Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

freebies!
Old 22 Dec 2006, 16:43   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default freebies!

Okay, im wanting a board. My home playing is getting more momentum (5 players + me)

Only problem is that i don't have a single penny to my name.

Any ideas for creating a dirt cheap board OR terrain pieces. ( i have an old pool table thats currently being pressed into service)

HELP ME!

i have terrian that my parents bouht for me when i was nine! and a few boxes painted in grey with windows and ruins hacked into them
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2006, 17:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: freebies!

What's the budget?

I'd say with xmas just around the corner, you have a ton of opportunity to get all the packaging/cardboard you need to put together a good amount of ruins and buildings.

Hitting up a cheap place like Wal-Mart or CVS in the holiday aisle is also a great place to get snow-covered trees/cottages/streetlamps etc. A lot of time all that stuff hits the bargain bin on like the 26th or even sooner.

For an actual board, probably the sturdiest thing you can get is 3 boards of plywood at 2x4 measurements. At Home Depot, I think the total was about 30 bucks for all 3 pieces....I might be remembering wrong though. I assume you at least have a good size table to put the pieces on.

Lastly, hit up model train shops. A lot of times, they will have bargain bins with very nicely made terrain or broken terrain bits that you can fix up for WH40k or WH. Look for the dustiest places in the store.
cawshis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2006, 19:09   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you live in a family who all are tech freaks i can't start to even tell you the amount of packaging i used all collected free to me! most can even be used unpainted and ready to but thrown down and ready to go! and if the stuff doesn't look good rip it up and make piles of rubble always a way to use it all!

And try some pet shops for fish tank decorations... I got some bad ass roman pillers to use. Also try going to places with soil and rubble that can be sold by the yard, I've went and asked is they wouldn't mind if i got a bucket full of small rocks and sand and the guy way kewl enough to just let me at it! If not Steal them from a neighbors yard like My cousin did!
"Make your sacafices... gather your dice... read your dex's like bibles... and live in fear of the dice gods' snake eyes which gaze upon those who are not worthy of the title 'Table master'..." -Shas'La N'dras Ka'ra
ShasLa Ndras Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2006, 22:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShasLa Ndras Kara
If not Steal them from a neighbors yard like My cousin did!
It's not stealing unless you get caught, otherwise it is just borrowing permanently without permission. ;D
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
freezing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2006, 22:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Take a look at my ork board. Im using pretty cheap stuff, thats easy to get together. All up ive spent around AU $50 on materials. (which is something like 20 pounds). Which has gotten me: a 3-part sand detailed board, 3 generic buildings and 3 sets of rubble.

Obviously the cost would be halved if I didnt bother to make my boards and simply used a coloured table cloth, which is much cheaper, but you still need a table of some kind to put it on.

Old 10 Jan 2007, 13:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My board statred off as a 4ft by 4ft mdf(around 14 ) then upgraded it a little while later.
As for terrain use to go walking by my local canel looking for rocks, branches etc to use.
Also try ebay as some one is always selling terrain for cheap.
Hope this helps
warped_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2007, 15:12   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Where do you live? Our club wants to chuck a couple of our boards to make room for new ones.

A square bit of MDF isn't too much, and you say you have some terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2007, 20:48   #8 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Yeah, I'm gettin' started on my CoD board now (I've got all me bitz! ;D) lucky enough for me on my 16th Birthday (21st February) I'm getting an Imperial Sector ^-^ (Gloat! Gloat!) so next time there is a birthday or a money day, get one!

If not have a go at making your own, Industrial boards and Terrain are cheap to do.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 23:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My trench board costs around $40 USD. It's decent but not good for anything over 4 x 4 feet.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2007, 23:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

You can make loads of cheap ruined buildings with foamcore which is available just about anywhere for a couple bucks a sheet.