Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gaming Table Suggestions
Closed Thread
Old 06 Mar 2006, 14:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Gaming Table Suggestions

The new place I'm moving into has space for a small gaming table in the den/lounge that we're creating out of the second bedroom, and I'd like to solicit you guys for suggestions on what features could be added to make it "classy" and user friendly. I'm planning on making it out of decent wood and finishing it to match the rest of the room. In other words, I want it to be nice enough to occupy a permanent space there, rather than being a portable thing that is put away in a closet when not in use. As such, I'm willing to spend a bit of time/money to make it something a little nicer than your average card table with a grass-mat on it. Some things that had occured to me included:
  • Dedicated cup holders to avoid knocking drinks over while reaching for minis/dice
  • A slide-out "sideboard" for each player for minis in reserve or a dead-pile
  • A dedicated dice rolling area to avoid cocked dice from uneven terrain

Any comments on these ideas, or ideas of your own would be most appreciated!
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 06 Mar 2006, 22:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Seto
Default Re: Gaming Table Suggestions

Very nice ideas man, your making me jealous (i play on a 4x2 board that has sand and is sprayed black).

a dedicated die holder would be nice, rather than having strewn around the board, maybe a little box?
Old 06 Mar 2006, 23:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, included here is a small, quick diagram.

Firstoff, I love the idea.
Second, I like the whole 'die casting' area idea, and the reserves/casualty concept.

Well, here ya go. Hope you like it.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 06 Mar 2006, 23:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to zxcvbnm1017

What would be nice is a counter that can help you remember how many hits you have when there are a large amount of attacks. For example, kroot charging, It would be much easier if there was a counter of the side where you can't dispute how many hits have been scored.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 03:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbnm1017
What would be nice is a counter that can help you remember how many hits you have when there are a large amount of attacks.
That might be a bit out of my league, but a built in turn-counter is something I could easily manage!

Stankov, that's pretty much what I had in mind, although since the table will be small (likely 4x4), I'm probably only going to have 2 of the "player stations". Again in order to conserve space, I'm probably going to have those stations be of a "pull-out" style, using similar hardware to that used on Computer Desks for the keyboard trays. I was considering having a common die rolling area that the players share, but I like the idea of each person having their own. A lot will depend on how much space there is available.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 07 Mar 2006, 05:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

i sugest a modular design for the terrian, so you can change the terrian at will. i sugest the table be about 4x6, and have one square foot panels to make a quick change of scenery. the dice/ drink/ dead or reserve part of the table should extend about six inches from the table. also, storage compartments are always a good idea.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 12:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks Gorcyca. At this time though, I'm not really looking for suggestions on how to make the terrain. I'm just looking for ideas on how to improve the actual table frame. I will definately consider your thoughts when the time comes for that though.

Old 09 Mar 2006, 16:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Might I suggest the table be divided into 6 or 8 2'square blocks of standard terrain. These would have different set pieces like 2 small hills on 1, 1 larger hill on another, a water obsticle (dangerous), etc. Make it so they can be turned or shuffled in order to change up the basic look. Then have other set peices that can be added as desired: woods, buildings, bridges, bunkers, cliffs, etc.

then add reserve and drink trays. I'm leary of the dicing trays since I can't see most dice rolls over 2' away unless the pips are big and contrasting.

[edit: just bothered to read posts and noticed Gorcyca beat me to it ]

Anyway, a noble effort Tonka. Make pics

Wanax
Old 09 Mar 2006, 20:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ReApEr

Do you want one theme to your board?

I mean, you could make alot of different boards with out any scenery attached and then just pull them out when you want to change the board type (city fight, Jungle, Dessert etc) and then make all the scenery for it and put it under the table to pull out.

This is ideal for campegns and such.

Or do you want a fixed permanant board?

ReApEr
Old 09 Mar 2006, 23:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to zxcvbnm1017

You should make a pedistal on a side of the board for the rulebook, that ways, you don't have to go searching around for it, AND you dont have to carry it!