Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Greater Good on the Battlefield
Closed Thread
Old 24 Aug 2005, 14:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default The Greater Good on the Battlefield

Last night, I was thinking for an hour about Tau fluff and connections to the games using Tau. Earlier this morning, I checked the Codex and reread the Caste section. Every caste plays a specific role for the Greater Good of the Tau race. No one Tau would do everything, and no one Tau would think of the Greater Good of himself, but of the Greater Good of the Tau Empire. They work together for the Greater Good.

Now in games, the Greater Good is victory, winning the game and defeating your opponent. But according to the Tau fluff, in Dynamic Expansion, it was making use of all the castes' talents that got their first rocket into space. On the battlefield, using the talents of each unit to work toward the Greater Good.

The Fire Warriors, with their large amounts of S5 weapons, make up the shooters in the army, using volume of powerful fire to bring down opponents. But they aren't very fast and can only shoot from up to 12'' if they move, so they need the Devilfish to get them up close to make use of rapid fire, making them more dangerous, and allow them to escape from assaults. But sometimes the Fire Warriors don't output enough fire to completely decimate their targets. The Stealth Battlesuits, with their Burst Cannons, Stealthsuits, Jetpack, and infiltration ability, offer even more shooting. But S5 isn't always enough to destroy some powerful foes. Armed with powerful Missile Pods and Fusion Blasters and armor-piecing Plasma Rifles, the Crisis Battlesuits offer powerful weapons to kill what the FW and Stealths cannot. But the Crisis Battlesuits aren't very accurate and only hit half the time when they don't twin-link. The Pathfinders, with their Markerlighters, make the Crisis Battlesuits usually automatically hit, enhancing them, and any of the other hard-hitting units in the army. Their job isn't to cause damage, it is to ensure that the guys that can cause damage do cause damage. But sometimes, a high toughness monster or a heavily armored tank lies in the way of the army and no one can defeat it, not Fire Warriors, not Stealth Suits, not Crisis Suits. The Railgun, with its brute strength, can lay waste to those Carnifexes and Land Raiders. The Broadside is the most accurate with the Railgun and can hold the most amounts, insuring that that Land Raider will die. But the Broadsides cannot move and fire, and sometimes those Railguns need to move and shoot. The Hammerhead, armed with a Railgun, fixes that downside. Also armed with Burst Cannons and Railgun Submunitions, and possibly an Ion Cannon or Smart Missile System, they lay waste to infantry, giving support to the Fire Warriors and Stealthsuits. But everything in the Tau list is shooty and is awful at CC, except for the Kroot. The Kroot, infiltrating, cheap, and numerous infantry of cover, make up this weakness and often protect the Tau from CC. They are also armed with a weapon closely equivalent to the Bolter, and have larger amounts of them, strengthening the anti-infantry approach and provide a larger volume of fire than the Fire Warriors at an expense of S and AP. But the Kroot are slower than Space Marines and will often be killed by them when in CC. That is where the Kroot Hounds, less expensive with no gun and +1 I, come in. They are fast enough to kill those marines and assist the Kroot in close combat. Sometimes, the Kroot are too slow to stop those bikes or Gargoyles and something needs to pin them down. The Gun Drone Squadrons, with their pinning Pulse Carbines, will pin them in place usually so the rest of the army can kill them quickly. Lastly, no Tau unit is fearless like a marine, and run into Morale Checks often. The Ethereal Caste Member, a symbol of Tau royalty, allow the Tau to re-roll those morale checks. When they want to stay there and shoot to bring down those Orks, failed Morale checks may be rerolled. When the Tau want to escape those Grey Knights from close combat, they can re-roll successful morale checks in a last attempt to retreat. But the Ethereal cannot shoot and isn't very good in any form of combat. That Ethereal needs his Hunter Cadre to stay alive, those Fire Warriors, Devilfishes, Stealthsuits, Crisis Battlesuits, Pathfinders, Broadsides, Hammerheads, Kroot, Kroot Hounds, and Drones.

So you see, every model in the Tau army works in unison, using their talents to support each other, for the Greater Good. That means that Rail Rifles, which will make the Pathfinders take the Crisis Battlesuits' job, are not recommended. Less Markerlighters mean their job is weakened. The Krootox, which do exactly what Missile Pod-toting Crisis Battlesuits do and take up spots where the Hammerheads and Broadsides do their job. With less spots, that job is weakened. Gue'vesa, who as of now are only useful for the jobs of the Broadsides and Hammerheads, tank-hunting, also don't fit. They can also be used to have large salvos of fire. However, the Kroot, with more numbers and stronger weapons, do this job more efficiently. They take up spots where the protective and numerous Kroot or the base of the pyramid, the Fire Warriors, should have. They have no place in a Tau Hunter Cadre, along with Rail Rifles and the Krootox. The Fire, Air, Earth, Water, and Ethereal castes all have their niches, and complete it. Within the Fire Caste, the Hunter Cadre members have their jobs, all working for one thing...the Greater Good. Listen to the fluff, as it will bring victory.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 15:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ilikebigguns
Default Re: The Greater Good on the Battlefield

Hmm never really thought of it that way.

Tau
wins:14
Ties:5
Lost:4
Old 24 Aug 2005, 16:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

that how i see the tau too every one most do there part in battle to win focus on one target untill it gone move to the next

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 24 Aug 2005, 17:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Nice post Behemoth, however you are just looking at one use of your units. For example I use my Pathfinders with seekers and 2 Rail rifles for anti tank capability. Also all of their weapons pin, which is extremely helpful, I have pinned whole mobs of Orks with a single rail rifle. The common mistake people make with the Krootox is the assumption that it's gun is it's main asset. However when I used one it was in the assault where it really helped. Grant it I have sinced ditched it for this use as I find infiltration to be invaluable to my Kroot. While I have not yet used Gue'Vesa, mostly because I don't have the points or money to include them right now, offer a quick speed bump unit, or if they are ignored all the more markerlights to be used. Each of these can be used successfully, though the price for the Krootox makes it nearly worthless.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 18:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Good, however sometimes you need to change the methods of some units to compensate for others.

For instance, I've themed my army to be an insertion force. Basically, they get dropped from a Manta and engage at close (but not too close) range as an ambush. So, as a result, everything is light. I know Mantas can deploy a HH, however I don't see that being a very fast thing to do. Broadsides don't have jetpacks, so they couldn't possibly deploy from a Manta. So I don't take those. Instead, to fill that role, I use 2 rail rifles in a unit of 6 PFs, plus 3 Seekers on each of my 2 'fishes, and markers in pretty much every squad.

I also don't use kroot that much (they can't really jump out a Manta, except for Vulture Kindred which I can't use in a Tau army) so to make up I have 2 full units of SS for anti-infanty.

So everything still depends on everything else, just a little bit differently.

Plus I plan to use Gue'Vesa with this army as tank hunters, because the other slots aren't able to be filled. EMPs and a markerlight, oh yeah!
Old 24 Aug 2005, 19:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I chose what units do the BEST of a job. A Crisis Battlesuit with Fireknife or Burning Eye is, in overall, better than a Rail Rifle-toting Pathfinder in efficiency. And, as I said, makes them less useful at their primary job, markerlighting, as there are 1, 2, or 3 less markerlighters. The Plasma Rifle is Rapid Fire rather than Heavy, so you can move and shoot, therefore more useful than a Rail Rifle. And the pinning effect is already on the PF's and Drones' standard issue Pulse Carbine. And a Railgun does a better job at tank hunting than a Gue'vesa squad. You could do use EMP Gue'vesa, and it probably will do a good job, just not as good a job as a Railgun does the job of tank-hunting, and that goes back to my first sentance. And that gigantic post was made using the Mont'ka and Mech Tau in consideration, so the Kauyon may be a tad different.

Edit: Here's a quote to strengthen my post.

"It is not our technology that will enable us to prevail in this galaxy. It is our shared sense of honor and commonality of cause that unites us and gives us the power to defeat our enemies." Shas'el Sa'Cea Or'es, Fire Caste Commander, p. 32 of Tau Codex

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 23:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Oh I absolutely agree that each unit in the Tau army compliments the other, I'm just providing another viewpoint. Besides just because something is more efficient statistically, doesn't mean it does a job better. Anyways, based on your post your saying pratically all Tau armies should look the same, which I completely disagree with.
Closed Thread