Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Disengaging drones and unit coherency question
Closed Thread
Old 09 Aug 2005, 20:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Disengaging drones and unit coherency question

I recently played in a game that involved a bit of a rule dispute regarding gun drones on DF's.

Since they become a separate unit after "disembarking" from the fish, do they have to move into unit coherency when they detach? or can they detach and be on opposite sides of the fish?

It came up after I had "disembarked " my drones and my opponent assaulted one of them. They were not within 2" of each other so I thought that 1 could not be hit. He said that they must move into coherency after disembarking, and theerfore wiped them out.

This would mean the gun drones can only move one way when disembarking- out front and in coherency.
I always thought they could be removed and could move into coherency on the next turn.

What is the ruling on this??
Old 09 Aug 2005, 21:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Disengaging drones and unit coherency question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Rama
I recently played in a game that involved a bit of a rule dispute regarding gun drones on DF's.

Since they become a separate unit after "disembarking" from the fish, do they have to move into unit coherency when they detach? or can they detach and be on opposite sides of the fish?

It came up after I had "disembarked " my drones and my opponent assaulted one of them. They were not within 2" of each other so I thought that 1 could not be hit. He said that they must move into coherency after disembarking, and theerfore wiped them out.

This would mean the gun drones can only move one way when disembarking- out front and in coherency.
I always thought they could be removed and could move into coherency on the next turn.

What is the ruling on this??
Gun Drones are considered passengers in regards to damage. When they "disembark" from the Devilfish, they do so just like any other squad disembarks. They do not just unhinge from their holding bays. Rule-wise, there is nothing about them only being able to disembark from their holding bays. They disembark as a normal unit does, from the only entry points we have on the Fish, ie: left side, right side, or rear. They cannot disembark from the front of a Devilfish. Page 20 has the rules for how they disembark (exactly the same as normal infantry do).

So as for your question, that rules dispute actually shouldn't have come up, because when they disembark, they would have been in coherency already anyways, as par the rules of disembarking.

The problem stemmed from you disembarking your Gun Drones in a way that actually isn't legal

Remember: Gun Drones "detach" as a disembarking normal infantry unit. Ie: they disembark from a port, which on the devilfish can only be found on the left, right and rear of the fish, and when they disembark, they must be in coherency and all that.

Anyhow, you can do it next time

Cheers!
Old 10 Aug 2005, 14:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

But what about hammerhead it doesn't have any acces point so where should gund drones disembark from hammerhead? I allways played like the hammerhead and devilfish alike have acces point for drones on the place of drone cradles. I know it isn't in rules but it is fair.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 14:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't think those things on the HH are drones.

Wanax
Old 10 Aug 2005, 14:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

The burst cannon and SMS turrets are not drones, but if you upgrade a Hammerhead with the Gun Drones upgrade the best way to represent them is by placing them in the drone cradles and putting the secondary weapons in self made mounts on either side of the chin sensor dome.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 15:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

And if you gave drones to the hammerhead, you would - according to Malveaux's explanation - disembark them from the access hatches as if they were fire warriors.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 16:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

But the Hammerhead has no access hatches in its profile. I would detach gundrones from wherever they were attached, but you must still keep them in coherency. That's how ive a;ways played it anyways, oh and you can move them in different areas, you just have to be creative with your two inches.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 01:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to joeboy77

I was actually told by a red shirt (GW employee) that drones detatch from the front.

The 2" coherency issue for me does mean I need to put my drones w/in a 2" radius from their cradles. Which means either 2" from the lhs or rhs drone cradle or 2" in front of the tank.

But I could be mistaken, so please don't take my word for it... ask around. That's just how we play in our shop.

So get off yer butt and go for your dreams !!

Please Visit http://www.forevermorejewellery.com

Do you know that WoW spelled backwards is WoW ??

Read it upside down, it spells MoM...

Freakky
Closed Thread