Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Terrain Rough Coat
Old 06 Jul 2007, 01:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Terrain Rough Coat

How do you guys add a rough coat to your terrain?
Some options are plaster, pva sand washes, spackling or whatever.

I want to ask what combination of PVA and sand and water or whatever other substance you use. I ran out of spackling and i want to try the PVA combination. Also, how do you apply it?
Old 06 Jul 2007, 04:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Terrain Rough Coat

I just pour roughly whatever amount of PVA I need in a container with a few drops of water and add desert flock. I keep the cap of a soda bottle in my flock container for pouring it. Usually half a cap to a full cap is plenty for bigger jobs. It's not really an exact science I just eyeball it until I get the consistency I want.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 17:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'll second 99 skulls suggestion. I tend to go 50-50 water to glue though and a decent mix of sand poured in once I got the water glue down....I always wind up with a thick mud of sand at the end of my application that I just scoop out and drop to form piles of ruin.

The looser mix does cause a bit of seepage as it's more like water than glue on my terrain, but I like the collection of the mixture at the lowest parts of my ruined buildings....it covers up any gaps I may have missed.

As for application, I just use an old terrain brush from the 99 cent bin at the local art store. If you wash it right after using it, you can prolly get 3 or 4 good applications with it. Also, I think the flatter/bigger brushes are better than smaller ones. Covering a large area makes the whole process faster.
cawshis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2007, 18:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Future Acrylic Floor Wax mixed 30/70 with Paint...maybe a little wetter - then mixed with sand. The Future is basically a resin and holds your sand on even better than water.

I've also been using Plasti-Kote's Stone Touch spray paint lately. It works pretty well...but isn't as hard as sand.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Depending on what I'm doing I will also use mudding/sheet rock compound/whatever other then it goes by.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

I used the 50/50 of white glue and water, but I don't add the sand directly into it. I brush it onto the terrain and then hold the sand in my hands over it and rub my hands together with the sand so that the sand is spread evenly.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 02:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Basecoat the area with glue, sprinkle sand (real sand, not the modeling sand) until it's fairly covered. Then use a water/glue mixture to drop over it. Once I'm pretty happy, turn over to dump the excess, then try to paint. The painting's the worst part, no matter WHAT brush I use for the small parts (like on unit bases) it always pulls some of it off, but you've just gotta be light.

Won't last forever but it's fairly quick and easy. You never expect terrain to last anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 04:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's why I throughly mix it rather than sprinkling it. It won't come off. I've got pieces of terrain about 10 years old that have been piled carelessy in boxes that are still in really good shape.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

I don't have a sand coming off problem with sprinkling. I just use two coats. Shake the piece off and tap its back to get off any loose sand (Preferably back into whatever you were putting sand/gravel in before) and then put another later on top of it. Let that dry and tap it off again. It SHOULD be good then. Occasionally it needs a third coat. You can then paint it no problem; spray or brush. When you're done hit it with a matte varnish spray to help seal it in.