Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shield Generator or Gun Drones
Closed Thread
Old 17 Aug 2005, 12:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ketter
Default Shield Generator or Gun Drones

A shield generator and a pair of gun drones cost the same (if the drone controller is taken as a hard-point option). Obviously the gun drones improve the offensive capabilities of an XV8. Also, a pair of gun drones add two wounds to the XV8, but the extra two wounds are only T3 with a 4+ armour save (instead of the XV8's T4 with a 3+ save). The shield generator doesn't add two wounds, but does add a 4+ invulnerable save. Which do you prefer, and why?
Old 17 Aug 2005, 12:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to zee666
Default Re: Shield Generator or Gun Drones

i prefer shield generators mainly because i use o'shovah and aun'shi i'm not allowed to use drones (limited resources an'all)
so shield generators are much better

Well people can't be per.. ooh look a penny.

No don't run, I just want to cut off your face.
Old 17 Aug 2005, 14:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I would also have to say shield generators, mainly for the fact of having a 50% chance to survive a strength 8-10 hit. And if you opponent knows what hes doing, the drones would probably be dead before that kinda of fire power comes at you.
Old 17 Aug 2005, 14:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Well at the moment, drones are kinda screwed over, and can't be used how they were in 3rd edition. That said, I'd take shield generators if I need to use them. Mainly because suits getting insta-killed isn't nice.. and you don't get the casualty morale tests etc as with drones.
Old 17 Aug 2005, 15:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dave

Well ... i gave another opinion about shield drones and broadside (i agree with you all for crisis)

When you put your broadside (2 for example) with 4 shield drones under size 2 cover and an ethernal on the table ... i'm sure your opponent ''ll face big problems to destroy it while you probably be able to remove all his big things from the table.

Old 17 Aug 2005, 16:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
i prefer shield generators mainly because i use o'shovah and aun'shi i'm not allowed to use drones (limited resources an'all)
so shield generators are much better
Two things
First, you can't use Aun'shi in an army with O'Shovah.
Second, you can use drones in a Farsight enclave army, you just can't use drone squadrons.
Old 17 Aug 2005, 16:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkus
First, you can't use Aun'shi in an army with O'Shovah.
I always wondered about this. Farsight Enclave cannot take the Ethereal unit, but I wonder if that holds true for special characters? Aun'Shi is not an Ethereal by the letter of the law, he's a special character. Not that I think it is in any way fluffy, but Aun'Shi's retinue of Orc Fighters (+1 WS, +2I, +1 A) would be pretty nasty.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 17 Aug 2005, 17:54   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

for a normal crisis team i'd say shield gens because theyl keep the suits alive longer. for a command crisis team, buy a forgeworld Shas'o R'mre (or whatever his name is) because he has the disruption pod that gives the whole sqaud an invonerable save. he also has a drone controler so u can have both.
"Ahh, I see. Have you tried running?"
"I still can't believe you paralyzed me!"
"Why don't you try... walking on you hands! then you could use your feet for high fives, and eat'n sandwiches. You know, the important stuff."
Old 17 Aug 2005, 20:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Gun Drones, all the way. The only remote possibility when I field Shield Drones is when I actually use Broadsides (which is rare now that I primarily play Mech Tau)

The only thing having Shield Drones does for a Crisis Suit is grant two 4+ Inv. saves that keep the drones from harm, but not necessarily the suits.

Assuming you don't want to lose a suit from the first round of shooting, you run a 2 Suit / 2 Drone squad like I do. If your Crisis Suits take heavy weapons fire from the onset, then your opponent isn't playing smart. If your opponent has played against Tau before he'll try to strip those drones from that squad by using small arms fire (storm bolters, big shootas, etc...) and then send the big heat towards your vulnerable suits. Plus the Gun Drones add that needed extra firepower to pin and cause a few wounds on units those suits are bearing down on.
Also, I have a tendency to work my Suits relatively close to the enemy (to use my Plasma and Burst Cannons) than I do with my Broadsides. And since my Suits get shot at more by front line infantry(when they are caught in the open), having shield drones at +5 pts more a pop doesn't justify the cost when on average I lose them to bolter and shoota fire anyway.

The only unit that really needs Shield Drones at this point are the Broadsides. B'Sides shouldn't move much at all, and the only thing that will try to engage them for 2 - 3 turns are going to be anti-armor weapons. Save those 10 pts on a seeker missile for your Pathfinders.

-SaturN
Old 17 Aug 2005, 23:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like Shield Generators. On Crisis Suits, I believe they are only useful on a monat deep-striking Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster-toting suit (forgot name) so he can survive not getting bombarded. But the one thing I love SG on are Broadsides. I cannot say how many times people have insta-killed my Broadside, and I think the generator makes it less appealing to shoot at.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Closed Thread