Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Krrrroooooooottttt!
Closed Thread
Old 08 Aug 2005, 21:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Krrrroooooooottttt!

I was just wondering how many of you out there actually used them??

I'm having good fun painting mine at the moment, covering them in blood and gore and making them all messy after the impeccable body suits of my Tau...but are they really worth using?

By the way, check out my story in the story section, and let me know what you think!
Old 08 Aug 2005, 21:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Krrrroooooooottttt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewrog
I was just wondering how many of you out there actually used them??

I'm having good fun painting mine at the moment, covering them in blood and gore and making them all messy after the impeccable body suits of my Tau...but are they really worth using?

By the way, check out my story in the story section, and let me know what you think!
ya you sould use them because there cheap and if there in a forest there allmost invurnable and there really good at slowing the enemy units and if you have 20 you can acally do some damage
"they got ded big shooty guns dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz,coz you anit gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough ta crump em"

warlord skarmork the great despolier
Old 08 Aug 2005, 21:55   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks, I'll have to get some more.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 21:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I traded the Kroot I got from the Battleforce box back to the store in exchange for Fire Warriors. From what I've heard, they're pretty excellent in their roles as the CC alternative for Tau. Mainly because of their numbers and ability to shoot unhindered from within jungles. I didn't like their 'barbaric' style, which funny enough, you seem to enjoy. The only non-Tau units I would consider putting into my army right now would be Gue'Vesa. If Vespids turn out to be non-barbaric, I may consider letting them into my Cadre too. Good luck with your Kroot Shewrog!
Old 08 Aug 2005, 22:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i like Kroot, i always play them in my armies.... sometimes they are AWESOME (killed a termie squad, killed a librarian, killed Genestealers that assaulted THEM, etc), sometimes they die instantly (basilisk shot landed in them outside of cover.. EEK! flamers, EEK!...) .

but the thing i like most about them is their GUNS. think about it.... for the price of a guardsman, you get a slightly less Armor Piercing BOLTER.... not some lasgun. AP6 is kinda lousy, but think about it: either they get a save or they dont whoever they are in BOTH cases whether your AP6 or AP5... there arent many 5+ saves out there... so.. BOLTERS! Add to this little gem of a gun that its a full on Rifle, right? no pistol-like abilities... but the spikey bits count as an additional Close Combat Weapon! its like having a bolter AND a chainsword.... or the True Grit ability..... for 7 points each! Lets hang around the Bolter subject a bit longer: basic space marines have pretty good guns, right? but only come in squads of 5-10.... kroot field 10-20. 20 kroot cost 140 points. its a lotta guns. its cheap. you get assault benefits.

ok, assault benefits: nothing bothers orks or assault space marines more than assaulting the wrong unit... or not getting to the unit theyre aiming for. kroot are great (in my experiences) as Interdiction-Assaulters (Interdiction is a fancy word for 'cut them off&#39 the kroot charge them first when things look bad for the Tau (which at some point they always do). assaulting is obvioius: just remember that though the stats say 1 attack, they get +1 from their guns. always.

kroot own Orks cause of I3.. just watch out for waaaghs (meaning try to set up where YOU assault them)... but that I3 means Space Marines own them..... not much to do about that... EXCEPT invest in some hounds..... hounds eat marines..... get the I4 wounds dealt to THEM, then the kroot swing away.... handy meat shield. usefull meat shield.

lets talk about skills:

fieldcraft. this ones kewl. they dont take difficult terrain test in forests or jungles, kewl. BUT the really kewl part is they can see (read: shoot) through 12" of those terrains, while everyone else can 'see' through only 6". old trick: stand 7" deep in woods, kroot can shoot out, no one can shoot back... AND most cant assault through those 7" either. this is why they say 'kroot in woods is invulnerable' and 'kroot call woods their bunkers'... oops forgot that extra bit: +1 cover save in woods/jungles as well. Fieldcraft. Luv it!

Infiltrate: everyone knows infiltrate can put the kroot up really close to the enemy. but thats not teh real benefits of infiltrate (at least for me).Infiltrate means that kroot are usually placed DEAD LAST in setup, which usually means you can put them exactly where they need to be most, AFTER you see where everything else is placed. THATS awesome! my Kroot are ALWAYS infiltrated well in my half of the table (for support), and always in the bestest of spots..... and when i see assaulters up close to my Firing line.. yup: kroot line up in front of said firing Line. handy.

whew, well this turned into a big rant, so ill wrap it up. kroot are kewl. fragile, by no means front line, but kewl.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 23:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Not only do I play Tau, but i also play a Kroot Merc Army and WOW do u notice the difference between tau kroot and kroot by themselves. Plus u have to love Great Knarlocs and the regular Knarlocs. > ;D

"We are the might of Tau'va and the Aun. Our might knows no bounds and our Technology can overcome any foe. We are the Omega Cadre and we conquer in the name of TAU'VA!!!!" Common pre-engagement encouragement from Shas'Ui of the Omega Cadre before battle commences.
Old 09 Aug 2005, 02:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I really liked kroot when I played Tau, I was kind of alone in that though. I think there is one other guy in the group I play against that actually likes kroot, and he made a kroot merc list. I'm planning on taking kroot mercs in my Gue'vassa Guard army as soon as I can get a hold of the rules.
Old 09 Aug 2005, 03:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/kro...-merc-list.pdf
All you have to do is go to Chapter Approved.

Kroot are best suited to Static Tau, as they can block enemies reaching the entrenched Tau shooters. Mech Tau has little use for the Kroot Mercinaries, as when using purely units mounted in skimmers or equipped with jetpacks, they cannot keep pace and are strategically unwieldy.

Old 09 Aug 2005, 03:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I use Kroot for shooting. Assaulting with Kroot gets them killed. Nobody bothers assaulting the Kroot, easier to just blaze them up. Its a nice price point wise. 50% hit chance, decent strength to take down infantry.
Old 09 Aug 2005, 16:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

kroot are amazing.

the reasons for this have been stated by calaban, even though he forgot the cover save bonus.....

Kroot work in any tau army, whether static, mech, or hybrid.

I always recommend taking some in a tau army, and i will take kroot mercs in the eldar army i am planning - fluff and new codex pending!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Closed Thread