Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to beat the biel-tan?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ilikebigguns
Default How to beat the biel-tan?

I am having a hard time beating my brothers biel-tan army because he always hides his vehicles and anything that carries troops behind area terrain so i can't see him for the first turn and then when it's his turn "Boom" he has dropped his howling banshees and striking scorpions in front of my fire warriors and from there thigns just go downhill. I was just wondering what kind of things to use against him and how i should place my guys if he is hiding like that and i get first turn?

P.S. I did try and find stuff on search but i couldn't find much, and we are both using 1000 Pt armys.

Tau
wins:14
Ties:5
Lost:4
Old 21 Aug 2005, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon
Default Re: How to beat the biel-tan?

if you field 2 'heads with rail's, + some crisis (either missiles or fusions), and he can avoid all of that (that's a LOT of manoeuverability), your having too much terrain IMO. with the Tau mobility, it shouldn't be a problem to get LOS, and remember, he can't disembark if moved over 12", so you really should be able to get a shot off before he strikes you (with Tau tanks, I can't see how it's possible to *not* get a single shot before he assaults you, unless 87% of the board is heavy terrain )

Hope I helped

~Olannon
Old 21 Aug 2005, 21:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yeah, it helped a little bit. thanks.

Tau
Old 21 Aug 2005, 21:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

but I still can't see how he can drop them on turn 1, unless he moved only 12", in which case you should be able to down his tank with fusion blaster/railgun/missile pod fire etc. Dismounting a couple of squads in front of your FW's? Put a tank or 2 in between, as he can't charge through/underneath them, just like a FoF move
Old 21 Aug 2005, 21:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Biel-Tan is a pretty nasty list, as it takes away our weapon's power, our tanks' armor and can shrug off most hits. My first (and only) loss was to biel-tan. I'm still bitter.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 21 Aug 2005, 22:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes, they do a very good job of shrugging of hits which is freakin annoying! I really hate their halo field where you have to roll two dice when your rolling to see what happens like if he is immobilised like that stuff and they make you roll two dice and pick the lowest one it's freakin annoying. ohh and I had a question if he moves more than 6 inches and i shoot and he gets immobilised does blow up? because I read somewhere that tha'ts what happens when it has moved more than 6 inches well just wondering....

Tau
Old 21 Aug 2005, 22:59   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Don't play with are terrain. ;D
Old 21 Aug 2005, 23:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

lol that would be nice.... ahh just letting my guns rip him apart...... but sorry my brother try's to fit as much terrain on as possible and building's because he hides his transports behind them.

Tau
Old 22 Aug 2005, 00:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Let him have the first turn. Hide your stuff exactly like he is doing. When he moves out you can shoot him.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 01:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

this goes along with other assaulty stuff facing Tau. in my area at least, theres one terrain habit that helps them out BIG time:

ALL the Terrain blocks LOS. by this i mean, its all buildings we classify as 'area terrain', and woods, and hills. now these all sound fine as a choice, but when you make a full quarter of the table area (we actually line up everything first to fill a full quarter) this kind of terrain... well, you get no targets to shoot at and you give assaulty armies a huge HUGE advantage.

there are three kinds of terrain, and in my area theres always one kind missing (and these three should be evenly represented). ill list the types and examples (quoting pg 78).. to illustrate what may be missing in all your Biel-Tan games:
1) blocks LOS and provides cover (woods and ruins)
2) provides cover but does NOT block LOS (scrubs/ low rubble)
3) blocks LOS but provides no cover (Hills)

#2 is the missing terrain. now in MY area the #2 terrain is little lines of hedges/sandbags/oil barrels/etc... the trouble is, theyre just 1/2" x 6" strips! and only get a minor showing table-space-wise. thats just not enough! giving a fully 2 foot by 3 foot total area of terrain (864 square inches), then 288 sq inches should be see-through-able.. thats um... 16.9 by 16.9 square inches of table space. (sorry for the math-geekyness). that 17" square of the table! thats a bretty big area, isnt it?

if you do like people do in my area, then 90% of that 864 square inches is LOS-blocking. thats waaaaaaay too much! start calling some ruins as 'low rubble', green patches as 'high grass', etc... the point being, things you can shoot over! your opponents use of cover will not be quite so overpowerfull, since now there will in effect be 1/3 LESS LOS blocking terrain on the table....