Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to make cities of death terrain with polystrene trays
Closed Thread
Old 19 Oct 2006, 08:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default How to make cities of death terrain with polystrene trays

Ok, some of you may remember white dwarf 201. It was a good one. Space marine bikes were introduced but also the idea of making terrain out of the polystyrene packages. This stuff is like gold nowadays. Luckily I had a large amount I found at my parents house awhile back and this is what I made.

Also, I've found some more in the garage at my place and I will have a step-by-step for anyone who still has what may seem to be useless packaging material laying around. If you've got it, save it. I'll be back soon with the how-to.

Old 19 Oct 2006, 13:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How to make cities of death terrain (old school)

Very nice indeed. That is one of the few bad things about GW going all plastic - no nice polystyrene packaging. You've also just reminded me of back in WD 207, where this guy made a huge (about 4' tall) Space Hulk/Necromunda terrain board out of almost nothing but polystyrene. Those were the days.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 26 Oct 2006, 08:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How to make cities of death terrain with polystrene trays

I've been busy since I originally posted this thread but I do intend to post a how-to if anyone is still interested. However, I've gotten basically no posts on the subject which leads me to believe either noone is interested or noone has polystyrene trays to make this sort of terrain. Either way, I gonna make some terrain this weekend while I watch football. I should say I haven't made any plans for what sort of buildings I'm going to make so I thought it would be cool if you guys gave me your ideas for terrain and I will make a one or two buildings based on your ideas.

Send me your ideas for any building that would work for cities of death and I'll pick one or two I like and do a tutorial for them. That will make it fun for me to get some new ideas from you guys and with your input you'll get to see the project from start to finish.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 18:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One thing people never really do for terrain pieces (at least in my experience) is to put in normal civvy-type buildings. Shops, schools, hospitals, that sort of thing. Let us know how it goes.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 26 Oct 2006, 22:10   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

I want a step-by-step instruction bit of doom!

I just didnt really want to clutter up the thread with something that comes out intelligently stupid, because I have no idea about how to do lots of terrain...

Looks nice though!

Old 28 Oct 2006, 06:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I love doing buildings like this, I've got a crapload of this stuff laying around waiting for me to do my modular city. If you're keen-eyed late at night on garbage day, you'll sometimes find bags of this stuff sitting at the curb. I've been too tempted too many times, but I've got lots that I haven't done anything with yet so I haven't grabbed anything. However, as soon as I find I have a need....
Old 28 Oct 2006, 09:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

I love it.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 02:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Not enough firing slits for my troops, but it looks good on the table, d-bag
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 01 Nov 2006, 06:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

It looks great.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 03 Nov 2006, 21:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by the execution of all things
I've been busy since I originally posted this thread but I do intend to post a how-to if anyone is still interested. However, I've gotten basically no posts on the subject which leads me to believe either noone is interested or noone has polystyrene trays to make this sort of terrain. Either way, I gonna make some terrain this weekend while I watch football. I should say I haven't made any plans for what sort of buildings I'm going to make so I thought it would be cool if you guys gave me your ideas for terrain and I will make a one or two buildings based on your ideas.

Send me your ideas for any building that would work for cities of death and I'll pick one or two I like and do a tutorial for them. That will make it fun for me to get some new ideas from you guys and with your input you'll get to see the project from start to finish.
Heya,

Most certainly interested in the guide. If you have the time, do indeed write up your `how to' on the subject. They look very good and I'm sure a write up along with those pictures would be a great submission to the main site as well. Many of us refuse to even touch a White Dwarf, so getting it from a human being would be a nice exchange ;D. Good things on the horizon with this...

Cheers!