Closed Thread
Old 26 Aug 2005, 15:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default stealth team or pathfinders??

what should i add to my tau army a stealth team or pathfinders
Old 26 Aug 2005, 15:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff
Default Re: stealth team or pathfinders??

That depends entirely on what you use them for. Stealth suits are easire to use correctly, and more viable in smaller games so I'll go with those.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 16:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Stealth team first, pathfinders when you get near/above 1500.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:16   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you're going into a tournament setting i'd definately take both, the rail rifles in the path finders are a must for SM armies and the stealth teams are awesome fire distractions. i've had great success with both however i've yet to take multiple stealth teams (but it's in-work) or multiple pathfinder teams.

But dancing in front of the enemy lines and shouting "Nay-ner Nay-ner, you can't see me" is always point of happiness in the fight for the greater good
Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

stealth's and pathfinder go together just think of burst cannons hit on 2 that alot of fire coming from a 6 man squad of stealth's thanks to pathfinders

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Aye, an average of 15 hits (15/18) that allow no cover saves (at best) aren't something to turn your nose up at.

However you'd need to hit with 6 markerlights for that - a feat of dice rolling on it's own! It's also an expensive affair - over 300pts!

~Andromidius
Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromidius
Aye, an average of 15 hits (15/18) that allow no cover saves (at best) aren't something to turn your nose up at.

However you'd need to hit with 6 markerlights for that - a feat of dice rolling on it's own! It's also an expensive affair - over 300pts!

~Andromidius
true but the path finders are not just for that they can help with are ions rail guns seekers crisis

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

True, but it's still an expensive selection. Personally I'd leave the Stealth Suits to fend for themselves much of the time, while the Pathfinders assist the Hammerheads. Only when you get to the 'mopping up' stage would I use markerlights for a Stealth Team - unless things were going badly and I desperately needed uber anti-infantry power!

~Andromidius
Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

BOTH!!!! *Stealth suits are the most fun unit in the army, due to their use of night fight rules. *It's awesome standing in plain viewof his whole army, blasting away at an isolated squad, while his heavy weapons don't dare target you because he has to declare you as his target before he rolls to see if he can see you. *It's broke as hell (he should, by rights, get to roll before he chooses a target), but extremely beneficial to your 30 point burst cannons.

Pathfinders, as mentioned above, go great with stealth suits. *But they aren't just for the XV-15s. *You can use them to upgrade the BS of a different unit every turn. *Say on turn 1, your rail guns absolutely, positively have to destroy that demolisher in the center of his lines...light him up with the pathfinders, and you (almost) can't miss. *If 4 markerlights hit, but you have only 3 rail guns, so be it! *It's for the greater good that that light goes to waste. *Then on turn 2, your stealth suits are in range of one of his infantry type heavy support units. *Markerlight them to remove any cover save AND improve the BS of the XV-15s. *Turn 3 finds the fireknife team within range of his HQ? *Change markerlight targets again! *Turn 4 comes around. *Infantry in the woodline! *lay lights on them! *Fire one submunition! *3 survivors? I've got light hits to spare, finish em off with those 30 inch rifles! *Say on turn 5, your stealth suits and crisis suits are fighting stuff that the pathfinders can't see, but your Aun and his squad are cut off and about to be charged by the 3 surviving members of a tactical squad that slogged across the board. *The only ones close enough to help are the pathfinders. *Drop the markerlights, move 6", and fire the carbines! *

The point of pathfinders is OPTIONS. *most of the time, they won't kill anything if you use them right. *most of the time, they'll make other units kill stuff more effectively. *nothing sucks more than missing with a heavy weapon, except possibly a marine saving an ion cannon hit by hiding behind a blade of grass. *Pathfinders help in both situations.

From an "ease of painting" perspective, take the stealth suits. *non only are pathfinders a pain in the posterior to paint, but stealth suits are 30 points a model, and don't require a devilfish. *So you get a 180 point unit for the price of painting 6 relatively easy models.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:59   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

wait i have another question i just got a hammerhead 3 days ago and starting to assemble it but should i have a rail gun or an ion cannon ???
Closed Thread