Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blank terrain boards?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2005, 17:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Blank terrain boards?

Hi folks,

I'm wanting to make some modular terrain boards to fit a 6' by 4' table - so they need to be 4' by 4'. Does anyone know of any good suppliers in the uk, the best I have found is this: http://www.craftfoam.co.uk/buynow.asp

At 40mm thick it's 34 smackers for 7 boards; I'll need at least 8 boards and would prefer more. I'd have to buy 2 sets at a total of 68 quid. Is this really the best price? It just seems a bit steep to me .

Oh well any suggestions would be ace, cheers!
Old 23 Oct 2005, 17:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Blank terrain boards?

Did you try your local building supply store for insulation foam? You can get several different widths and it generally comes in either a 2'x8' sheet or a 4'x8' sheet. Generally goes for about 10-15 bucks CDN. Mostly comes in blue or pink (I find the pink is generally a bit tougher, better for games surfaces. Blue's good for making buildings.)
Old 23 Oct 2005, 18:40   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah, i had a quick scout around the shops where i live but none of em sold anything useful. Thats why i started looking on the net, but havent really found much that fits the bill. Is blue foam a bit crappy then?
Old 23 Oct 2005, 18:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Not really "crappy" it still serves it's purpose, if you're looking to sculpt it (like for riverbeds, etc) then it's wonderful stuff. But if you want a flat surface out of your table, then your best bet is for the pink stuff. The blue stuff you should reinforce a bit more. With the pink stuff, you can reinforce with just some MDF or thin plywood, with the blue stuff you should really reinforce with 1/4" to 1/2" plywood. That's only if you're making a table of it, though.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 22:56   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well I've got a flat wooden 6' by 4' table already. These boards are just to go on top, so they dont need wooden support. I'm wanting to make fairly open boards with a bit of terrain modelled on, so I can add more cover for certain games.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 03:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're doing 1'x1' or even 2'x2' squares, you won't notice much of a difference between blue or pink...the blue might dent easier, that's all.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:54   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hello,

I have boards that are made of two pound high density EPS foam. White stuff usually found in electrical boxes. They are already cut to 24 * 24 * 2 inches. They are cut perfectly square. However I do live in the U.S. and surface shipping to the U.K. would probably cost about 40.00 - 70.00 dollars. The pieces themselves only cost about 6.00 bucks a piece.

JPBELLAVANCE