Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Forge World/TAU rules question
Closed Thread
Old 20 Aug 2005, 15:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Forge World/TAU rules question

If I posses a copy of the taros campain book, and I get some of the new suits, will I be able to use them in regular games, without needing their permmision?
Old 20 Aug 2005, 15:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: Forge World/TAU rules question

No.

FW rules always requite opponents permission. Although If anybody complains and refuses against most things from FW you could always throw an IAV at them, those things are really heavy [it would give them enough time to get out the way but they would get the message]. All of FW rules IMO are if anything under-powered. They are over pointed to ensure that people can't complain about them, just explain this to your opponent if they say no. It might bring them around.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 15:45   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So whats the point of buying something if you cant use it all the time, or in tournaments? I dont want to just have it sit there.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 16:40   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The point is for your collection. They models are great and add great flavor to whatever list you play with. BTW, many tournies do allow FW.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 16:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Official GW tournies don't allow FW rules.

The point is that this is a hobby, the models are great and add a new flavour to your games. Plus in freindly games people should be fine with you using them.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 04:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
FW rules always requite opponents permission.
This is not true. Published rules (i.e. those in Imperial Armor books) are almost always allowed in Rogue Trader tournaments...search for this on this board, I've posted links to GW's sample RTT rules somewhere around here. The only official games that explicitly ban Forge World models are GW Grand Tournaments, of which there are only a few every year, are only in select major cities, and require a pretty hefty investment just to go.

If you're playing a friendly game and someone calls foul, ask them if they are chicken. If they say no but that they just don't want to face your model, stick your hands in your armpits, wave them up and down, and cluck a few times. Perhaps even throw in a head peck and scratch at the floor. They'll give in.

The exception to this is flyers. Flyers always require the opponent's permission (and it says so in the flyer rules). This is due to the increased complexity they add to the game and the fact that most players don't prepare anti-aircraft lists or use AA models. They're over-gunned and nigh-impossible to destroy, even if you do get first crack at them. I wouldn't play against a flyer unless it was the best-painted model I'd ever seen and my opponent let me proxy whatever anti-aircraft equipment I wanted. And even then only maybe.

FW models are expensive enough in reality to be rare and in game to be worthwhile. Be individual--field something unique, just bring a photocopy of your rules with you in your case, and offer to let your oppenent see it. If they're hesitant, explain how subtle the differences between the FW model and the codex models, and have something of equal points value with you, just-in-case.

And remember: anyone (not employed by GW) who makes a big deal about it is probably not a good sport and wouldn't be fun to play against anyway.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 21 Aug 2005, 05:46   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

The trouble is that Forge World has been changing its scope lately. It used to be easy to disallow all Forge World stuff, since that just meant that you couldn't field flyers or Titans. Now that they are downscaling into regular units, it is a little harder. As Arquleon-veq mentioned, Forge World models are currently penalized as far as their point costs go, with the result being somewhere between a regular GW unit and one created with the VDR. I wouldn't bother with them unless you are playing more friendly or club games than tournaments.

On an unrelated note, did you get an autographed version, Veq? I made the cutoff, apparently.
Closed Thread