View Poll Results: Which do you use?
Etheral 9 23.08%
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit 30 76.92%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 19 Aug 2005, 10:58   #1 (permalink)
f
Kroot Shaper

Default Etheral or XV8 Crisis Battlesuit?

Which do you use as a HQ and why?
Old 19 Aug 2005, 11:01   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Etheral or XV8 Crisis Battlesuit

xv8 crisis suit purely cause they can help with a solid offence or long range defense and they have those jump pack s
Old 19 Aug 2005, 11:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Etheral or XV8 Crisis Battlesuit

I'll take the ethereal for the morale rerolls. Not only do you get to reroll failed saves, you can reroll passed ones when you decide that discretion is the better part of valor, but your models are feeling froggy. Plus, if he hangs out with (but doesn't join, always keep that IC status!!) the pathfinders, together they make EXCELLENT bait for a trap.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 19 Aug 2005, 11:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Etheral or XV8 Crisis Battlesuit?

I like using both, but XV8 Crisis Battlesuit Commander mainly for more accurate shooting of Missile Pods and Plasma Rifles, and survivability.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 13:06   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I always use a crisis HQ manily because he has more use than an ethereal. The only ethereal that i'll ever use is Aun'Shi. The plain ethereals have no save and they are worthless for me to use since i have a mech tau army. They can handle themselves in cc but its not worth using them if they are the only HQ u using. Aun'Shi has a save, invulnerable, and he is far better at cc than any other ethereal. Moral is not a problem for me so why bother. A crisis HQ is far more destructive than any ethereal. They can take on anything, except in cc but thats why they have 1 foot movement. If i ever use a second HQ its going to be another crisis HQ. They are just plain better than ethereals. They have a more active role on the battlefield and again they can lay down some serious firepower and take names later.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 14:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Gotta go with the suit. I just don't find myself taking so many leadership rolls that I can spend 50 points to reroll them. Not to mention the penalty if I lose the ethereal. Maybe an all dismounted mass of firewarriors could benefit, but then you'll have other problems.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 15:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

id vote choice C: Both

really, whats an extra 50 points for an Ethereal? if you double up Shas'els your really just sinking a LOT of points in just 2 models...

if you mean which has bigger benefits id say the Ethereal. i face a lot of Fear The Darkenss Librarians.. in Terminator Armor.. with buddies.... in Drop Pods.... the rerollable morale checks from the Fear practically negates it, and having an Ethereal stand between the legs of a Burning Eye Crisis squad (attached) makes THEM Fearless.

ya, big benefits.

Old 21 Aug 2005, 12:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxpetronivs
Gotta go with the suit.* I just don't find myself taking so many leadership rolls that I can spend 50 points to reroll them.* Not to mention the penalty if I lose the ethereal.* Maybe an all dismounted mass of firewarriors could benefit, but then you'll have other problems.
Hmm...a points argument against the ethereal? Our thinking is completely different. One reason that I take the ethereal is precisely to save points. It's cheapest way to dispose of the obligatory choice. Tau just don't have good HQ choices (aside from special characters). The improved stats of HQ suits doesn't justify the cost. I take my suits as elites because it's cheaper that way. Then again, I do take a full squad of pathfinders, so I get to give anyone I want BS5...and I can change my mind every turn. So, when I need them to be, my fireknife suits can be just as nasty accurate as an 'O, but this way I'm flexible enough to give that upgrade to anyone I want, as the ethereal's pheremones guide me....

Quote:
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, I'd never use pathfinders, so I suppose the extra support they give may help.

Really, the price difference isn't that great, and the IC status makes him a little more mobile. I don't like the idea of taking the ethereal because he's the cheapest option of a required slot: for a few more points I can get something that helps my army a decent amount, and doesn't carry some huge potential disaster with it the whole time.

Really, the only Tau units I have on the ground on a regular basis are 2 man crisis teams, and maybe a stealth squad. My experience is that these guys either get annihilated by drop troops or large indirect shots (basilisks). Either way, the squad's wiped out...no leadership roll needed. They don't get in HtH much, and if they do, they're ususally cut down right away....no help there. I'm usually shooting the nearest target, so I don't need to reroll for that, either.

I suppose the Ethereal can be an effective piece of bait, but that's a dangerous game. Tau (in my experience) pick targets apart little by little using their mobility to trade space for time. There's a good chance the ethereal will get caught, and that can be bad.

A shas'el with TL Plasma and a missile pod or fusion blaster can add a decent "punch" to your list. The fusion blaster especially can discourage things from advancing on a certain part of your line (monstrous creatures, wave serpents, etc).
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah. The 'El would actually be my last choice. In for a penny, in for a pound. If I took an HQ in suits, I'd take an 'O, again for economic reasons. The points difference between the El and the O versus the performance difference makes the O the obvious choice for me. Of course, it sounds like you have a mech tau list, while mine is mixed, so that may contribute to our difference of opinion. I'd never take an aun in a fully or even mostly mechanized list. But since I usually have two FW squads and 1-2 stealth squads on the ground... And the aun doesn't play bait alone. Not only is he within inches of the pathfinders (the rest of the bait), he can join them right before they mount up in their fish and fly away after the enemy steps into the trap. Having two dozen fire warriors nearby doesn't hurt, either.

And being 50 points wasn't the primary reason, primary was the rerolls (I have a static element, you don't), secondary the premium cost of HQ suits, tertiary was the 50 points.

Quote:
Closed Thread