Warhammer 40K Forum

Does Tau like cover?
Closed Thread
Old 22 Aug 2005, 11:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ketter
Default Does Tau like cover?

Does Tau like cover?

I'm thinking that against 3+ armies we like cover, since we have less that ignores 3+ than they have that ignores 4+.

I'm thinking that against horde armies we hate cover.

How's my thinking?

P.S. Not talking about cover that blocks line of sight.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 11:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Does Tau like cover?

Cover + Tau = PWNAGE. Nuff said.

The Tau Jetpack lets us jump in and out of cover, and all of our elites have them, and one fast attack. We can jump over all terrain, making it so we see them when we shoot, but they can't see us when they shoot. > The Kroot work wonders in cover as well. We without cover is like taking the armor off of a Space Marine.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 11:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

cover is your friend. Without cover, I want everyone mounted, everyone moving, and lots of BS. :P

Wanax
Old 22 Aug 2005, 13:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I must have crack... er ummm... cover... yes cover...

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 16:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Cover is definetly something you learn to love as a tau player. On cover heavy boards versus anything in cover our best bets are mobility and volume of shots over quality.

You only need to have half of any given squad in a piece of terrain to get the benefits it provides this opens up different tactical options but also makes it easy to lose that half in cover due to line of sight/max weapon range sniping or get that half outside cover assaulted.

Something else I noticed. Large pieces of terrain favor large model count armies while short strips favor smaller count armies like marines who can either snugly fit their 6-10 man squad at 2 inch coherency or conveniently fit templates on the hordes attempting to pile in the 6 by 3 forest.

Try and arrange or concentrate forces that you choose to place in a piece of vulnerable cover in such a way that they can't be brought below scoring. For instance have 5 of a 12 fire warrior squad sitting behind the three inch strip of forest or sitting 7+inches into the ruins. If you are approached and feel confident you can move six inches closer to your opponent into the terrain and rapid fire or pull away easily if your forces start to get smashed in that area having a conveninent diffcult terrain fire screen and or speed bump.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 16:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

static tau dont like cover. it removes too much LOS and they lose their effectiveness.

mechtau love cover.

kroot love cover.

cover is useful. tau would happily use it.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 22 Aug 2005, 16:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tau have some pretty hardcore armor to begin with. Basic 4+ is enough to stop common weapons, and the suits can take some hits. The only thing I try to get into cover is pathfinders or XV88's.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 22 Aug 2005, 19:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I also play space marines, and I try to keep THEM in cover, everybody loves cover, and you love it more when your trying to charge an army with 17 lascannons. also it's DO tau like cover, again the answer is yes. definitely yes. certainly. cover good. I'll stop now, gbye.

Tau 9/3/0 Space Wolves 50/28/15

RAAAAAARGH!
what now?
raaaaaargh.
oh.

I'll beat you down with my ukos!
whats ukos mean?
never mind
I can chew through metal bars, spit acid, carry in one hand weapons that normal men have to mount on tanks, I'm then ft. tall, can eat rocks, and your telling my I don't get lunch break?!?!?! I bet you do. mmmmhmmmm, riiiiight.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 19:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Actually, since the Crisis Battlesuits and Stealth Battlesuits can go over all terrain anyway, them being in some place where the enemy can't even see them at all is better than being in cover. And if they try the same strategy against you, Seeker them to death. >

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 19:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
Cover + Tau = PWNAGE. Nuff said.

The Tau Jetpack lets us jump in and out of cover, and all of our elites have them, and one fast attack. We can jump over all terrain, making it so we see them when we shoot, but they can't see us when they shoot.* > The Kroot work wonders in cover as well. We without cover is like taking the armor off of a Space Marine.
Correct except for one thing: Tau do not enjoy jumping IN cover at all. Try to get completely over the cover if at all possible, otherwise you will find that bad rolls=dead crisis and stealth.
Closed Thread