Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cork as rubble
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jan 2006, 10:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Cork as rubble

Hey, hadn't seen anyone else try this so I figured I'd make a quick post about it.

I was working on Games Workshop's Cardboard City stuff to make a city block and realized that I don't have any sand (this island is made entirely out of lava rock) and the remnants of the carboard just aren't quite enough to create a convincing "rubble" look. So I thought, "Hey, why don't I just have some big, nondescript, rock-like chunks thrown in there for good measure? But wait, I don't have any sprues yet!"

Being a wine-drinker we've got a fair amount of cork around the house. So I simply took a piece of cork and with my fingers pried off small chunks of it, eventually tearing the whole thing down to centimeter-sized chunks.

They glue surprisingly well with white/PVA glue and I'm willing to bet they'll be easy to paint though we'll see how that works out. The effect, especially when you use a lot of it, is definitely "rock-like" and I think it's pretty cool though it would be best augmented by sand in addition. Gives it a very "broken-up" look.

Sorry, no pics, my stuff still isn't here yet, but figured I'd put the idea out there in case someone else wanted to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 12 Jan 2006, 11:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to kfc-v-lot
Default Re: Cork as rubble

wow thats quite a nice idea i might give it a go

Old 12 Jan 2006, 13:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So far the spray-painting has been going well. The cork itself takes it a lot easier than the cardboard and that's saying something considering cardboard and masking tape are pretty easy to paint. Looks better painted like real chunky bits of concrete.

Well, at least this will justify the bottles of wine out here. :

Quote:
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 13 Jan 2006, 00:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to gego_cybor1

Yes cork does work well as rocks and rubble and stuff. I have seen others use cork in their tutorials and stuff. It makes a good rock because the chunks are usually all random and looks natural. They are also easy to paint, soak the paint right up.

A good thing about cork rocks is that you can stick stuff into them. An example is having a nice big rock on a base and you want your mini to be flying. Just take one of the clear flying stands and instead of having to stick it in a clear base with a hole, just stick it into the cork. Once painted it looks like the mini is flying over a rock.

When people ask you how you stuck the plastic into the rock say that you drilled a big hole and super glued it in.

Join the Tauonline Runescape Clan!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=90.0
I'm a Leader
Old 13 Jan 2006, 02:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes I have tried it. It worked fairly well for me too.

-Da Boss
Old 14 Jan 2006, 01:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gego_cybor1
When people ask you how you stuck the plastic into the rock say that you drilled a big hole and super glued it in.
lol, now THAT sounds like my kinda conversion.

Quote:
Closed Thread