Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question Regarding Gue'vesa Rules on UK site...
Closed Thread
Old 16 Aug 2005, 20:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Question Regarding Gue'vesa Rules on UK site...

Okay, I realize that there are a couple other threads about using humans, but I feel this is more specific and off-topic for the other threads. According to the GW UK site-

http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/doctrines/2/

I'm relatively sure now that we can incorporate elements of IG into the Tau army, if I read that correctly. They are very ambiguous and vague in their description and examples, but apparently we can use select parts of the IG in the Tau army as Organization Chart choices. For instance, it refers to using Heavy Support platoons, Carapace Armour, etc. So I could, for instance, take a Mortar Platoon as a Heavy support Choice if I wished, correct? If this is so, it would certainly help fix the lack of indirect fire!

If you can, please give some input on this, I'd like to hear what you guys think.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 16 Aug 2005, 20:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Question Regarding Gue'vesa Rules on UK site...

Nope, You get this and only this for tau http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapter...2Dauxiliaries/ But if you really want imperial stuff (tau is much better) VDR away, do the stats,do the cost up, make the model up, and get permission from who your playing and go crazy.

Edit: Unless there is something in the new taros campain book that i'm unaware of since i'm poor and its so expesive!
Old 16 Aug 2005, 20:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I'm wondering how you got that you can use Imperial Guard options etc in a Tau army from something that pretty much says:

' You can use Imperial Guard Doctrines to make your Guard army look like a Tau human auxilliary army '

It says nowhere at all in that article about any options for Tau at all.

So, no. You can't. Just wishful thinking.

Nope, nothing in the Taros book for the Tau either with regards to Guard options, the only extra human things they get is miner gang squads. These are pretty much Guard with two CC weapons and you can have an Ogryn in the squad too.

Old 16 Aug 2005, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

How did I get that?

I misread it.

lol, yeah, I missed that whole part about "Concepts for an army" thing.

Now I feel dumb.

If someone wants to close/lock this, since it's totally useless, that'd be awesome.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 16 Aug 2005, 22:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

well, we all do mistakes? You're not the first one considering some nasty demolisher/indircet fire heavy support choice in a Tau army, I've seen quite a few posts around On the contrary, this thread is useful, as it shows the mods that perhaps a thread should be made ( a sticky one/important topic) :

"The only human unit Tau can include are... blah blah blah......
...not tanks/mortars etc"
Old 16 Aug 2005, 22:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nothing is stopping you from buying the Imperial Guard Codex, some IG units and filing off every Imperial Eagle you find. Then painting them in Tau desert camo and calling them Gue'Vesa. That's exactly what I would do if I had $600 laying around and 2 months of free time.
Old 17 Aug 2005, 17:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

I also found this thread ... I think yesterday and thought that we could use more units (heavy and special weapons) in our tau army. The only thing was that this wasn't mentioned in the Tau section of the GW-site. But I would seriously consider taking the heavy weapons ... I think even sentinels are mentioned ... IF we could. >

The sentinel would fit perfectly next to the Crisis as they are both bipeds. But I'm against taking human tanks ... they just look to old ... OK there strong but they don't 'look' good in a Tau army.

Maybe I'll buy 2 or 3 sentinels, my friends codex is always here (because I have a gaming table of 4' by 8&#39 and we play here ones a month. So I wouldn't have to buy the codex ... I'll just use his :P

Also ... I was always wondering why Gue'vesa couldn't take their normal weapon updates, grenade launcher, flamer etc. They are afterall humans that are incorporated in our army. I don't think they would think: "Hey let's destroy the heavy weapons so the Tau can't use them.", I surely wouldn't, "Keep them they can come in handy some time." ;D

Just an idea but in case that u could use heavy weapons, there would be more that took the Gue'vesa, instead of always choosing Kroot. :-X

Greetz

Old 19 Aug 2005, 00:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wow, I'm surprised this thread is still alive. Good points all.

Olannon - yeah, that kind of thread would be pretty cool. I mean, GW openned a huge door when they created rules for Human Auxiliaries, in more ways than one - possibilities in: modelling, fluff, new/modified [human] units for the Tau army [after requiring Humans to be in the army], rules, etc. I would truly like to see the Tau be a true conglomerate army, able to take stuff from other races, but preserving game balance of course. There are many purists who value the Tau as they are, and I respect that, but there are so many possibilities [with the list above], it boggles my mind. I mean, Tau players (for the most part, I have seen) have always wanted to have indirect weapons to use. What better, more obvious, better fluff than using Human mortars or Basilisks? I'd stick with Mortars personally, because we already have other powerful stuff, and it fits my army concept better (forest/jungle combat, visa vi Vietnam). BTW, your username isn't from Final Fantasy Tactics, is it? Sounds so familiar...

UN17 - no, I don't plan on making an IG army any time soon, Tau-themed or otherwise; like I said, I mis-read the GW page; it wasn't even wishful thinking, just rushing the reading, lol. I do want to make an IG army, but not till after I make my Black Super-Gothic Inquisitorial Imperial Conglomerate-of-Death Army. IG is attractive to me in more ways than one, but not yet will I build one. Desert-camo IG would be pretty beefy though...

Pisces_808 - I think Sentinals would be awesome to have; they'd give us a new viable Fast Attack option, and be a viable alternative to Railguns and give us valuable AP2 and other weapons, but I don't think it would be over-balanced since, like Crisis Suits, only have BS3. I don't think they'd overrule Crisis either, since they are inherently more survivable (at least in my opinion). I also dislike the idea of using Imperial tanks; next to ours, they both look and are antiquated. That, and we simply don't need them; if we want indirect fire, as I've said before, I think Mortars in Human squads would fit perfect; Gue'vesa's use and points value would then be justified; without back-up weapons, they're nearly useless. As far as not being able to use them, I'm sure their are a variety of reasons (I can think of a few now), but I'm about done with this book, lol. I think Kroot are great, as long as you don't let them become a points sink and use them well; I've found, that like everything else in the Tau army, they take practice and cunning.
Closed Thread