Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ruined Elevated Highway (WIP)
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 14:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Ruined Elevated Highway (WIP)

I had a couple of friends over to my place for a terrain building day. Two of us discussed what we wanted to try and we both decided on an elevated highway spanning the board. Here's the WIP pics of our first piece (more to come):

We used cardboard, styrofoam tiles, wiring and some spackling paste. Next step is to base it for stability (you can see our test-base in some of the pictures...we're going to use MDF or Hardboard for the actual base). I'll post more pics as we progress. The eventual plan is to get the highway to span 4' so that it can function as an "urban river." We also plan to make smaller total rubble pieces with just the support beams...this would allow vehicles to pass through(like a modern ford!). Right now the height is just barely enough space to get my devilfish underneath...it scrapes the paint though. ;D

Details to be added include some broken down cars, signage and maybe a burnt out rhino on the lower level...we're also thinking about maybe bulking out the support beams. We'll see after we get the base done.

Comments welcome!
Old 04 Apr 2006, 23:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)
Default Re: Ruined Elevated Highway (WIP)

I want to see it when the board's done! I always wanted to do something like this.

"In war, laws are silent"
Old 05 Apr 2006, 00:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Cool! Cant wait to see the finished picture! ;D
Old 05 Apr 2006, 01:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to zxcvbnm1017

I was thinking of building an elevated airstrip, I'm interested to see how this comes out.
Old 05 Apr 2006, 09:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good idea, I think it will look very nice when done. How long will the highway be?
Old 05 Apr 2006, 10:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It looks promising but like you write I think you will have to work on the stability. As it is now it looks very frail.
Old 05 Apr 2006, 14:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the great responses!

We plan to have it span the 4' part of my game table…problem is that most likely we'll need to make a few extra pieces as not every highway runs straight (plus we'd like some flexibility!).

So right now the plan is 3 or 4 pieces similar to the one you see (they're approximately 8-9" I don't have the measurements with me at work), 2 larger pieces that will hopefully contain an onramp (so non-jump troops and tanks can get up there) and 5 or so rubble pieces.

One detail that will be added to the next one is either stairs or a ladder up. Right now, we've noticed there is no way for normal infantry to get up top! Unless they are Jet Pack/Jump Packs equipped or set up there (then there is no way to get down) a whole lot of armies are going to not be on the upper level. You'll note I play a Tau army…Mecha Tau. My friends are calling me out on home-turf advantage for the highways…so I'll need to add those stairs/ramps for their footsloggers…plus a way for landraiders/predators to navigate the wreckage on the ground level (so broken highways).
Old 05 Apr 2006, 15:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The first shot isn't very flattering but the others are nice. Yeah, with some stability that'll be very hoss. Keep at it, I'm sure we'd all love to see the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 05 Apr 2006, 16:57   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It will be interesting to see the end results. Why not add some lights along the highway as well. Another thing, an elevator might be easier to make than a ladder. On the other hand it might not be the look you are looking for.
Old 06 Apr 2006, 02:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nice terrain piece! I really like it!

If you need any Black templar advice, just PM me. I've got over 4 years of BT experience!
Closed Thread