Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hell's Arch
Old 04 Mar 2007, 03:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Hell's Arch

Hey all,

I just wanted to post some pics of Hell's Arch, one of our custom tables for Our 40K Group. I work with the meetup group for Ice House Warriors in Newark Delaware. This is one of our new tables, called Hells Arch.

Have a look, at a few of these pictures.

Next Up, I will post some pics of Nail canyon, a throwable canyon layout.

In process, ab Ice flows table (moveable Ice chunks) and an Eldar theamed table, and later (by August) we will have our Lava flows table too!

Enjoy all
LordBlacksteel

A newb to the game, not a newb to making tables.
LordBlacksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2007, 03:40   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Hell's Arch

Heya man, welcome to the forums (unless you already have been :P).

That table is magnificent! What did you use to make it? How much time did it take you guys? My friend and I have recently decided to take more interest in terrain (as we currently have zippo ). And if you could answer this, what is better for a couple of beggining Terrain Builders, some small random stuff or to try and get a board together?
Old 04 Mar 2007, 15:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Greetings Lonely Tau>

The Table was made with a wood frame, (4) Four pieces of 2-1/2' x 1/2" x 6'long (Pine) for the box frame, and 2 strips supports, the base of the table is 2" Foam board (Pink) you can see it in the back ground. (This is the most cost, as its $20.00 a sheet)

The two hills were also made with 2" Foam and simply glued on with PVC.

With respect to the amount of time that it took to build this table. From start to finish, it took 4 days to build this table, with about 4 hours of time per day, we worked on this in the evening, after work, and the table needed time to dry.

The most expensive things for this table was the initial investment of the foam cutter, and the Water which needed 4 bottles (Water sells @ $12.50 per bottle) to do that small river, it took several days for it to cure up too. That little river alone was a $50.00. So think out your table WELL before you start to build it. And Really think about how much water your going to really want on a table.

The edges and terrain features were cut using an Electric foam cutter. Made by Foamfactory. http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/home.php

Let me tell you if you want the BEST Results, Buy the full package Known as the K40 Pro Model for $99.00, then buy the 2 add on tools. The ad is a little deceiving, where your NOT getting the four tools, your only getting your CHOICE of the 4 tools, you only get 2 tools for this price.(look at the Pro Models) #K47 - Pro Model 4-In-1 Hot Wire Foam Factory $174.00 (I bought this one)

This will be the biggest (cost), and BEST investment to making Table top terrain.

Where to start:

Bunkers, Trenches, and even thousands of Craters or hills as throw able terrain will be the best place to start.

I have lots of golden rules, but for those just stating out, that’s the place to begin with make one table, and use one flat foam board base, Place/glue sand on it, and then paint that board with latex, and then a 2nd coat of a color. Then make smaller terrain pieces to build up forests, or hills or huge stone rocks.

You can see more of our battles here: http://warhammer.meetup.com/76/
in the Photo section

LordBlacksteel
Old 05 Mar 2007, 01:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
That table is magnificent!
Quoted for truth (known as QFT in some circles).

I have only one question, where on earth do you store those tables and how? I know the main reason we never make custom tables is just because of the fear of always playing on the same table since we don't have space to stack multiple tables. Is there just a room you keep gaming tables in or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 10:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Great table! The river is awesome, the water looks really realistic ;D
Old 05 Mar 2007, 11:52   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Ooooooo.... pretty table....
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 13:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXX
Quote:

I have only one question, where on earth do you store those tables and how? I know the main reason we never make custom tables is just because of the fear of always playing on the same table since we don't have space to stack multiple tables. Is there just a room you keep gaming tables in or what?
Greetings Foxx> Our game room is at our club which is a very large room 60 foot x 90 foot, so we don't have to move tables at all, they stay in the same place all the time.

However if the table had to be moved or stored (Like in your home), the Arch can be removed, the key to this is using Bamboo skewers, and some white glue (PVC) to attach the arch to the board. It could be removed, and then re-attached.

The table is only 6" tall, even with the big (Foam) rocks that are attached.

If your limited on storage space, then I would suggest that you build boards or tables in 2 foot by 2 foot sections, this way you can build a table that has a frame to it, and the 2 foot x 2 foot blocks or sections could be added in as you wanted them.

Lastly terrain gaming (especially in this game) will require spare space, so you should plan to have some place to store your map boards, or tables, if you need to put them away. But no matter what they will consume space.

I would have a difficult time storing this at my home too, so I understand your point. Thats why we build these for our club.

LordBlacksteel
Old 05 Mar 2007, 15:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

That table is incredible! I really like your terrain, it's just so damn real. Gives me something to aspire to with my terrain making.
Old 05 Mar 2007, 17:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBlacksteel
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXX
Quote:

Greetings Foxx> Our game room is at our club which is a very large room 60 foot x 90 foot, so we don't have to move tables at all, they stay in the same place all the time.

However if the table had to be moved or stored (Like in your home), the Arch can be removed, the key to this is using Bamboo skewers, and some white glue (PVC) to attach the arch to the board. It could be removed, and then re-attached.

The table is only 6" tall, even with the big (Foam) rocks that are attached.

If your limited on storage space, then I would suggest that you build boards or tables in 2 foot by 2 foot sections, this way you can build a table that has a frame to it, and the 2 foot x 2 foot blocks or sections could be added in as you wanted them.

Lastly terrain gaming (especially in this game) will require spare space, so you should plan to have some place to store your map boards, or tables, if you need to put them away. But no matter what they will consume space.

I would have a difficult time storing this at my home too, so I understand your point. Thats why we build these for our club.

LordBlacksteel
Good ideas and it sounds nice to have such a large place to keep your tables! We've built a basic table out of two 4x3 sheets of 1/4" thick plywood. With a 4x6 sheet of green crushed velvet and a box of terrain it's pretty much good for anything but requires more setup. Still, it's easy and modular for storage I suppose.

I like that the arch is removable, that'd make it much easier to store such an awesome table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2007, 00:30   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Awsome board. To bad it reminds me of my two currently unreachable desires:
1)I wish I had access to that pink foam board
2)I wish I was as good enough at terrain building to create things like that.
*Sigh*
Flaming Aun

May not your shot be positioned by your enemy, but your enemy positioned by your shot.

"98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig."
Flaming Aun is offline   Reply With Quote