Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Table - What Could Make It Better?
Closed Thread
Old 27 May 2006, 11:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Krimxon Send a message via Yahoo to Krimxon
Default My Table - What Could Make It Better?

Hey. I just dug out alot of old detailed scenic stuff from Lord of the Rings and some other things. I placed them strategicly to create some sort of fair board for both ends.

What could I do to make it better? Change positions? Please give me your thoughts.

(Added minis for scale)

Old 27 May 2006, 11:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: My Table - What Could Make It Better?

Absolutly nothing, other then getting your terrain painted.

However the larger peice with ruins on it dosn't fit in very well.
Old 27 May 2006, 18:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would say you have enough "specialty terrain". What's too sparse is "natural terrain".

No trees...
No bushes...
no pools/swamps/rivers...
No hills/rocks/cliffs...

Get a hot wire foam cutter (about $20 USD max, with batteries)
Get a few random chunks of packing foam... say from a TV or stereo, or you can usually buy foam at hobby shops...

Get to work, whacking random curves and broken, craggy faces out the foam. Spray with scenic glue (or 25/75 PVA & water). Let em dry, spray em again.

Primer white (don't use mini-primer... no need.) Use a small, cheap can of household paint instead.

Paint your hills accordingly, then add flock, ballast (coarse sand, or dirt from your yard mixed with a bit of PVA).

For bushes, you can use dish sponges, but they don't look very real, and the material GUZZLES paint. Try using Elk Moss (should be able to find it in a nearby park or wodded area... green hairy stuff that hangs off trees like clumpy cobwebs... pick the bugs out before you pocket it!)

You can also use plain old lichen and twigs. If you can buy dyed lichen, use the normal stuff. You can stain it pretty well with a mixture food color and spirits (like vodka... go heavy on the color, light on the booze.) You know you;ve got the mix right when it tastes good... just kidding. ;D

Arrange your twigs in a resonable tree-like pose and bind them with PVA and string until it dries. Make sure that you can fix the bottom end to a base... try one of those old AOL CD's for example, or the clear discs that come in a pack of CDR's. If you can't find the perfect fit, use a little epoxy putty to mound up a sutiably earthy lump which will hold the trunk of the tree.

Then repaint the wood a bit darker. Add highlights to bring out the natural grain. Once dried, add a few spots of glue on the trunk (small!) and flock with static grass or fine flock (makes for a mossy tree trunk!).

Now apply a dry of PVA to each major branch. Arrange your Elk Moss or dyed lichen onto the glued branches in a natural, hanging fashion. Wait for glue to cure up. Then spray with Scenic Glue (25/75 PVA/Water) and let dry.

Paint and flock the base of the tree stand. POW! You have made the most realistic mini-tree in mini-gaming history! [begin celestial chorus]

Average time to complete? In about 4 hours, I can make twenty trees of vaious sizes and breeds. Elks, Oaks, Birches... Willows... It's really easy and it will bring massive amounts of praise

Average cost? Glue , flock and paint, mostly. Very cheap. Don't buy ballast... Mother Earth provides ballast in parks and beaches everywhere! Get a sandwich baggie or some Gladware sandwich boxes and load each with handfuls of sand, gravel, dirt... and so on.

Boulders? Tanbark. Wash it off. Bake it dry (around 300 F is fine). primer black. Paint dark grey. Apply highlights via drybrush in DIVERGENT directions. First highlight, for example, with a medium grey moving top to bottom. Then highlight with a light grey going left to right. BOOYAH! (sorry, couldn't resist).

Hope this helps. It will save money and make a ton of useable, lightweight terrain that makes a perfect accent to any game table.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 23:04   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

i really dont think that flocking it will help at all... anyways i would add somthing for trenches and maybe some bushes/barricades etc. and when it is done show us again

Old 07 Jun 2006, 23:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeStar
Um flock a board?
What? I never said anything about flocking the board... didI?
Old 09 Jun 2006, 03:58   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

i really hope not, it would be rather stupid to flock a table cloth :P

Old 10 Jun 2006, 22:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Krimxon Send a message via Yahoo to Krimxon

I'm moving to England in a few weeks. (From ireland)

During the summer, I'll make a board.... I rescently used plywood to make terrain on, a small creation. The damn board warped when I put glue on it! What wood do you recommend I use for making board?

Old 11 Jun 2006, 02:55   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

plywood (simply because i have so dmned much of it) or...damn i forgot the name of it...

Old 11 Jun 2006, 11:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to tentonhammer

it looks quite good for a pick and place table other than that you could possibly but either a grass matt or the new cities of death matt jus to get rid of the cloth and give it a bit more realism
Old 22 Jun 2006, 05:24   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

plywood is fine, but you need to batton the back side. i would use masonite instead of plywood because of a couple reasons, it cheaper and lighter.
here is an example:

finished product:

that foam is nearly 8" thick on one end.

what you ought to do tho is make a modular board for storage purposes.

2' squares for your foam boards to sit on a sheet of plywood that you can store behind the couch or somewhere. unless you have a garage or dedicated game room.

Steve