Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinder scout move rules question
Closed Thread
Old 19 Aug 2005, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Pathfinder scout move rules question

I was stopped cold recently by someone telling me the scout movement for pathfinders does not include the devilfish.

What? This makes no sense! Why would I even take a devilfish if I couldn't use it for the pregame move? I can't find a specific rules entry to support my position. The redshirt at the store said that since the fish doesn't also have the scout move in its profile, it cannot move with the pathfinders. Obviously the fish can't have the scout move in its profile!

This is stupid, I'm just going to shout them both down. I'm really getting upset as I write this at the errors in thinking that they must have both leapt over to take the teeth out of my pathfinders. I really hope somebody can tell me that I'm wrong and embarrass me here so I don't have to go in there and look like a rules lawyer.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 02:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Pathfinder scout move rules question

They are wrong. I believe it states many, many times in various publications that the Devilfish can move as part of the scout movement.

Bloomin' Redshirts...

~Andromidius
Old 19 Aug 2005, 02:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

thats a sure sign of some1 trying to abuse your (sorry for the term) ignorance:

when anyone argues this way:
* "you think thats how the rules go? well say blah blah blah means that* blah blah blah this means blah blah blah so then* blah obviously* blah blah like everyone else!"

feel free to kick them in the teeth! they wanna be lawyers, and are trying to not Bedazzle you with Brilliance, but Befuddle you with BS! never mind how much sense what they say will make, listen for the above italisized keywords and stand your ground! YOUR not being the rules Lawyer,* the ones TALKING like Rules Lawyers are!

anyways, to clear up your Rules-VaguenessGawd help me this is gonna sound like the rules-lawyer warning descriptor above, so hey! ill RUN with it!) *ahem*

when the rules for the Pathfinders Foreward Scout ability says "This move may include disembarking from the Devilfish" that means that its an optional part of your foreward scout move. so then HOW can you do the Foreward Scout move if you dont have to leave your Transport? This means that your move is in the transport, and may include disembarking if you so wish. because yes, you can disembark after moving like everyone else!

:P
Old 19 Aug 2005, 04:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

It says in the codex (or the FAQ, but I think its in both) specfically that the pregame move can include using the devilfish. In the 'Forward Scouts' rule I believe. (I don't have my codex here atm..
Old 19 Aug 2005, 14:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

The codex says the move "may include disembarking from the devilfish".

My opponent argued that this means you can get out and walk, if you started in the fish.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 14:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

no the fish can move too

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 19 Aug 2005, 16:11   #7 (permalink)
Gim
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Gim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
The codex says the move "may include disembarking from the devilfish".

My opponent argued that this means you can get out and walk, if you started in the fish.
There is nothing either in the codex or in the main rulebook that prohibits scouts mounted in a vehicle from moving in that vehicle. As it sits, I think the onus is on your opponent to show you the rule that prohibits the unit from making use of their assigned transport.

Gim
Old 19 Aug 2005, 21:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In the Tau Codex on page 28 it says, "Pathfinders may make a normal move after deployment but before the first turn to get into a forward position. This move may include disembarking from the Devilfish." If someone looks just at that part then yes, I can see where they get that. BUT, think of it this way, the description says a normal move. A normal move for PF when in a Devilfish is to have the DF move then the PF disembark.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 22:10   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I would say that the devilfish is irrelevant in a way. It is bought as a dedicated transport which means it is a part of the squad and assigned to the squad and can only transport that squad. The free movement is a pathfinder skill and would include in my opinion anything purchased with the squad. Sort of like how the free movement doesn't count as moving for turn 1 if you had heavy weapons in the squad like rail rifles. It is a squad transport, not a independent vehicle.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 22:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

add to the above posts that Pathfinders may take any kit with them in their Foreward Scout move: Devifish, Drones, etc.

theres really no way to question this ruling, to argue against this is to be a loophole searching weasel!