Closed Thread
Old 20 Aug 2005, 21:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default kroot hounds or krootox

i use both.

Old 20 Aug 2005, 21:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: kroot hounds or krootox

SO far, i have used neither. I use a pack of 15 kroot though, in almost every game.

Not through a lack of love for these units, but due to the fact i have never bought them.

Still, theoretically, i would happily use kroot hounds.
simple fact is, kroot are good at combat, but lack of initiative bites them. they are generally striking simultaneously, perhaps even last, and this hurts due to the fact that a lot of hits get thrown at the kroot, and they die. quite easily. so turn by turn, they do get whittled down, but they do generally pull lots of things down with them!

So, kroot hounds. extra initiative. strike simultaneously with marines, first against lots of other things. they allow you to throw an obscene number of attacks into a squad you are assaulting, thinning them considerably, lessening the return blows against your i3 kroot. and that is a good thing. and against marines, the kroot happily die first (they tend to bite chainswords very hard), leaving the slower kroot alive. and then these mutha get to throw in their attacks.

Factor in the "release the hounds" rule, and you have a unit that makes the kroot very very good in close combat.

would i take them? sure.

Krootox though is a totally different story. possibly the most useless unit in the game, i see no use for him a all. he is
(a) expensive
(b) takes up a heavy slot
(c) prevents infiltration

(a) he costs too much, and does too little in return, that other units in the list do better, and more reliably.
(b) he takes a slot that could be filled by a hammerhead. by my reckoning, there are two ways to do heavy support in 1500 points. 2 railheads, and an ionhead, or railhead, ionhead, and 2 broadsides. the krootox does not even rate a thought. the other two choices are far superior in every respect. plus, as mentioned, deathrain suits are far more reliable with the s7 hurting.
(c) infiltration. one of the things that make kroot brilliant. he removed their ability to go sneaky sneaky. and that is bad. so i dont take him, and no i certainly would not even consider taking him.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 20 Aug 2005, 21:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

now that i think about it,i'm using an ion-head a rail-head and a squad of 3 broadsides.

Old 20 Aug 2005, 22:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use neither of them, but the only one of those that are worth taking what so ever is the Kroot Hounds.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 23:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Neither for me as well. The hounds are certainly a better choice than the krootox, but kroot are best used for shooting from cover after infiltrating, and hounds don't really help with that. Some might add them as extra wounds, but for a point more you can buy another kroot that shoots.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 02:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I will get Kroot Hounds after I buy everything else I need, including Shas'ui models. I'm just not paying $10 USD for a slight CC boost when I still need other models.

I'll buy a krootox if I wander into games workshop drunk. ;D
Old 21 Aug 2005, 03:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Kroot hounds can really save you points and victory points if you take armor on your kroot. While kroot have to pay 1 pt each, kroot hounds get it for free. Sure you lose a shot, but you get I4 and "release the hounds" so it depends on whether you use your Kroot for eating or CC.

20 kroot, shaper, armor = 171 pts
12 kroot, shaper, armor, 8 hounds = 165 points

if you take 11 casualties during the course of the game, you would then give

20 kroot (11 dead): 85 pts.
12 kroot (4 dead), 8 hounds (7 dead): 24 victory pts.

You can actually take 13 casualties before having to give any more than 24 victory points (48 at 14, 107 at 15--ever had a squad that took 16 casuaties live to see the end of turn 6?). As battles get bloody (which for the kroot, they always seem to) you can give yourself that extra nudge in the endgame by taking hounds.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 21 Aug 2005, 04:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

My friend, who plays Space Marines but wants to try out a Tau army, says he LIKES the Krootox. He says that the Kroot Gun is good and it is powerful in CC. I told him that the Missile Pod has the same stats, doesn't waste Heavy Support, and is like having an automatic Rapid Fire with Assault 2, and the fact that the expensive Krootox dies easily to anything S6 or higher. Adding to that, it sucks in CC. The thing that makes Kroot considered good in CC is that they can infiltrate, and the stupid Krootox doesn't allow this. He just won't believe me in the fact that the Krootox is the worst unit in the entire Tau army list. Any way I can persuade him? Then again, I could just use my Tau army and blow it to kingdom come with a simple Missile Pod.

On topic, since the Kroot Hounds have "Fangs" in their inventory, does that count as an extra CC weapon? If they do, I might actually think of using them.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 04:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Nope. The hounds naturally get 2 attacks in CC, but the fang is just their normal weapon.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 04:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Then what significance do the Fangs have on the hounds?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Closed Thread