Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aun'Shi speed bump squad...
Closed Thread
Old 21 Aug 2005, 03:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Aun'Shi speed bump squad...

I am using Aun'Shi with a squad of fire warriors as a speed bump. Laying down some fire, and let them get assaulted (with photon grenades that is no problem). They should be able to kill some units, and weaken tougher ones. However, I am not sure how I should arm this squad. Should they get 6 pulse carbines, in hopes of pinning the enemy? Or all pulse rifle's for full efficiency?

Thanks for your advice in advance

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 03:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Aun'Shi speed bump squad...

Part of the concept of a speed bump is that it gets run over. Do you really want a squad with a member who, upon death, will force nearly every one of your other troops and elites to make a moral check or fall back?
Old 21 Aug 2005, 03:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, that is kind of the problem with Aun'shi. Ethereals weren't really meant for combat, despite their stats. The special rules negate any benefit from putting them in cc.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 03:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Carbines are nice with a squad like this because you can fire farther on the move. You can also use them for a nice tactical assault: run at the opponent and fire 6 carbines. If they're pinned, hold tight and repeat next turn. If they aren't pinned and run away, great! Use a battlesuit or drone squadron's assault move to keep them from regrouping next turn. If they hold tough, assault them. They may get to attack first, but the sheer number of attacks your fire warriors get will make up for the casualties. Just be sure to parry enough attacks to ensure Aun'shi does not die.

Just make sure you don't like this squad out in the open. Concentrated fire can be a death-knell to your army.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 21 Aug 2005, 04:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

With his WS5 and strength 5 attacks, of which he has 4...and his weapon being rending, he should be able to completely halt a squad...since all 12 firewarriors get 2 swings, with him. You guys think its a bad idea all together to use him?

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 04:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

For his points and just using him as cannon fodder, yes.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 04:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

If he is meant to be a speedbump (which are designed to be run over), then yes, he is a waste. If you just want to make a unit a bit tougher, and actually have them stand a chance in CC as well as getting the benefits of being an ethereal, then yes. Just remember that ethereals are inherintly not sacrificable (did I just make up a word?).
Old 21 Aug 2005, 04:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
(did I just make up a word?).
I don't believe so. You just used a presently existing word in a different form that isn't used much. I do it all the time. ^-^

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 04:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I think it's a crazy idea. However, it might be crazy enough to work. I'd have to see it in action.

Against a veteran set in his ways, it can cause lots of problems. For a new player, or an adaptable enemy, they'll probably just ignore this squad or shoot at it... or charge it first.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 04:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
Quote:
(did I just make up a word?).
I don't believe so. You just used a presently existing word in a different form that isn't used much. I do it all the time.* ^-^
I guess your right. I was thinking about it in the noun form, but in the verb form that suffix is perfectly acceptable.

Back on topic: I would try it out once or twice. As dire said, it might be crazy enough to work. Just don't expect it to solve all of the Tau's problems though.
Closed Thread