Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Metal gamming table.
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2006, 15:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Metal gamming table.

Hello all, I usually post under the Tyranid section, but thought that this would fall under terrain.

I've been playing around with this idea for a while. Now that the gaming table we (my friends and I) used to play one is gone, I was going to try and make a metal table top for Warhammer 40k.

The reason behind the metal over a cheaper wood table top would be because of magnets. I wanted to convert all the current trees and terrain we are using to be magnetized. I thought it would be cool to place forest terrain tree by tree instead of having the same shaped forests.

This would also help keep the models from falling over (darn hormagaunts keep falling) simply by putting magnets on the bottom of the bases.

Has anyone done anything like this? I know they make magnets for the bases, and I've seen some forums about hobby magnets. Anyways, just throwing this idea out there for some feedback. Tell me what you think, even if it's that I'm insane to build something like this. ;D
Old 23 Oct 2006, 18:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Metal gamming table.

Well the only problem I see with it is it would simply get expensive real quick. Buying magnets for the troops wouldn't be too bad but the ones big enough for pieces of terrain would be anywhere from $7 and up. You could still convert your terrain to be single trees and just weigh it down rather than magnetize it. Same thing with your hormagaunts. Glue a penny or a nickel under its base. It won't fall anymore. It's cheaper than buying a bunch of magnets and will work just as well.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 23:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Honestly, it might be better to just weight your bases. I stick washers in mine.

You will quickly figure out why when you have to do a pile in move and all your bases jump on top of each other and make a big mess.

And a metal table is more expensive. Save your money and buy more models. That's my logic at least.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 00:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

Use a wood table and stick a thin sheet of metal on top of it. Much cheaper. I'd buy small rare earth magnets and stick them right in the middle of your bases. That way they'd be far away from your other models' magnets. That coupled with the pull downwards on your metal table will be enough to keep them apart. I magnetize the arms on most my models and they dont magnet to the guy next to them. The only problem I see is that if you make hills you're going to have to get creative putting metal underneath them, since thats where most your models are probably falling over.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 02:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBasser
This would also help keep the models from falling over (darn hormagaunts keep falling) simply by putting magnets on the bottom of the bases.
Attempting a completely magnetic table because of this is a very expensive craft. There are two much less pricey alternatives to this table that you could go by. If you want a metal table to magnetize your Hormagaunts, just take a small metal sheet and use that over the top of your main wood table. Or, an even cheaper, and possibly free approach, a substitute for the magnets; gravity. Take some spare model bits and glue them onto the opposite side of your Hormagaunts' bases. This weighs down the large Scything Talons, and should be free if you keep a bitz box. You can also get very fluffy with these, making simple base terrain cofigurations such as plants and rocks, that will do just fine as weights.

Even spare Ripper models should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBasser
The reason behind the metal over a cheaper wood table top would be because of magnets. I wanted to convert all the current trees and terrain we are using to be magnetized. I thought it would be cool to place forest terrain tree by tree instead of having the same shaped forests.
Most hobbying stores sell tree bases and terrain pieces individually. Large amounts of trees as a whole base is something I've never seen before. Usually you can just reconfigure your terrain bases because they are all separate. I don't know what you're using.
Just pick up some normal trees. Most hobbying stores sell them very cheaply. Add that with weighed down Hormagaunts and you won't need to purchase expensive magnets for that sort of thing. There are many, more basic alternatives to almost all hobbying issues.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 04:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A much cheaper alternative to making the whole table magnetic for trees is to make small area bases for the trees that are metal. GW did a fairly good article on this in the Wood Elves section of thier site. You just put a small section of metal under the area base. So it's just a section of ground that's textured. Then you take tree bases and magnetize them so they stick to the forested area. Then you can either WYSIWYG the trees or declare it size 2 or 3 area terrain.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 09:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

Not only will this be extremely expensive but you will be dissapointed to find that the day you finish it and your all excited about playing a game with your friends, and your friends tell you to take it to their place you will find that your car will crush under the weight of it.

To be honest, all you have to do is put something on the underside of the base. although the only underside I can see is that you may find that your bigger models tip over on any hills because the weight puts it off balance but this will probably not happen.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 06:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Metal gaming table? Ok, start with a drum set, some pyrotechnics and.... oh.

Not a great idea.
Old 05 Nov 2006, 18:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Heh, you guys should have just let him look up the price of a 4' by 6' sheet of iron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 06 Nov 2006, 18:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

why don't you buy a sheet of a magnetic metal, quite thin and then just glue it to a wooden table?

Closed Thread