Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Planning Desert World table
Old 26 Jul 2007, 02:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Planning Desert World table

I'm going to build a desert table in the near future and I was thinking about making a tutorial for it as I do for alot of my terrain pieces. Its going to be a big table(8'x4&#39 and take alot of time so I thought I'd ask what you guys would like to see terrain wise. If you have any suggestions I'll add some of them in to some pieces.

My basic plan is to have quite a few hills with some rock spires here and there. Possibly a comm station or some such building. I was also thinking of a few wrecked vehicles half buried in sand dunes. I dunno I'm still in the planning stages so ideas would be great!

I'll be making this predominantly out of foam. I'm still deciding whether or not to use MDF bases or just cardboard. I'll probably go get supplies in a week or two and then start building. So the quicker you get your ideas to me the quicker I can start working on the preliminary sketches.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 06:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Planning Desert World table

Hardboard or MDF bases all the way mate. I've recently converted from using double corrugated card and I'm ashamed I didn't do it earlier! Not only do hardbases last a lot longer and somehow feel, more 'official' they don't warp. One of my biggest bug bears was when I spent hours lavishly creating a beautiful piece of terrain for my gaming board only for the card bases to warp when the glue I used to stick the terrain itself to the base dried up.

As for desert boards themselves, are you sculpting any hills onto the board itself or will be board be completely flat with with removable hills?

I'm back!
El Mariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 11:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol

Well you can't have a desert without an oasis or maybe a canyon. As for basing if you have cardboard great no shame in using it even if it warps a bit but if you can get hardboard or MDF great go for the upgrade but save your cardboard you never know when you'll need it thats what I do
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 17:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I really don't think the cardboard will warp when the majority of it has foam glued to it. I may use MDF, it just depends on how much I have to spend after buying a foam cutter and the other supplies.

The terrain pieces will be removable from the board itself, I have to use the table for other types of terrain as well.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 08:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

From my experience even with the majority covered in foam it will do. However, as I'm fully aware of at the moment creating a new board is an expensive venture so one must use what the budget allows! Afterall, you could always try and stick the card base to MDF in the future (although that might make too think a base). However, i'm not sure where you live but buying thin hardboard is pretty cheap with a 2 by 4ft area a few millimiteres thick (cant remember exactly how thick) is about 2 from B+Q.

In any case, I'm looking foward to seeing pictures

I'm back!
El Mariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 19:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, it's not super expensive for MDF, I was looking at some at the hardware store last weekend. I think that the foam cutter will be pretty expensive, though, unless I just get a wonder cutter. Plus, I've got armies to build, I can't spend all my loot on terrain! ;D
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Desert .. desert ...
well rock pillars are a given ...
I would like to see
-rock fountain
-desert shack (rundown)
-maybe some ork-related buildings
-Cactus! (bunched up in a section)
-wavy hill (not really hills ..)

edit+
A small area dedicated to a mine of some sorts.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 17:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Rundown desert shack is a requirement for any desert table. I'm not sure about Ork buildings cause I don't play them. Not yet anyway. :P I was thinking maybe a abandoned oil rig. I also forgot I had the terrain from BoM I got from Bwbits along time ago. I'll used that as a crash site for objectives or just regular terrain. I need to find a crappy old tank I can turn into terrain maybe I'll get a WW2 tank model for that.
Old 01 Aug 2007, 20:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

What about a railroad track? Or some sort of supply depot?
cawshis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2007, 10:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to tentonhammer

hey just a few ideas here for ya why not do what they did in the latest whitedwarf the one with the second BA update they designed a desert board for 3 game systems just by changing some terrain, and it tells you step by step a decent way to go about constructing the table itself,

if your on a tight budget, depending on where you live, find a Wilkinson's store, i bought my terrain supplies there, and its cheap, instead of using modelling sand i bought bird sand and bird gravel from Wilkinson's 49p EACH! if the bird sand has to many rocks in it no worries get a siv get rid of all the crap and keep the good stuff. when i sculpt bumps and stuff into my landscape buy patching plaster 99p i mean how good is that, cheap solutions are out there, just gotta look in the right places, if this helped I'm glad, if not oh well it kept me busy typing.
tentonhammer is offline   Reply With Quote