Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlesuit Fluff Questions, preference poll..
View Poll Results: If you were a Tau battlegroup commander, which suit would you take?
XV8 Crisis (Standard Crisis Suit) 10 17.54%
XV81 Crisis (Two Hardpoints and a Smart Missle System) 15 26.32%
XV84 Crisis (Integrated Target Lock + Markerlight, Two hardpoints?) 10 17.54%
XV89 Crisis (Looks like heavier armor and two hardpoints) 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 13 Aug 2005, 02:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn
Default Battlesuit Fluff Questions, preference poll..

Okay, let me first turn on the thread-lock kryptonite by saying that all I mentioned above of the Forgeworld suits is derived from the site. I don't have the book and I'm just speculating.

Fluff question: Are the Tau battlesuits just a series of well-connected systems, or do they neurologically connect to their users?

Personally, I'd pick the XV84 with a missle pod and plasma rifle, plus a hardwired multitracker, and two XV89s as my bodyguards.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 03:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Battlesuit Fluff Questions, preference poll..

http://groups.msn.com/MechanizedTauT...33232440132565

If the XV-89 were a bit more mobile (read: moreso than a freaking Thousand Son) It would be my choice, followed by the 81 for a barage of fire.

The XV-84 is a squad-based model, and the Target Lock only makes sence if you have bodyguards - with the removal of IC privilages, noone in their right mind would use a BG unit, the only upside is that you still have open hardpoints.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 03:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

If *I* was the commander, I would indeed take bodyguards. I'm not about to yell at some marines in the heat of battle, "Hey, you can't target me! I'm an independent character! Shoot those guys, they're closer!"

I would take the suit with the target lock and markerlight built in. Probably twinlinked plasma with that.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 03:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

id take the '89.

why? i dunno, the armor save mostly. too bad a Lascannon can still vaporise me though. the other two suits just dont erm... suit me (badum bum!). really though i dunno why this would be my pick the more i think about it....... whats really the 2+ gonna save me from? what AP3 weapons are i afraid of? none.. wait! Krak missiles i guess!! my point is, most heavy weaponry aimed my way wouldnt care if i was armor 3+ or 2+, so why pay for it? that leaves me with STYLE then, i guess... :

the '81 screams "coward!" to me, since smart missile system means big building in front of me.... some leader!

the '84 seems... un-shooty to me... since of course you cant markerlight your own guns, and the markerlight is ALL youd be able to shoot.. oh, and you cant MOVE when you do, either! if i woke up in this suit mid-battle, im sure i wouldnt have a CLUE what to do.... what action has priority.. ("do i attack? do i stand and marker someone else? nono then im a sitting duck.. what about my bodyguard? can they shoot while i mark?? nono, THEY should markerlight for ME.. but but IM the better shot, maybe i should........") ,id just stand there making little agitated jerks with my arms... :P

Fluff: i guess theyre personal jewelry/earpiece/eyewear... since Ethereals and Shas'ui Squad leaders can have them without a suit and powerplant.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 04:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You could markerlight for your own guns if you had a HW Multilock, couldn't you?

The 81 dosen't seem horrible to me. Long range fire support. Would probably be good if you joined it up with a Twin-Linked Plasma rifle for the sake of a ranged shot or the rapid fire option. Would also probably work well with twin-linked missle pods. Talk about long-range punishment.

The 84 looks good if you've got a lot of hammerheads. Spotting capacity, plus two potentially deadly weapons. Again, set it up with twin-linked rocket pods for long range fire, and you're in business. Hit something relatively close with twin-linked rocket pod, light something up with the markerlight for the hammerheads, and then jetpack away.

The 89 seems better for the bodyguards so you can get the majority save.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 04:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlydawn
You could markerlight for your own guns if you had a HW Multilock, couldn't you?
When the tau invent the multilock we can.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 04:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You know what I'm talking about. No need to be scarcastic.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 04:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to CommanderNightstalker Send a message via Yahoo to CommanderNightstalker

Quote:

Fluff question: Are the Tau battlesuits just a series of well-connected systems, or do they neurologically connect to their users?

Personally, I'd pick the XV84 with a missle pod and plasma rifle, plus a hardwired multitracker, and two XV89s as my bodyguards.
To answer your question, I'd refer you to the novel Kill-Team. One of the Last Chancers (codenamed: Brains) decides to screw the mission and hop into a battlesuit. He gets in and starts everything up. However, it failed to fully start up, and the chest hatch opened to reveal a very toasted Brains in the command chair. Reason eing was because the Bettlesuit has neural interfaces which did not find the proper conduits and short-sicuted the poor gue'la. which is also another reason why Tau get Battlesuit neurosis. They feel so powerful when connected to their Battlesuit that they think they can take on the Chaos horde by themselves and jeopardize the team...etc etc etc.

Anyhow: if I would have to choose a Commander Battlesuit, it would be the XV84 with Hardwired Blacksun Filter, Hardwired Multi-Tracker, Burst Cannon, and Plasma Rifle. With Bodyguard of course.
"Duty. Honor. Vigilance. These are the three values that you of the Shas Caste should have burned within your hearts. To live these values is to be a Fire Warrior of Ta'ran. It is these values that set us apart from our Sept Brethren. With Duty, Honor, and Vigilance on our minds, nothing can stand in our way."

- Commander Nightstalker
Old 13 Aug 2005, 04:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
You know what I'm talking about. No need to be scarcastic.
I actually don't. The wording of the markerlight doesnt allow you to fire any other weapons besides the markerlight from that model. The target lock has nothing to do with allowing a markerlight to mark for your guns, it just allows you to target something different from the rest of your guns.

Thinking about it, you probably meant the multitracker, since the suit with the markerlight already has a target lock for free and you specified HW. Didn't mean to be an ass, but I was genuinely confused about what you meant.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 05:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I was refering to the multitracker, and I distinctly remember reading that a markerlight COULD be fired along with another weapon so long as the model had a multitracker, and met the criteria for the markerlight being a heavy weapon.