Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot Villages
Closed Thread
Old 21 Oct 2005, 00:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Kroot Villages

Alright, here's the idea, unfortunately it'll be a year before I can do it. First, I'm going to expand my old-growth forest made of sunflower stocks. They work really well, you grow some big sunflowers (the biggest species you can find, at any place they sell seeds) and let them do thier thing. Then, in the fall, harvest them (I harvested mine just 2 weeks ago) and pull them up so you have about a foot of the stock and a small amount of the root system. Let them dry out (takes two weeks, I just did this part a few days ago) and then hot-glue them to a base (I used MDF) and then put a nail in the base up through the stock, coat the whole thing in PVA to seal it, and paint!

However, watching the Discovery Channel I saw a piece on something that seems to me to make perfect Kroot housing! Hanging Spheres!!! I'm gonna make a base of three of the old-growth trees, then string a styrofoam ball between them and model it with a hanging bridge and a staircase spiralling down the trunk. Since they already use sphere shapes for thier warships, spheres seem to be perfect housing for them, too! Not sure if I'll make it metallic looking or like wood, but I've got a year to plan that! What do you think?
Old 21 Oct 2005, 15:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Kroot Villages

sounds a good idea.....what program on discovery was it? i could make some for myself ;D

join the iron maiden cult, for iron maiden!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=19802.0
Old 22 Oct 2005, 12:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It was Daily Planet. The ones the guy made were about 3m in diameter (pretty small for living space!) but I don't see why they can't be bigger.

Edit: Here's the website for the guy that does them. The second pic on the page shows the hanging bridge and spiral staircase up the tree. I imagine a Kroot village of about 50 spheres of varying sizes, this being the smallest. In the old-growth jungles of Pech, I could imagine the spheres getting to about 30 feet in diameter and having at least 2 or 3 levels! I wouldn't build that terrain wise, but that's what I could see a Kroot villiage being, and then bridges connecting them. Probably 9 feet in the air min, up to 3/4 to the tops of the canopy!
Old 22 Oct 2005, 13:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/terrain/5/

Kroot Tents?
Old 22 Oct 2005, 14:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, for a temporary outpost I could see tents, but I was never happy with those tents as permanent housing. On their homeworld or in a permanent location, I think this would be more likely for a village.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 15:45   #6 (permalink)
GOD
Shas'El

They're the same as the mutie tents form Gorkamorka, how very dodgy. Do you mean like weaver bird nests?

I never lose, I choose not to win.

There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 15:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, but on Kroot scale.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 16:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD
They're the same as the mutie tents form Gorkamorka, how very dodgy.
It says in the description on the website that it uses the digganob templates to save creating new ones. :P

And the spherical nest-type things is a really good idea.
Looking forward to whenever you start doing this.
Maybe you could make them look like they are made out of partly-digested wood, wasp style?
Old 22 Oct 2005, 17:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That would be awesome, actually. Kroot do regurgitate all non-digestables, so they would be able to regurgitate building materials. And I'm sure they'd have the non-digestables in there, too...

Maybe I'll just make the spheres out of paper mache with some splinters of wood here and there.

And when I do the actual pieces, I'll have to put a small "waste" pile below the sphere, with bits of armour and bones and metal.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 13:14   #10 (permalink)
GOD
Shas'El

It says in the fluff that Kroot can digest absolutely everything, but then I've never been one to get too hung up on the fluff. Cool idea though, don't forget the peas and carrots if you decide on that.

I never lose, I choose not to win.

There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Closed Thread