Warhammer 40K Forum

Cheap and not very easy Barbed wire
Closed Thread
Old 17 Jan 2006, 07:30   #1 (permalink)
GOD
Shas'El

Default Cheap and not very easy Barbed wire

Barbed wire

Many battles take place in or around fortified positions. A major part of a fortified location is obstacles to slow down enemy troops or armour. Of these barbed wire is probably the quickest and easiest to deploy.

Like all things there are 3 ways you can go about acquiring barbed wire for your gaming table: the cheap and easy way, the expensive and easy way, or in this case the cheap and hard way. This tutorial aims to show you how to create barbed wire that’s cheap, and looks a dam side better then the store bought equivalent. Be warned: this is a difficult and time consuming project.

WARNING: DON’T BE FOOLED BY THE SCALLE. THIS IS REAL BARBED WIRE, AND CAN CAUSE REAL INJURIES. TAKE CARE CONSTRUCTING AND HANDALING THE BARBED WIRE.
Things you’ll need:

• 0.5mm diameter wire*
• 2 pairs of pliers
• 1 bench vice
• 1 pair of wire clippers
• 1 metal rod, or large nail
• 1 pair of needle nosed pliers (optional)
• 1 pair of garden gloves (advised, but optional)
* I used 0.7mm wire as it was the thinnest I could get. The end result was slightly out of proportion as a result. If you can find 0.5mm wire, you should get a better end result.

Creating the wire

This is the easy part. Cut a length of wire slightly longer then twice the length you want your final product to be. In my case this was approximately 2’.

If the wire has any kinks in it you will need to straighten it out first. I found the most effective way of removing kinks is to secure one end in the vice, then use the pliers to rapidly and forcefully pull it tight.

Bend the wire in half, and secure the two ends in the bench vice. You should now have a big wire loop sticking out of the vice.

Put the metal rod through the top of the loop. Pulling upwards (to make sure you keep the rod at the top) twist the wire. When you are happy with the result, add a few more twists, so it will keep its shape when you let go.

Creating the barbs

This bit sound easy enough, however it is time consuming, and difficult.

Cut lengths of wire approximately 3cm long. The number of lengths you will need is dependent on how long you barbed wire is going to be, and the spacing of the barbs.

Start at either end of the wire. Wrap a length of wire once around the wire you twisted earlier. Put on the gloves and use the pliers to pull both ends of the tight around the twisted wire.

Next wrap it around again. Use the gloves and pliers to pull it tight again. You now have your first barb.

If the coil of the barb has gaps in it use the needle nosed pliers to squash the coils together. Also you may find the barb is inclined to fall down the twisted wire. If this is the case, use the pliers to squash the barb. This should prevent it from doing so, however if this fails, use superglue when the barbed wire is complete.

Repeat the above proses to create barbs along the length of your twisted wire. I found that a spacing of 1cm looked good, but you can do more or less according to your taste/patience.

Once you have created all your barbs you’ll have to cut the spiky bits down to size. I found that a 2-3mm spike looked best, although this is entirely up to you. It is a good idea to cut the longer to start. That way if you don’t like the look then you can cut a bit more off later, however if you cut it too short then your screwed.

Free your creation from the vice, and cut the loop off the top. Now you have a complete length of barbed wire that doesn't’t look half bad. Paint it and shape it how ever you please.

Enjoy.

WARNING: DON’T BE FOOLED BY THE SCALLE. THIS IS REAL BARBED WIRE, AND CAN CAUSE REAL INJURIES. TAKE CARE CONSTRUCTING AND HANDALING THE BARBED WIRE.

I never lose, I choose not to win.

There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Comm_Nagrom
Default Re: Cheap and not very easy Barbed wire

wow that is some nice barbed wire I didn't know how good it would look till I saw your pic. looks like real barbed wire (but smaller)
Old 17 Jan 2006, 21:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My version of cheap and easy barbed wire (of a futuristic flavor) is shavings salvaged from the 3/4 inch drillpress at the machineshop at my job... its a long even spiral ribbon of shiny steel, corkscrewing around, and actually sharp on the edges as well, snip to suit before gluing to bases... cheap (free), and easy (just grab it!)...

but I like your authentic barbed wire!!

Theres a tool out there called 'lockwire pliers' or safetywire pliers... its a lockable plier that has a spiral wormgear like shaft and nob on the end of the handle: clamp the pliers on 2 secured wires, pull the lever: presto! perfectly even twists! want more tightly wound twists? push rod in and pull again to suit! that may speed up your build time immensely!

theres also a wire post wrapper tool at radioshack, for wrapping little wires around IC legs or other teeny tiny posts... that little tool may also speed up contruction immensely as well! its basically a hollow srewdriver tube, with a notch at the end: put tube over post, lay wire in notch, twist.

maybe those tools would help... but I like my drill shaving wire, myself!
Old 17 Jan 2006, 23:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Cool stuff but sadly I don't have any of those tools and our place here doesn't have a garage so I'm going to be a bit out of luck. Still, fantastic look. Heh, don't suppose you'd be willing to make lengths for a small fee? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 17 Jan 2006, 23:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

if you wanted non-cheap stuff Forge world sells it... http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog...TERRAIN_7.html . Just copy paste into your address window, and it's near the bottom of the page... 12+ feet for $10.60... not that bad... less than a dollar a foot...
Old 18 Jan 2006, 00:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to zxcvbnm1017

That barbed wire is beautiful! Looks great but I would never attempt it, I'm really clumsy.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 03:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

But y'know... there's nothing lika being at the end of a hard days' work and you have stuff that you made personally...
Old 18 Jan 2006, 05:39   #8 (permalink)
GOD
Shas'El

First of all; thank you all for your kind comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
Theres a tool out there called 'lockwire pliers' or safetywire pliers...
theres also a wire post wrapper tool at radioshack.
I've neither seen nor heard of these tools, but if it makes the job easier then it's defiantly worth a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXX
Cool stuff but sadly I don't have any of those tools.
Perhaps you can borrow them off a friend. They are very common tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXX
Heh, don't suppose you'd be willing to make lengths for a small fee? :P
LoL, you can't afford my "small" fee. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Fanatic
if you wanted non-cheap stuff Forge world sells it...
It's hard to tell from the photos, but it doesn't look too bad. It could be just flat stuff thou, like GW used to sell (which didn't look so good). But like I said it's hard to tell. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation, or failing that, give us better photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Fanatic
There's nothing lika being at the end of a hard days' work and you have stuff that you made personally...
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbnm1017
I would never attempt it, I'm really clumsy.
It's actually not as fiddly as it looks. The reason it's hart, is the force required to make sure the pieces stick together. Having said that you don't need to be build like Arnie either (I'm sure as hell not), it's just the repetitive exertion. If it gets to you, just spread the project over a couple of days. Anyone can do this, provided they have a bit of patience.

I never lose, I choose not to win.

There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 12:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Stooga

One thing that's supposed to work is thin sewing thread, made in a similar way to GOD's barbed wire. Take one piece of medium thickness thread, secure both ends, take a thinner thread and cut short pieces of it. Tie the pieces to the longer thread, and leave short pieces of thread on both sides of the knot (so that it looks like... barbed wire), continue until the whole length of thread is covered in knots.
When you're done, spray the barbed wire with some varnish, or dip/paint it in some varnish or paint, for better looks and sturdiness.
Woah-lah.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 22:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD
Perhaps you can borrow them off a friend. They are very common tools.
Unfortunately I can safely say that nobody I know here has such things. If I'm lucky I might be able to find a vise somewhere on the island but it'll probably be at an auto shop if anywhere. The most common things around here are lava rocks and cows rather than tools I'm sad to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD
LoL, you can't afford my "small" fee. ;D
Now THAT'S funny. ;D

Still looks awesome. We may yet try something out if we can find some alternative tools (it's amazing what you can do when you've got at least three decent multitools) just because of how good yours looks. I'd still recommend selling it as I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to purchase serious barbed wire for minis on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Closed Thread