Send a message via MSN to Niatica
Default board size

do boards need to be a specific size?

do they have to have cover?

any other tips?
Old 19 Mar 2007, 18:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: board size

It is recommended you have terrain covering 25% of the board for a standard game.

The "standard" board size is 6' x 4'.

For smaller faster games, anything 1000 points or less a 4' x 4' board works fine.

Any bigger than 1000 points and I strongly recommend using a 6x4.

I played in a craptacular tournament two weekends ago, the store had less than 25% terrain on the boards and they were all 4 x 4. The game sizes were 1700 points.

There was basically no room to maneuver on the tables and the gameplay seriously suffered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 02:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I recommend a 4x6 gameboard split into two pieces. Why two pieces? Because it's easier for storage primarily but 4x3 isn't so bad for small games AND it's nice and easy to expand/modify. Need another 3' for some monstrously large battle? Slap another side on! Want to make it a 8x6 but aren't sure how? Get another 4x6 and cut it lengthwise instead. Heck, make a 6x6 by only using one piece. Want to get REALLY creative? Quarter each board instead of halve it.

You could also make a quasi-permanent board by reinforcing it with battens but honestly most of us just don't have the space for that (or the strength as that amount of plywood in that size gets very heavy VERY quickly).

However, there's no "rule" that says a board "has" to be a particular size, go with what you like. 4x6 is the standard, though, and suitable for all sorts of battles.

Terrain is something that most of us like to keep modular. Know those little flip-top lid tubs you see at your local hardware store? Grab one of those, preferably about three feet wide, and it makes a fantastic storage tub for modular terrain.

Need to spice up the look of the table easily? Simple, go down to your local fabric store and pull out a few yards of fabric that looks appropriate and drape it over the table before setting up terrain. I recommend crushed velvet but that might end up being out of your price range. Whatever it is make sure it's thick and store it like a blanket.

All of this IS going to add to some setup time for your gaming experience. A couple of minutes to slap the board up, another minute to drape the board, then pull out the terrain, then pull out your armies from your carriers...but ultimately I don't think anybody sits down to play warhammer without a whole afternoon, so it's inconsequential. Depending on your age range (and country) I'd recommend having a few drinks of some variety and make it a social thing to set up the table.

EDIT: almost forgot, the more terrain the better. Seriously. Some people may say only a couple of pieces but I've found that the more terrain you've got (barring a complete city) the more interesting the fight's going to be. The only armies that ever have a good time with limited terrain are those with extremely long range weaponry. That pretty much means the Tau and Imperial Guard where nothing can hide from the uber-powerful guns. That's just no fun for anyone. Even if they're little things like large rocks and treelines representing forests believe me when I say you should cover as much of that table with terrain as you can.

After all, when's the last time you looked outside and saw...nothing? Just look outside and picture the Emporer's finest waging war with a warband of Greenskins and you'll get an idea of how cool terrain makes a battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

another thing.....

don't glue down your terrain. my board has a clif, river, roads, a hill in the corner and another hill with a trench. it looks beutiful, but the games can get boring with no mobile terrain.

im working on making mobile trees on a base, to try to add spice.
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 16:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For board size, I'd recommend initially getting two 4'x2' boards. This'll give you a nice 4'x4' board for your early (smaller) games, and is easy to store. It also gives plenty of room for expansion by adding on extra 4'x2' boards.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 17:55   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks, i'm thinking a 60 inch X 25 inch desert board. any tips on that?
Old 22 Mar 2007, 18:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niatica
thanks, i'm thinking a 60 inch X 25 inch desert board. any tips on that?
AACK! To small!

The majority of scenarios require you to be 24" from your opponent. That's not happening on a 25" board...

I'd suggest 48" x 48" for a "Starter" board. This size is perfect for games up to 1000 points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 11:29   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

what about 60 inch X 30 inch?

I nead those 60 inches for a long-ranged victory!

with XV88 rail guns!

...ya!
Old 25 Mar 2007, 11:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niatica
what about 60 inch X 30 inch?

I nead those 60 inches for a long-ranged victory!

with XV88 rail guns!

...ya!
Well.. It will not be fun for your opponet then will it? In the end he will stop playing you.

I have a 48" x 48" board that we play up to 1500 points. It works nice but can be a bit crowded for my sisters but my regular opponents Necrons have no problem. So actually if you play aries with expensive troops and less models you can survive with a smaller board.

I recommend you do like Kasrkin recommednde which is what I have, two boeards of 48" x 24" and then eventuallty get a third one.

60" x 30" will not be fun to play. Its to thin to manuvere tactically or if you play the other direction you will get to small deployment zone.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 02:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

make it as big as you want, but make sure that you make it in individual sections so that you can fully customise the size of your board depending on how many points you are playing.
firewarrior123 is offline   Reply With Quote