Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Styrofoam Terrain *WIP* (Update 8/2/07, pics extremely HEAVY)
Old 30 Jun 2007, 08:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Styrofoam Terrain *WIP* (Update 8/2/07, pics extremely HEAVY)

I just bought 16 peices of 16x16" (.5 inch thick) tiles of styrofoam. (still being shipped)
My goals are to make
1. Modular City Fight Terrain
2. Eldar Warp Gates
3. Wraithbone Fins
4. Bunkers

I am in the process of drawing the designs on paper and i plan to update this thread with pictures and such. Does anybody have any pictures of "simple" designs? I would also appreciate more terrain ideas also. No Games-Workshop material please, i've already gone over that. Thank you!
Old 30 Jun 2007, 17:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Styrofoam Terrain *WIP*

Tell me how the modular city terrain and bunkers go, that is something like what I am trying, peace!
Old 30 Jun 2007, 19:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Definition (loose):a modular city is basically a city that you can rearrange around the buildings or terrain and nothing would stick out.
Threads:
heres a link http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89829

Explanation
Now i am going to go in-depth with this explaining this picture
http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plansxj9.gif
the 4x4 board will have 24 pieces of just pentagons and squares
The pentagons can be moved around in other pentagonal slots and the squares can move around other square slots. The colored pictures just shows his plan for big or small buildings.

Example(easy)
Imagine a 6x4 board

How many 12x12inch bases can you fit in 6x4?
the answer is 24 12x12inch bases. So from there, you just make all of your terrain bases 12x12 and not exceed that. Therefore you can move around your 12x12 bases any where you like.
Good: Very Simple design. Easy to follow
Bad: You will have to make A LOT of terrain
Things to watch out for:
-Side walks and roads. You have to make sure that there are places where you can fit a squad through as well as a vehicle. This can greatly limit the size of your building on the 12x12 base.
-You will also have to make some access ways into buildings if you dont want whole squads jumping from window to window. I recommend doors and blasted holes on the wall.

Other Ideas
Why limit yourself to 12x 12? Go make some 24x12 or 6x6! BE WARNED that if you use smaller than 12x12 bases, make sure you make enough so that it fits into a 12x12. For Example: 6x6inch base ... you will need 3 more 6x6 inch to fill in the 12x12. A 3x3 will need 15 other 3x3 bases to fill the 12x12 requirement.
Generally you can go even messier and have a combination of 6x6 and 24x24 with some 3x3 ... but you better have the design on paper first!

Back tracking a bit:
Since we just learned how to use combinations of 6x6, 3x3, 24x12, or even 12x18(you gotta think hard with what i told yea to get this one). This is the solution to roads. Sacrifice one of your 12x12 slots to make 4 6x6 pieces which you can use as a road.
To do this you have to think math-wise. You have a 4x6 board ... depending on how you look at it ... is it longer vertically or horizontally ... lets go with vertically. You have a width of 4 feet ... and a length of 6 feet. You sacrifice a 12x12 base gaining 4 6x6 bases. You just move those 6x6 bases between different 12x12 bases and VOILA ... you have roads.

for picture 2:If you don't like having 6 inches on one side and not on the other, just make both sides 6x3 so both sides have a small mini sidewalk.

After getting a good feel
:
The next thing to work on is getting a "360 sense" of the building. Modular doesn't limit the terrain to be moved around ... it should also be rotated! A 360 sense is basically making your terrain so that it has a good feel to it no matter which way it is rotated within the city.

Example(harder):
http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plansxj9.gif
Whats this? I am using the same image from the top? Well the thing is, this is a harder type of design. This isn't symmetrical 12x12 base but a combination of pentagon, square, and equilateral diamond base (rotated squares).
Good: This board is actually more diverse because of more shapes being used for bases.
Bad: More trouble for roads. You will have to shape your building to fit the base.

Old 30 Jun 2007, 19:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah 24 12x12 terrain pieces, but do you not need space in between or for roads and what not?
Old 30 Jun 2007, 19:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

i wasnt done explaining and i have the solution

i'll do a tutorial on the bunkers after i get my styrofoam.
Old 01 Jul 2007, 04:42   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Check out my thread for just basic ideas.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=48654.0
RRKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2007, 15:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

As a note, I'm doing a similar thing right now. I already have about 80 12"x12" terrain boards of various slopes and such (most of which fit with others to make some nice hills & rolling terrain). I'm now building 8 12"x12" buildings and 1 12"x24" temple.

I mention this because my roads are of two sizes 6"x12" or 6"x6". The longer are for streets whereas the square ones are for intersections. Thus, on a 48" wide board, I can have a house, a street, a house, a street, a house. On the 72" length of the board, I can do a similar thing by staggering streets & houses. I could make blocks, if I'd like. The only caveat is that I match my streets up one for one to give me a whole 12" width.

Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 13:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

+++You`ve really thought this through, I would be surprised if you get all that terain out of that much polystyrene though. It may sound silly, but what does WIP stand for?+++

Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 13:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

It stands for Work In Progress. And yeah, I agree. You may need more supplies mate.
Old 03 Jul 2007, 18:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

My current list of supplies-
Styrofoam
Cardboard
FoamCore Boards
Spackle
Speck Stone
MORE PVA!
Boltgun Metal Spray
Sand
filler besides spackle ...

I am just doign a quick run-through in my mind ..
And the styrofoam was shipped yesterday to Priority Post ....So i beleive i shall receive it in 4 days. This WIP thread is going by slowly ..