Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Terrain that bites back
Old 16 Feb 2007, 21:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default Terrain that bites back

Hailings

I'm just looking for Ideas for Interactive terrain the Creature Feature rules are alot of fun but I've been thinking what else could be fun. I recently started an Eldar warp gate and thought maybe beingable to keep an unit in reseave to allowe it to enter via the warp gate. I've also been toying with an "Oberlisk of light" an tower that fires between turns. It would have rules like it'll always target the closest target or maybe even have the players roll off the highist roll wins and would have to have a ranged attack powerful enough to kill nearly every infentry unit and strong enough to damage tanks.

Range 12" S 6 AP 3 Type heavy 1, Lance

Ideas are welcome / What I'm looking for

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2007, 21:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum
Default Re: Terrain that bites back

With similar rules you could do something like a malfunctioning Tau turret...
Old 16 Feb 2007, 22:11   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Sounds cool mate.
The Eldar webway ( ) gate looks cool so far, it'll rock when you've finished it. Perhaps my Eldar will be able to use it? ^^

Anyhoo, I think the Obelisk is way too powerful, unless it was going to be some kind of objective (in which case it would be pretty hard to hold!). Maybe make it:

Range: 12" S: 4 AP: 6 Type: Rapid Fire
?
But then I suppose it is too weak to have much bearing on a game...
If you're looking for dangerous terrain maybe things with an 'area of effect' such as a radioactive crystal that causes damage/malfunction to nearby units or some kind of carniverous plant...?
It's not that the Obelisk idea isn't awesome...I'm just not sure how it would work. :-\

Old 17 Feb 2007, 00:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That tower reminds me of the sentry tower in one of the Beasties episodes when they went to the alien world.

The tower could fire at whatever unit killed the most number of models (tanks count as 10). It could do soemthing like: Small Blast ST 6 AP -

This would make a good roll a bad thing =P
Old 17 Feb 2007, 00:58   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

ooh! creativity at 1:45 in the morning!!

Mantrap: If any unit ends it's move within 2" of the mantrap, it suffers a wound on 4+. attacks count as being from a heavy close combat weapon.

spine grass: counts as difficult terrain. Any roll of one on either dice the unit takes 3d6 wounds at strength 2. Any failed pinning tests automatically roll.

rat infested building: any unit that is pinned, or fails a moral check has wounds inflicted equal to the number of models +d6 (ie a unit of 8 guardsmen have 8+d6 wounds inflicted) these count as being strength d3. roll for the whole unit. Only effects units on the ground floor.

Mutatable biomass: The mass does not restric line of sight but restricts movement. Any line of sight that crosses the mass or any templates that effect it, causes an extra blast marker sized clob to be added, touching the current portion. Use a scatter dice to determine where additional blobs end up. The Mass starts as them same size as the large blast marker.

Acid storm: roll a d6 for each unit on the table before the game. on a roll of 6 the unit suffers d6x2d6 strength 2 hits. Vehicles are unaffected.

Space warp:A strange anommoly between the warp and the material universe has occured. Place each unit as normal. And immediately roll a d6. This is the real turn of the game. re-roll if a six occurs. Units all have a free movemnt phase before the game.

Teleportation experiments deploy as normal. then roll 2d6 and the scatter dice for each unit on the board. this is there new position. If they end up off the table edge then they have entered a place unknow to sane men. remove as casualty.

Mysterious gunman Roll a D6 for each independant charachter on the board, including those in units, or attached to units, or with retinues Starting with the highest point model. On a roll of 1 the target has become the attention of someone unknown, roll as per a normal sniper rifle.

thats all that i can come up with.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 02:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol

that's some good stuff nightmare
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 08:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

How about a...

Detention center

Kill the Prisoners gain 100 VP's, or release them and have 100 points worth of traitor guardsmen.

Teleport pad

who ever controll this objective will gain +1 to their reseave rolls for all teleporting troops, or Have a squad move onto the pad in the movement phase and enter play on another pad as if they've disembarked from a vehicle

Hot ashes

The ground is covered with a recently cooled lava flow "safe" enough to wage war on but their are weak points these count as dangous terrain and the unit suffer 3D6 lasgun shots (heat-based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare

Mutatable biomass: The mass does not restric line of sight but restricts movement. Any line of sight that crosses the mass or any templates that effect it, causes an extra blast marker sized clob to be added, touching the current portion. Use a scatter dice to determine where additional blobs end up. The Mass starts as them same size as the large blast marker.
I love this Idea but how would I model it?

KQD

-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2007, 08:41   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I imagined it as a clear tentical thing. So get some clear goo!
Old 17 Feb 2007, 13:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol

Those are some ideas worth working on the teleport pads could be a simple piece of terrain to make the detention center could be something cool to work on plus converting some IG and catachan into guards and prisoners ;D

The hot ash could nearly be a hole or a good part of a game board you could use that spray insulation foam prime black drybrush gray with some lava FX in spots.
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2007, 16:30   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

okay ive got some more!

Muddied battle field: The entire battle fireld is covered in mud (think somme). All movement counts as being in very difficult terrain (1d6) or in difficult terrain but a roll of a one means an armour save has to passed or a model drowns in the mud.

Floodied battle field: All movement counts as being in difficult terrain for size 2 models, dangerous terrain for size 1 and has no effect on size 3 or more.

The fight above: There is a ranging space/ air battle above. Each turn each player gets to place d6 frag missiles, these missiles auto-scatter 2d6.

Sandcrawler: A giant worm tries to eat a random unit. Roll a scatter dice, and the unit first unit encountered from the centre of the board int the direction of the scatter is effected. The unit takes d3 strength 5 hits and i automatically pinned (no Ld test required - they are trying to avoid being swallowed whole, bravery doesn't come into it)

Mine littered battle field: All movement counts as being in a minefield.

The hole A giant, underground pre-heresy nuclear reactor has caved in scattering nuclear radiation far and wide. This has two effects - one being a scenario, and the other a battle wide effect (i like them...)

The battle effect: Each unit on the battle field takes D6 wounds at strength 5 and ap 5. This does not effect morale.

The scenario: the hole is the objective. place a 12" hole in the centre of the board. In addition to the usual conditions of the scenario, whichever side has the most units at the end of teh game within 6" of the hole wins. If it is a draw, the original scenario rules apply. In addition any unit that is within 6" of the hole has the attle field effect increased to 2d6, str 6 ap 4.