Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

DevilFish Drones surviving a wreck?
Closed Thread
Old 16 Aug 2005, 00:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default DevilFish Drones surviving a wreck?

drones on devilfishes count as passengers, and use their own BS to shoot. i reread this in the Codex today, and something occured to me:

If a DevilFish gets immobilized after moving over 6" (and is destroyed), do the Drones get to do a disembark, Save, Save, Entangle-check? i dont see why not.

on the same note: when a DevilFish takes a Pen hit, do the drones have to do the mandatory disembark as well? again, i dont see why not.

maybe everybodys been throwing those 2 drones away for no real reason all the time... it wont make a HUGE difference gamewise, but 2 drones extra never hurts, right?
Old 16 Aug 2005, 00:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: DevilFish Drones surviving a wreck?

Yep. Says so in the gun drones entry... "treated as passengers if the vehicle is damaged."
Old 16 Aug 2005, 02:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wow! I've been giving up two whole drones this whole time! In my mind they went down with the ship under the ghastly green volley of Necon flayer rounds. But the codex does state they are treated as passengers, right? So the next time my Devilfish takes a plow into the ground, I'll have to remember to detach C3PO and R2D2 from their docking ports.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 04:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I want to clarify my earlier post - it says this in the Gun Drone vehicle upgrade entry in the codex - not the gun drone entry. It is on page 20.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 04:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN17
Wow! I've been giving up two whole drones this whole time! In my mind they went down with the ship under the ghastly green volley of Necon flayer rounds. But the codex does state they are treated as passengers, right? So the next time my Devilfish takes a plow into the ground, I'll have to remember to detach C3PO and R2D2 from their docking ports.
I can't believe you missed this! It creates a situation that I call "sweet drone revenge":

Devilfish gets destroyed
Drones hop out, use the vehicle for cover
Drones jump behind offending vehicle
Hit, damage, destroy

I usually keep my devilfish far upfield, meaning that even if the drones begin falling back (Ld of 4, after all), with some lucky roles they can get a few (possibly pinning) shots before they run off the table. I wish your opponent only got half victory points unless the drones came off of the table, they'd be worth the 20 points then.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 16 Aug 2005, 05:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

I always thought that since the Devilfish was destroyed, and thus its Drone Controller...that the Drones were destoyed too. The same as if a Crisis had drones and it was destoryed...the drones go too. If this is the case...then why can't I use seekers that were on a downed Devilfish? they arent fired by it.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
Old 16 Aug 2005, 13:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

But they are attached to the hull.

Really, it's just common sense - the Drones would have AI, realise the Devilfish is going down (just like any Fire Warriors in the back would) and try to detach and get away safely. Seekers, on the other hand, are mindless, and will go down with the Devilfish and be as worthless as the rest of the Devilfish's systems in the crash/explosion.

~Andromidius
Old 16 Aug 2005, 13:49   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay, first of all, please note that I haven't actually bought my Tau army yet, so I haven't tried what I'm going to say. Plus I'm not sure I'd have the balls to try this on anyone, as they might get angry and punch me ::Professor Frink voice:: "Oh, the pain, with the hitting and the hurting and the - glaven!"

But... on page 17 of the Tau Codex, under Drones - Leadership, it says:

Quote:
If the number of drones drops below (emphasis added) 4 then their Leadership is counted as 4.
Now the number of drones never 'dropped below' four, because it was at one to start with - therefore, shouldn't the Leadership be 7? Fluffwise, what if the Tau Earth Caste came up with a more expensive minitureised AI system, perhaps one that uses esoteric components, ones they have to trade with Rogue Traders to get? They, sensibly, wouldn't put these on every cannon-fodder drone that ships out of their factories, but, perhaps, guarding the lives of the Shas on board might be considered important enough to put prototype weapons systems aboard the Devilfish?
Old 16 Aug 2005, 14:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think that's just another case of GW not wording the rules perfectly.

I don't think it's a case of the Drones being 'inferior' but that they have a pre-programmed self preservation programs built in. If the Tau wanted, they could make the Drones utterly fearless. But that's a waste in their eyes, as is wasting the lives of their Fire Warriors.

Silly, but ah well.

~Andromidius
Old 16 Aug 2005, 15:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Leadership 4/7 is a simple way to use the rules to simulate a collective conciousness. Only when there are more than four can they think together as a really effective cohesive group, hence Ld 7. Like it was said, GW didn't word the rules perfectly.
Closed Thread