Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Mega Battle board: "D-day invasion" (Pic Heavy)
Old 26 May 2007, 23:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default New Mega Battle board: "D-day invasion" (Pic Heavy)

Well, my friend's history teacher is making them create games for world history, and he was doing D-day, so we decided that it might be cool to do a dumbed down style of Warhammer for his D-day game, and use the board later on for a Mega Battle.

An opportunity we simply couldn't pass up on; I mean who honestly hasn't ever wanted to reenact a beach invasion... in miniature form!

Anyways, my friend's assigned partner is a complete slacker and not helping out at all (he also doesn't play 40k) so I went over to my friend's today, and we got a lot done.

The whole thing should be finished in a couple of months, the teacher said the board doesn't have to be painted. So as soon as that's finished, expect to see a large battle report on the Guard board.

> there's going to be a lot of blood.

Anyways, the fruits of our labors:

Overview. The water was painted by yours truly, and the sandy beach is just GW sand mixed with standard plaster, and spread by hand across the board. To the far left, there's a piece of the seawall that is removable, so that the attacking play can blow it up with charges or something. That one was also my idea.

The mini is an apothecary. The wooden thing is some kind of barricade, I forget its name right now. My friend is making loads of 'em. The trench there will also have firing steps on it, made out of popsicle sticks. We haven't started on the area behind the seawall, my friend will be doing that relatively flat and easy part by himself.

Close up... that plaster was spread by hand, my hand.

Another close up.

To show you close up what the "blown up" section looks like. It's obviously going to be a difficult choke point to get beyond the wall, and I forsee some fierce fighting in this section.

Overview, with the blown up section.

Close up... yeah, my friend likes to take photos.

Aaaaand, another close up.

Comments + critiques are welcome. Also, who do you think should defend, and who should attack? The armies who will participate can be Guard, Orks, Dark Angels, tiny force of Eldar, tiny force of Tau, and a smallish force of Black Templars.

Thanks for looking!
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 02:32   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: New Mega Battle board: "D-day invasion" (Pic Heavy)

I think that its looking good so far, but I must comment on one thing, weren't the defensive positions ON the wall? Just a thought...

As for defending, going by the way your going to have it set up, have the small armies defending, more or less for the realism, as the Allied outnumbered the Axis by just over a million, rougly 3.8 to 1 overall.

1,452,000 (by July 25)[1] 380,000 (by July 23)[2]
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 00:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well the trenches aren't the only defenses we're going to have.

Chances are he won't make the bunkers for the school project until his homework level goes down. Unfortunately, he's a HUGE overachiever, so that, too won't happen 'till summer.

Any ideas for bunkers?
Old 28 May 2007, 23:05   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

For bunkers, if you have the larger hard cover rulebook then...there's that one in the combat Patrol section (don't own it anymore, lost it, so I'm guessing the position.)

but anyways, great work so far man ^_^
Old 28 May 2007, 23:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That choke point will be brutal for the attacking team...for game fairness, I'd make some other way to get over the wall (vehicles especially).

Also, is the attacking army going to start on the beach, or are you going to make up a house rule for landers?
Because they're all controlled by me.
VanderBleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
For bunkers, if you have the larger hard cover rulebook then...there's that one in the combat Patrol section (don't own it anymore, lost it, so I'm guessing the position.)

but anyways, great work so far man ^_^
I'm pretty sure that its next to the special missions, IE Bunker Assault.
Old 29 May 2007, 14:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanderBleek
That choke point will be brutal for the attacking team...for game fairness, I'd make some other way to get over the wall (vehicles especially).

Also, is the attacking army going to start on the beach, or are you going to make up a house rule for landers?
I know, and that's what I tried to tell him! I thought at least we should have it in the middle, not far corners, and that we should have 2 or maybe 3.

He thought we should only have 1, and since it is effectively his school project, there was nothing I could do about it.

Anyways, updates:

He added the firing steps:

He's wondering whether they're too low- comments?
Old 29 May 2007, 14:36   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think that it looks to be about the right hight. For bunkers you could also try some 2 story ones. I'll try to find the link to some lego ones I did a while back, two two story ones.

Found them, here's the link - http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...#msg1058230869
Old 29 May 2007, 17:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Free Tip: As you can see the white glue is balling up, and taking a long time to dry (for your sandy beaches) Here is the faster way to do this.

Glue and form your extruded Foamboard first, then give the ENTIRE foamboard a coating of FLAT WHITE WALL paint the El-chepo stuff $7.00 a Gallon at Lowes or home Depot (If your in the USA)

Paint this on as a thin layer, then lay your glue down on the dryed paint, the glue will not clump, and if you mix water in with white PVC glue you can use a squeze sprayer to put your glue down, then use your hands to spread the sand down.

It will cut your drying time in half.

If you continue down this current method, the sand will begin to chip off as it cant really grab to the foam. It will grab a hold of the white paint.

looks good so far!

LordBlacksteel

LordBlacksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 19:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Buckton98

Destroying the conversation you lot are havin'... I believe that wooden thing is a tank trap.

Fallout ;D
Buckton98 is offline   Reply With Quote