Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Static Grass
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jan 2006, 20:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Static Grass

Is GW's described "Static Grass" product, the one that gives you lengthened tufts of grass that stand tall, actually looking like a tuft of grass growing out of say snow or sand?

I want to use a snow base, with tufts of grass here and there, what could I use for this?

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 04 Jan 2006, 21:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Re: Static Grass

Well, i use the stuff from Games work shop, it works well, how ever, for snow, there is a company (can't recall the name) that sell stuff for train boards, and they have all differnt colours, bright green to brown, red to yellow. It is alway good and it sells for 13.00 a pop canadian

The Mothman
Old 05 Jan 2006, 02:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you're in North America, check out a company called Woodland Scenics. They have some great products for greatly lower prices than GW. You can get a small bag of long grass for about $2. A large shaker full of static grass costs about $9 I believe.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 04:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to gego_cybor1

Yes Woodland Scenics. Great stuff they have.

Buy a big shaker for about the same price as a tiny little cup of GW static grass. Plus Woodland Scenics has billions of different types of grass, snow, gravel, anythin you can think of. If you are going to use snow I suggest make your own snow. I have found that snow flock rubs off easily and doesnt look very realistic.

If you are going to use static grass for snow then I suggest you buy a brown colour of static grass, of course available by Woodland Scenics. Makes the grass look old and dried up in the snow or in a rocky place. If you are goig to buy rocks then buy ballast. Any colour is available of course. I would usggest you buy small and not medium sized ballast because medium is too big for mini's. I made this mistake and I regret it. Use this is you have like a super rocky place that juts up and would be very very tough to walk on.

Join the Tauonline Runescape Clan!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=90.0
I'm a Leader
Old 05 Jan 2006, 11:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The GW people were constructing a new snow table at the local shop and I saw they were using baking soda for their snow. Looks like they were putting it on in successive layers.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 05:25   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

A company called Noch makes a huge bag of static grass for about $6~9 USD, if you can find a hobby shop that can carry Noch products. Noch is a german company much like woodland scenics, and they make a few products that woodland scenics does not.

Anyways, yes it works pretty well, especially if you drybrush a little white paint on the grass first. Looks like a light snowfall that way.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 21:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvaurius
Is GW's described "Static Grass" product, the one that gives you lengthened tufts of grass that stand tall, actually looking like a tuft of grass growing out of say snow or sand?

I want to use a snow base, with tufts of grass here and there, what could I use for this?
Woodland Scenics snow. I got one liter thing of it for 15 bucks(Canadian)
Closed Thread