Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My first terrain tutoriale :-x
Closed Thread
Old 26 Dec 2005, 11:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Joris
Default My first terrain tutoriale :-x

This is my first tutorial so don't expect GW level stuff. I still have to figure out a lot on how to post and process the photo's for the tutorial but i'm confident that it will further improve with every update. It isn't much yet but i hope the next updates will be more satisfying.

Things needed in this first part of the tutorial:
  • -Insulation or polystyreanfoam
  • -MPD board

Start by drawing out the planning of the entire scenery layout. Where are the tree's going, where the wall's, towers , gate's, etc... Remember to keep some margin of error. When making part's for the piece they sometimes can end up a bit larger than expected and then you will have to move wall's, tower's, tree's, etc..., a bit away from there original place. When you are satisfied with the drawing you can start sawing out the base for your scenery piece. You can do this by hand or with a powertool, in both cases try to keep in mind where the sawblade, your fingers and the table are!

Next we will round the edges of the board. This can be don with either a file or a sturdy carpet cutter. If you use the cutter be very carefull and always cut away from yourself, your fingers and any other damageable and/or killable things and creatures.

The cutter i used for this part.

Now we will make the rocky plateau. I made this one from polystyreanfoam. First i traced the contours i had drawn on the MPD board on a piece of calque tracing paper. (Unfortunately i only had one sheet of calque paper left so i had to use it on both sides at once* :* :-[ ) Then use a sowing needle to punch little holes into the paper along the trace line at halve an inch or a cm apart. Put the paper on the foam block and retrace the line with a paintbrush and black ink. Remove the paper and simply connect the dots. Now use a figure saw to saw out the block. And don't trow away the bits and pieces you saw off yet.

The figure saw i used for this part:

Now we are going to cut the rock into the desired shape and size. First we are going to cut the block of foam into the shape and form we want. The rough work you can do with the hotwire cutter and the more finer finishing work you do with a fresh and razorsharp cutter blade. From the small pieces of foam that came of the main block you can make smaller rocks to put on your scenery piece.

The tools i used here:

Old 27 Dec 2005, 19:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Shaso Shiur
Default Re: My first terrain tutoriale :-x

You're off to a great start Joris, keep going. ;D

Just as a side note though, when shaping the sides of the MDF board, you could also use sandpaper or a small powered sander. I personally find that a Dremel tool with a small sanding drum does the trick.

Converting isn't a skill, it's a way of life.

[URL=http://centretownwc.proboards22.com/index.cgi]
Old 27 Dec 2005, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Shi'ur
You're off to a great start Joris, keep going.* * ** *;D

Just as a side note though, when shaping the sides of the MDF board, you could also use sandpaper or a small powered sander.* I personally find that a Dremel tool with a small sanding drum does the trick.
That is tru, and i have a similar device at home but not everyone has them. Also they are expensif tools. And on an other note they make a lot of dust and if you do the housecleaning no problem, but i don't think your mom, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc... will like it when the entire house is filled with brown dust. ....And i'm very sensitiv to dust, makes me snees and koff a lot. :P

Even if it seems somewhat angeled at times, if you use a lot of woodglue (not the modeling woodglue but the carpenter one) and cover it with sand you will not notice the diverence with one of which the edges are made with sandpaper.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 00:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I do see your point Joris. I was just mentioning another method that some of us who have power tools on the brain would appreciate. ;D

I just find that sanding the edges, even if it's just with a sanding block or a sheet of sandpaper, tends to be quicker and safer than using a knife. For those of us who're safety oriented or have wives, girlfriends etc. who're a bit nervous with the thought of sharp tools.

I still like your tutorial, so please continue.

Old 28 Dec 2005, 21:10   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I love feedback and side note's :-*, because i don't know every techniek to make or manipulate something. It is tru that using a sander is quit faster. But i like to work with simple tools. I'f been cutting, stapling, superglueing, electro shocking, burning, skewering and etc... my hands sinds 1985 (can't remember many events before 85 involving sharp things other than a cat or two ;D) while making stuff from cerealboxes, cartons, ect... (Was born in 1980)
Old 28 Dec 2005, 21:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's all good Joris, I've been skewering myself with things since 1972. So it's all good. ;D

Old 21 Jan 2006, 22:07   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm still working on the tutoriale but i got a new, second hand, computer. And i don't have the needed software to put the photo's in order :-\. I am working on the terrain piece but i'm at the moment not able to upload it, sorry, sorry, sorry :'( :-[