Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tankbusting Suit
Closed Thread
Old 24 Aug 2005, 10:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tankbusting Suit

I need a bit of advice and maybe experience from u guys..
I've made a suit with TwinLinked FusionGuns meant for DeepStriking
behind enemy Vehicles and then blasting 'em to bits. This atleast
seems like a cool idea...?

For the last HardPoint I thought of a Shield for 4+ inv. save (haven't
glued this last thing on yet). What say you wise people?

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 10:35   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tankbusting Suit

i think that is the Standard "Sunforge" outfit....

other wise known as the tank busting suicide suit yep it kills tanks well but draws a LOT of fire

most often used as a lone wolf as too many of them become to many points to loose (which you will loose this guy quickly)

Old 24 Aug 2005, 10:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you make a unit of 2 sunforge Crisis with 2 gun drones and a target lock you have a tank busting unit that can kill 2 tanks in one deepstrike that has a chance of making it out alive... not a big chance... but a chance.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 11:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelan
i think that is the Standard "Sunforge" outfit....
other wise known as the tank busting suicide suit* * yep it kills tanks well but draws a LOT of fire
most often used as a lone wolf as too many of them become to many points to loose (which you will loose this guy quickly)
It's kinda a deploy, shoot and forget. He will have a 4+ inv. save that might get him through the round, but otherwise it's nice if he 'just' draws alot of enemy fire.

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 11:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravo
If you make a unit of 2 sunforge Crisis with 2 gun drones and a target lock you have a tank busting unit that can kill 2 tanks in one deepstrike that has a chance of making it out alive... not a big chance... but a chance.
I think that they will get too expensive for their goal. I just want to take out a heavy tank and then draw some fire away from the rest of the army. If he survives the round with his 3+/4+ inv. save then I'm all the merrier.

-Khelben
Old 24 Aug 2005, 12:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Sunforge is the Tau version of the "Sacrifice Fly" or the "Bunt" in baseball. Let's that the enemy is clsing in on your Pathfinders. Deep-strike the Sunforge behind their tanks and blow them to kingdom come. That will make anything nearby shoot at the Sunforge, and may make those closing in on the PF retreat to exterminate the Sunforge, giving the PF enough time to pack up and leave in the Fish. I have always considered taking a Sunforge for this reason entirely, if there weren't only 3 Elite slots. :'(

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 12:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

i took a sunforge to a tournament. he did sweet FA in each game, and never pulled pack any points.

fusion blasters are too short ranged to be effective. believe me, crisis suits are far better off with twin missile pods than twin fusions. leave heavy armour cracking to railguns.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 24 Aug 2005, 12:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

As I said, these are the niches of the Sunforge.

- Shooting backs of tanks.
- Deep-striking
- Harassing the opponent (20 bolters and 20 saves later ;D)
- Acting as a diversion to let your more useful models survive.
- To look scary. The opponent will go after a Sunforge thats at their back door more likely than a Ionhead or PF.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 16:08   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

It depends on your opponent.* Most tanks have rear armor values of 10, so a 2-MP Fire Knife may be a better choice.

Sunforge

1 FB shot at 75% chance of hitting.
Autopenetrates armor 10.

75% chance of 1 roll on penetrating table.

Fireknife

2 MP shots at 75% chance of hitting.
1/6 chance of glancing.
3/6 chance of penetrating.

37.5% chance of at least 1 roll on penetrating table.
18.8% chance of at least 1 roll on glancing table.

2 PR Shots at 50% chance of hitting.
1/6 chance of glancing.
2/6 chance of penetrating.

16.6% chance of at least 1 roll on penetrating table.
8.3% chance of at least 1 roll on glancing table.

The Sunforge is a pretty sure bet to penetrate at least once, but if you don't roll well of the penetrating table or miss, you will rarely get a second chance.* The Sunforge is also utterly useless at killing anything aside from tanks, given its short range and low rate of fire.* The Fireknife has an overall lower chance to penetrate, but it does have the potential to force up to four damage rolls if you are lucky, while the Sunforge will only ever force one.*

This only applies to attacks against rear armor, since Fireknife will have a hard time getting through that (which is why we have Railguns).* The Sunforge is not really affected that much by which facing it approaches from.* Statistically, a Sunforge will rarely fail to kill an enemy tank because it could not penetrate its armor at close range (even a Land Raider will only block 22% of the time).* Failure will almost always come from missing outright or rolling poorly on the damage table, which we really can't do anything about.

Generally, the best place to deploy a Sunforge is obviously where it will be protected from most enemies aside from the one it is targeting.* You should be able to count on the enemy vehicle's remains to screen you once you destroy or disable it.* This is more important than hitting it in the rear.* Since deepstriking is imprecise, it is really all down to luck whether or not this tactic will work.* If you land out of range, you will often be destroyed before you can approach the target.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 16:24   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I use that kind on suit in my army in every game he has destroyed large veircals (can't spell) , but i gave my lord a blacksun filter and missile pod so hes got some long range strenght weapons.

coun'bei