Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[W.I.P] Bunker
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jul 2006, 19:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Kettino
Default [W.I.P] Bunker

I'm starting to make some bunkers. i didn't have good cardbord but i used this. (i AM going to supermarket and ask for some cardbord.. soon :P)

_________
/___ |_|___\
____ |_|_____
/_____|_|_____\

i wanted something like that :P

but here are 'all' bits i use:

Bottom + "pillar"
i might change it, since i might want it nearly invisible. maby i'll make it a building witch units can get in to. dunno yet.

The bunker:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...o/PICT0309.jpg

as you can see the roof is taped.

So you can see how big it ectuly isused old failed space marine lol)

I'm going to paint it. my dad has an airbrush that i can use.

witch brings me to the following point>
[glow=red,2,300]
Colors/Camo.[/glow]

What colors and camo (eq sand) should i give the bunker. i dont really know what terrain i'm placing it on : (any idea's)

and i'm also looking for a color scheme for my real tau army (not kroot, not vespid)

i like the Sa'cea sept and the Borkán sept. i really cant deside :P

tips/CC welcome :P
Old 12 Jul 2006, 19:57   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: [W.I.P] Bunker

First thing:thumbs up for your work! ;D
Second, i think that the cardbord is the worst solution for making terrains (especially buildings),use pink or blue foam or something like that,you can also use thin plywood or balsa wood.Look in your local hobby shop and i'm sure you find something.

Cheers from suny Croatia,and good luk
"Each must find their own way. If those in our heartland had witnessed the savageries of the void as have we, they would know this. The hand of each of the great starfarers is turned against the other; none will join their strength together just to see their ancient enemies prosper. Neither should we."
- Attributed to Commander Farsight, 765.M41
Old 12 Jul 2006, 21:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

hey, looks good.

if you want trace your pillar were you want it. cut the circle,ans slide in the piller. it should fit almost perfectly. you should only have a little slit or close to one atleast(the gun area). then cut a path from one of the open end(now the entrance) the same size of the open space, out.

how you could do this is to turn the base(the big one) upside down trace and cut from there it would have more support and wouldn't collapse.

Old 13 Jul 2006, 03:30   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

trace the edges of the piece in plasticard, or plastic sign board, the latter can be gotten for free. and like the other said, carboard is not really good. foam core would be better. an then re do it in eithe of the other medias.

but for a solution at whats used at hand. with the piece you got, and for varied tables, i wouldnt camoflauge it. paint it black and drybrush it up in grey to look like concrete.

but before i even started with the paint. take some either, apoxie sculpt, or self hardening clay,* or some kind of putty to fill your cracks. of your using masking tape, i would opt for duct tape because it will hold up better under paint and not tend to peal.

then take some latex paint and add some real fine sand to it to where youll get a good concrete effect to the bunker. then paint it up. this way it wont look as much like card board.

then take either some strips of card stock or thin plasticard and reinforce the edges and corners to show its steel reinforced (wouldnt have to, but it would look pretty good.)

paint those as a rusted metal and let streaks of rust run down the concrete where the metal stops mid wall here and there to wether it..

a very cheap and better alternative to GW razor wire is check your local department store for wire that you use to hang pictures with, ask your mom, she will know what you want. and wrap it around a pencil or pen real tight and let is spring loose, you might open the coils some and streach it along some of the lower angles to repel troops entering the bunker (since your openings are so large).

that wire, spray it black before you attack it then just drybrush it in silver, and maybe hit it with a black wash, pending on how hard you put the silver on.

oh and mount it on a piece of masonite no bigger than the terrain piece itself, it will protect your hard work from being ruined. or having to be touched up all the time.

Steve
Old 13 Jul 2006, 09:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Kettino

Thanks for the tips guys.

i'll probly will be using them
Old 13 Jul 2006, 18:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well we hope to see the progress, whichever way you go with it. but always try your best on terrain, because if you half ass it, it really shows.

when your learning is one thing, and when people dont take the time on it, is another.

terrain is not that hard in general to get to look right. its not like painting figures. where you either have the skill or you dont.

Steve
Old 14 Jul 2006, 19:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

heres a good tip for ya if you want a good texture for the bunker, no matter what the base material is, nearly, fill a jar half full with white pva fill the other half with water, shake it up good, now get a brush and paper mache the bunker with kitchen roll, not the one where the advert has two blokes dressed as ladies, anyway make sure you use about 2 - 3 layers, next buy a can of stone effect spray paint, this is really cool stuff, the same size can as GW black undercoat and its better quality and funky look, anyway spray the paper mached model with the spray and hey presto funky looking stone camo'd bunker, wol-la

Join the newly formed Hellcats squadron as they attempt to battle the terrorist mecha of the GRA in a post-global war Earth! This unique RPG uses an alternate timeline to the Macross series, so no prior knowledge of Macross is required. So grab your transforming Veritech mecha, hit the link and join in
Old 14 Jul 2006, 20:31   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

be easier to cover in tape, not to mention faster, but is a good way to even it out and fill places in. not to mention strengthen it.

Steve
Old 15 Jul 2006, 13:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol

I like it nice and simple I may have to try this out
recruit gladiators
Old 28 Jul 2006, 16:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

However you do it, it will probably be looking pretty good.

List of suggestions:
  • Glue sand onto the sides in Chamo like patterns for grit and texture.
  • Possibly spikes or barbed wire
  • Stairs?
  • Small fire guard (small extra wall to protect moreso from enemy fire)

P.S. Black Mages Rule!
Closed Thread