Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Where did GW find inspiration for Tau?
Closed Thread
Old 24 Aug 2005, 20:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon
Default Where did GW find inspiration for Tau?

Hi all you guys out there on TauOnline. TauOnline, wow, but what is really Tau? Without the definition of Tau, TauOnline is.... '....online'! What made GW make Tau, what inspired them? I'm gonna list a few suggestions of mine, and if you have anything to share, please add in This might be a good thread to make sticky etc, if enough info is gathered:

1. Tau believes in the four elements; Air, Earth, Fire, Water. The first ones to base a theory of the world comprising of these four elements were the Greek philosophers of Ancient Greek (think it was around 400 bc). They ment the whole earth consisted of these 4 elements, and the Tau has based their entire society on it. So, I'd say this part is Greek?

2. Tau misses only an 'r' to become Taur, and some of their anatomy suggests this has something to do with the animal. I agree, it is kinda funny what GW does sometimes, (although boring and ridiculous at other times) and I find the link between Tau and Taur quite cool.

3. The Ethereals are governing all the other 4 castes (/elements). They have complete obedience from all Tau (except maybe the Farsight enclaves), and they act as leaders and religious figures. They're nearly some kind of deity to some Tau. All this reminds me of Egypt, the Pharaohs. Do you agree? Pharaohs were considered Gods given form, and were meant to both lead and act as the religous leaders, as well as having total obedience from the population. Sounds to me like the ethereals Thoughts/disagreements on this one is very welcomed.

4. Their fighting styles, patient hunter and striking hunter. The striking hunter seems to me to be the 40k variant of the 'blitzkrieg' introduced by the Nazi-Germans during WWII. Lightning fast strikes, well co-ordinated with infantry/tanks/air support. The patient hunter can somewhat resemble the Byzantines of the middle ages, but although the Byzantines was confident on waiting for the assault and counter attacking (they were very well equipped as well, with supportive elements, like the Tau, don't you think?) they didn't prepare traps in the same way as Tau does. It's just my closest guess, any thoughts woulds be appreciated.

5. Their ideology can somewhat resemble communism, as the thought of every individual being equally important sounds like communism to me. The idea of everyone contributing and being important seems like a great idea to me, but I think mankind's history has proven it's not a good form of government to us, it doesn't fit our species. However, the Tau seems very adept at living under these environments, and I'd call it a resemblance of a successful communist state. Agreed?

6. You've probably all heard of the letters Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Omega, Pi and Lambda of the Greek alphabet, at least some of 'em. But did you know, that the letter 19 of the Greek alphabet, shaped like this: T (yes, a normal T) is called Tau??? (yes, Tau!). This seems like a certain Greek source for the Tau, if you ask me

Other things I can think of (but not put in any direct way):
-Romans
-Phoenicians
-Persians?

All of these are ancient empires, as I'm sure you will have noticed. So, these are my thoughts on Tau inspiration, what do you think?
Old 24 Aug 2005, 20:39   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Where did GW find inspiration for Tau?

I personally think the Tau are inspired by too many Star Trek episodes and too much Anime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Aug 2005, 20:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I happen to think it is inspired combining the Roman Republic and Feudal Japan, and, as Wargamer said, too much Star Trek and Gundam Seed.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 20:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think it has something to do with japan and star wars...

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 20:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I always thought Fuedal Japan and China. The Kroot are kind of Mongols or...I can't think of the name of the culture, but they were in indonesia there...(and built Anghor Wat (sound familiar?))
Old 24 Aug 2005, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

The sources given in the original designer articles are mainly Feudal Japan for the culture and Anime for the styling of the models. The elemental names for the Castes could have been drawn from any one of a dozen mythologies, including those closer to the rest of the source material.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 21:54   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i believe from feudal japan ,if youve played firewarrior kais has an asian accent
Old 24 Aug 2005, 21:56   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Kais never speaks in Firewarrior... you mean the Shas'El.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Aug 2005, 22:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i think the GW staff got wired up on coffee, and at watched samurai and smurf (the littte blue guys, not space marines) until four in the morning. well at least thats where I get my wierd ideas from. (although i don'thave to be watching mini blue folk living in mushrooms ;D)

Tau 9/3/0 Space Wolves 50/28/15

RAAAAAARGH!
what now?
raaaaaargh.
oh.

I'll beat you down with my ukos!
whats ukos mean?
never mind
I can chew through metal bars, spit acid, carry in one hand weapons that normal men have to mount on tanks, I'm then ft. tall, can eat rocks, and your telling my I don't get lunch break?!?!?! I bet you do. mmmmhmmmm, riiiiight.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 22:44   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Fuedal Japan for theme and background

the 2 blue guys in the cantina from Star wars for styling actual tau

any one of too many Japanese robot cartoon for ideas on machinery/tanks etc
Closed Thread