind of map you are deciding to make. What kinda of theme ... Maybe a modular city or just a free forest map.
Old 18 Aug 2007, 00:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Great post Redemption, top notch advice!

LordBlacksteel
LordBlacksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2007, 20:11   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I was thinking a deserty board with jungles and an imperial outpost.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 00:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Now you have 8 2x2s that you want to make a desert/jungle board on. If you choose to build terrain DIRECTLY on the 2x2s, it will be a true modular board. Just make sure they will look "right" if they are moved around. If you want to put them all together and place terrain on top, thats fine too. It might even be easier.

Its your choice. Would you like to build on the 2x2 bases or do you want to put terrain ON TOP of the 2x2 bases. Personally, i would put it ON TOP because you don't need a modular board for desert/jungle terrain.