Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Urban table: Almost ready to build! [1 Diagram]
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jul 2006, 15:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Urban table: Almost ready to build! [1 Diagram]

Well, since April, I've been planning a city table. Unfortunately, many of my good ideas are halted by lack of cash and/or bad memory.

So, I tried to buy the buildings immediately, and then I would be forced to spend the 10 or so odd USD for teh foam and the trees.

I am using Armourcast Terrain, bought at the local hobby shop, and a pack of GW trees. Also, I will be utilizing ceramic tiles for city blocks, melted palstic beads for a small canal, and lots of rubble!

Attached is a small diagram of what is to come.

Right now, probably today or tomorrow, I will stop at the home supply depot for the insulation board, then get to work with my friend Cmdr. Cool. All in all, in two weeks time, it should be done!

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 10 Jul 2006, 16:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Urban table: Almost ready to build! [1 Diagram]

Sorry Stankov, I don't see anything that's attached. But hopefully it works out for you.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 20:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I always forget to attach the file! Arg!

Check back on the first post!

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, I'll be posting a lot of pics when its done.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to Home Depot today, so I'm still waiting for fundamentals. I'll be cutting the plywood on Wednesday, though, so you can at least hope for more progress

Stankov

Old 11 Jul 2006, 00:39   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

keep ahold of that armorcast terrain, they discontinued thier Terraform line last year, i got in on thier last sale that they sent a news letter to.

where are you located BTW.

Steve
Old 11 Jul 2006, 03:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Actaully, in CT, USA. My local hobby shop has a small cache of ArmorCast terrain, and the owner [a real nice guy] showed me. I think I repaid his kindness with $60

I'm going to buy more as I can, but I don't plan on selling, just keeping it for cool terrain.

Nice to see another Armorcast buyer out there!

Stankov

Old 11 Jul 2006, 13:30   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i have the trench box
ruined building set (largest one)
plant set
tech bridge
wooden bridge (with side rails)
double valve piece
sand bag walls and curved walls 4"
9" stone walls

and i wish i had the money to buy more before they discontinued it.
Steve
Old 11 Jul 2006, 20:12   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

its just that armorcast made a good product at a very reasonable price, if i can buy it at a good price i will, but ill make it otherwise

it boils down to a cost/time spent making it among other factors. like if i enjoy making them.
for example, the CoD terrain is a little pricy but i hate making buildings, first, because i dont particulalry like working on lots of windows and lots of cutting with foam core, too monotonous, besides, it sucks.
i also dont have a scroll saw to use MDF for my buildings...yet. till then i guess i am buying what i can.

like this table here, making as many building as he has assembled allready, building them from scratch would be miserable and ungodly time consuming.
not to mention the rest of the terrain which the time consuming part is not even close yet, its the texturing and painting (for me thats the part i like).

plus for personal terrain, casting silicones and resin goes a long ways to expanding small items that you need several of, such as trench systems.
but that is another subject for another time.

-------------------------------------------------
now back on topic:

for this table are you planning to leave it on these tables?

i thik its a pertinate question because if you want to be able to use the tables for other things, i would batten some plywood or masonite and glue the foam base to the wood first (liquid nails).

this way you could get either some 1/4" or 3/8" eye bolts and anchors and mount the anchors in the masonry wall. mount the eyebolts in the frames you would make the table on and hang them on the wall.

and simple sheet of 5/8" or 3/4" MDF cut in 16"x 4' shelves and L brackets above your tables to store all the modular stuff. which lowes or HD will cut the MDF for you if you dont have a circular saw.

the biggest problems with full tables is storage.
i have a 2x2 modular table as well that i have to make a storage rack for, but there is a thread on warseer that seemed to cover that because someone htere had the same problem.
the 4x8 table we made, once we get some eyebolts to hang pullies from and some good rope or small cable. we are suspending ours from the ceiling in a garage because we dont have enough wall space. and trying to find an old hand crank off a boat trailer.

and did you see this off of the GW site about mass producing sprue rubble?
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...le/default.htm
i am looking for one of those old grinders for this very reason.

Steve
Old 12 Jul 2006, 03:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

A lot of tips!

I like the winch-down table!

Anyways, in response:

I plan on having a 4' 6" X 2' piece of plywood cut from my existing floppy table. [Plywood on two sawhorses]. I'll glue down the polystyrene, but I think Liquid Nails is a little too thick... I think I may try something thinner, but its a good suggestion.

I'm just looking for a table to put on sawhorses or another flat surface... although I would love a permanent table, I just don't have the freedom of space.

I really didn't like GW's rubble... it looked too, well, thin. I am using some small rocks and gravel [natural gravel, about 1 or 2 centimeters at the longest, and about 1 or 2 milimeters at the smallest.] It tends to better represent masonry while GW's looks more like crunched metal. Some sprue should also provide a bit of irregularity, and painted dark brown will well represent wooden support beams found on Armorcast's two story models, as well as window frames.

Thanks for your help!

Stankov

Old 12 Jul 2006, 04:25   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i mentioned it on other threads, a great source for natural looking grave is a concrete company where they make blocks. a friend works at one and got the grit that falls of the block, he said it was in piles and anyone could get it for free.

as for the liquid nails.

personally for terrain making i dont like the name band stuff. i like the off brand that "Lowes" sells, its only like 30 cents cheaper per tube, but the difference it work time.

Liquid Nails brand when the air hits it immediatel starts to cure and will get a skin on it quickly.
the off brand you can work with it for 20 minutes.

if you use a clean non dusty gravel, you can do your rubble with the off brand stuff by squirting some out and shape it to desired effect (great gap filler for between foam layers as well.) and then apply your gravel.

the advantage is you use it as a glue, texturing medium, and gap fillar all in one.

and if your wondering about thickness, just spread thin with a plastic putty knife.

and it does sand some, here is one example where we used it as a gap filler before sanding:

that whole table is glued together with this stuff. most cracks filled with it.
we found some other things as trial an d error as you will with most project, but once you use it a few time i think you would like it.

i made some arches for a comission, most all of the texturing was done with it.

if you have your tried and true method, have at it. but i am always looking for a quality but faster way to do terrain. esp some of the odd ball terrain.

and if you have something you want to reproduce alot on this table i would check into resin casting. statues is something you could resuse alot on a board this size.
its not that hard, i have a fairly detailed mold of some tank traps and bases where I created the master, and then other stuff for my personal use i have recast that are all OOP and miserable to try to find.

and i would check out www.hirstarts.com i have 9 of his molds, and damn they are nice.

Steve