Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Advice needed for battle
Closed Thread
Old 04 Aug 2005, 10:52   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Advice needed for battle

I need some advice about playing a battle against my mate. He's been playing Tyranids for a number of years before we both stopped playing. The rules changed and about a month ago we started to come back into it. Saving our pennies we've amassed a 600pt army each. Last week I had a 600pt battle with my Tau army against my mates formidable 'nid' force.

I've never beaten him. And its my tactics using the Tau which is the problem. The firepower is great but throughout my game I suffered really poor dice rolls and none of my shots were landing.

I have...

12 Firewarriors with 2 Gun Drones
1 Broadside with rail guns and seeker missiles x2
Aunshi
1x 3 man stealth squad with gun drone

kitted out with all the available wargear it stretches to about 600pts I think.

Anyway, I massed all my force together in one place (my first mistake) and decided to try and kill everything before it reached me. However, my broadside was doing nothing as my rolls to hit were awful all day. My firewarriors managed to wipe out a couple of Termagaunt and Hormaguant squads before the Genestealers reached my entire force. I was carrying Photon Grenades which helped a little bit eventually they massacred me by Turn 5. I was amazed I lasted that long looking back.

Anyway, I realised my first main mistake was staying in one place. For several reasons this was a bad idea.

1) It meant the entire Tyranid force could mass as one huge unit and overrun me.
2) It meant that the creatures were always within the alloted range for the Zoanthropes synapse.
3) I had nowhere to run and once close combat started I was a gonner.

Aunshi survived until Turn 6. He was a dude. He must've killed a good 6-7 Genestealers and almost a squad of Hormagaunts alone by himself. A hero! He was the last to die.

But I need some more advice on some basic rules of thumb for the Tau. I still havent worked out the best idea. Should I spread everything out and trying and stay away from the Tyranids? I dont think its possible is it? If I move forwards i'll be into close combat by Turn 2. And that'll be the end of me. Should I move to the corners and try and separate the Tyranid force into two?

Any advice would be a great help.
Old 04 Aug 2005, 11:40   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Advice needed for battle

First u need 2 troops choices which u have 1. But i say u get rid of ur stealth team and drones. Then with those points, put in another team of firewarriors. Now for the Broadsides. They only useful for armor, sure they got the smart missile system but i don't ever use them unless i need to. U want to kill groups of nids not 1 or 2 a turn. Instead of the Broadsides, use a Rail Hammerhead with burst cannons instead of the smart missile system. For the same amount of points u get a hammerhead that can kill armor and strong toughness and with subminitions can kill crowds of nids very efficiently. Now for Aun shi, i rather use a Shas'El or Shas'o. Aun Shi is good for an ethereal in close combat but u don't want to get in close combat with nids. So use a Crisis Suit HQ. Give him a burst cannon/ maybe flamer or missile pod/ multi target. Most likely u will be using a Shas'el since hes cheaper and he still have a good bs of 4.

U'll have 2 squads of firewarriors, drones are usless in this case, a rail gun hammerhead for crowd control, and a stong HQ that kill off many nids. In 600 points thats the way i approch his nids. If u don't have some of the stuff i mention, then just represent them with coins or something. As for tactics, u may want to get in a good spot for line of site and just shoot them to death, running around will be pointless since the nids will catch up.
Old 04 Aug 2005, 11:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

He did say those are the only models he has...

Anyways with what you have, I would start by lining up your firewarriors for maximum shooting time, but when the nids get close, walk AUn'shi out in front to fight them. Have your broadside fight all the mounstrous creatures with his railgun, but hide beside a piece of terrain so they can only come from one side, which is where the firewarriors are.

The stealth suits should deploy just outside of 18 inches, so they can't charge you on first turn, then jump in, fire, jump out, and repeat, try to alwasy end up more than 18" away.

Hope it helps!

Lucky

Some wise words:

If at first you don't succeed... I wouldn't recommend skydiving.

A bird in the hand is safer than one overhead.

Anger is a condition where the tongue works faster than the mind.

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Wise men learn by other men's mistakes, fools by their own. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.
Old 04 Aug 2005, 12:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyleprechaun
He did say those are the only models he has...

Anyways with what you have, I would start by lining up your firewarriors for maximum shooting time, but when the nids get close, walk AUn'shi out in front to fight them. Have your broadside fight all the mounstrous creatures with his railgun, but hide beside a piece of terrain so they can only come from one side, which is where the firewarriors are.

The stealth suits should deploy just outside of 18 inches, so they can't charge you on first turn, then jump in, fire, jump out, and repeat, try to alwasy end up more than 18" away.

Hope it helps!

Lucky
This is sound advice from Lucky.

In order to make your list legal, simply split your FW into two units of 6 and try to stay in cover. Remember they can shoot through 6" of trees. Make sure you take a MT for the BS, so he can unload missiles and rail gun shots into the larger nids. Some of those nids can get regeneration, so try to punch them down in one turn with full salvos. Too bad you don't have a DF, as this would help you move away from the bugs.

Also concentrate all of your fires on one unit at a time if possible. All stealth, all FW, all drones shoot the biggest threat (closest) unit. Don't split up your fires amongst many targets. You want to take down the bugs by units.

Also don't worry if you have to stand firm and not manuver, since you have no way of outrunning the nids on foot; just use terrain to create channels where he will have to pack his troops in and they will run afoul of each other limiting there ability to get at you all at once.

Wanax
Old 04 Aug 2005, 12:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorburn
I need some advice about playing a battle against my mate. He's been playing Tyranids for a number of years before we both stopped playing. The rules changed and about a month ago we started to come back into it. Saving our pennies we've amassed a 600pt army each. Last week I had a 600pt battle with my Tau army against my mates formidable 'nid' force.

I've never beaten him. And its my tactics using the Tau which is the problem. The firepower is great but throughout my game I suffered really poor dice rolls and none of my shots were landing.

I have...

Aunshi
1x 3 man stealth squad with gun drone

kitted out with all the available wargear it stretches to about 600pts I think.

Anyway, I massed all my force together in one place (my first mistake) and decided to try and kill everything before it reached me. However, my broadside was doing nothing as my rolls to hit were awful all day. My firewarriors managed to wipe out a couple of Termagaunt and Hormaguant squads before the Genestealers reached my entire force. I was carrying Photon Grenades which helped a little bit eventually they massacred me by Turn 5. I was amazed I lasted that long looking back.

Anyway, I realised my first main mistake was staying in one place. For several reasons this was a bad idea.

1) It meant the entire Tyranid force could mass as one huge unit and overrun me.
2) It meant that the creatures were always within the alloted range for the Zoanthropes synapse.
3) I had nowhere to run and once close combat started I was a gonner.

Aunshi survived until Turn 6. He was a dude. He must've killed a good 6-7 Genestealers and almost a squad of Hormagaunts alone by himself. A hero! He was the last to die.

But I need some more advice on some basic rules of thumb for the Tau. I still havent worked out the best idea. Should I spread everything out and trying and stay away from the Tyranids? I dont think its possible is it? If I move forwards i'll be into close combat by Turn 2. And that'll be the end of me. Should I move to the corners and try and separate the Tyranid force into two?

Any advice would be a great help.
Something really bugs me about that, that being this:

Quote:
Do you split these up into two groups of six? Because doing this would not make it legal by the standard Force Organisation Chart but also splitting the twelve into two groups of six means his gaunts have less they can attack in CC at one stage, so that would give you more time to get rid of other targets. Next up:

Quote:
Seeker Missiles? I take it you mean Smart Missile Systems because Seeker missiles are vehicle upgrades, of which you have no vehicles nor any Markerlights to launch them, so I'm presuming you mean SMS.

Tactically the best option would be to do what theluckyleprechaun and Shaso Wanax said so I wont bother repeating that as it's near pointless. Though I would make sure you make full use of your Stealth team as not only are they the most maneuovrable unit you have they are also armed incredibly wel to get rid of Nids' Gaunt's especially. Something you could try is to use the Stealth as a distraction, so seperate them from the majority of your army and keep pummeling him with Burst Cannon shots so he can't ignore them, then simply run away so your main army has less to deal with...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 04 Aug 2005, 16:48   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

fantastic.

cheers guys.

sorry about some of the terminology mistakes. as I say im new to the Tau and we've only just started playing again.

some good advice there though, which has certainly armed me for my next battle.

and yeah, I had two squads of 6 with a drone in each squad. this is okay isn't it?

Old 04 Aug 2005, 16:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes, that should be ok. Good luck in your battle! Don't forget to tell us how it goes!

Some wise words:

Wise men learn by other men's mistakes, fools by their own. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.
Old 04 Aug 2005, 18:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Here's what I'd do.

1. Scrap the drones. (They do give additional firepower, but weaken the FWs very greatly. If you want drones, take a Drone Squadron, which I'd recommend in higher-points (1000+))

2. Take a Crisis Battlesuit commander (Shas'el) instead of Aun'Shi (not good against Nids) and give him Flamer (I think they're great little bug killers, are cheap, and hit automatically so you're sure to kill some), Twin-Linked Burst Cannon (more little bug killing) or Twin-Linked Missile Pod (heavy bug killing), and Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker.

3. Add another FW squad. Massed Pulse Rifle fire will KILL Nids. Mount one in a Devilfish with Decoy Launchers so you can do FOF.

4. Scrap the Broadside and add a Hammerhead. It is hard to assault, so no Carnifex wil be useful* >. Add a Railgun to it and use Submunitions on small bugs and solid shots on big bugs. Also add Multi-Tracker and Decoy Launchers to it to enhance shooting and survivabiliy.

5. Add one more Stealthsuit. Their Jetpacks, Burst Cannons, and Cover Save when Assaulted will be a key to defeat small bugs.

That should go to 597 points.

Try the Hybrid tactic rather than Static. Let your FW unleash salvos of PR fire into the small bugs, let the Railhead will the big bugs (and small bugs when big ones are dead), Stealthsuits kill small bugs, Commander kills small bugs and (if Missile Pod is taken) big bugs. When the bugs reach your front door, let the fast-moving Mounted FWs, Commander, Stealthsuits, and Hammerhead avoid the bugs and unleash fire from aways. Your Static FWs may die, but they'll be bound to get some massed rapid fire Pulse Rifle shots in. And BTW, kill the fast moving units first! That Carnifex may look deadly, but not as deadly as Gargoyles.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 04 Aug 2005, 22:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

one odd little thing to try as well, with your current list:

dont be afraid to Gang-Assault! Pile everyone in once the messy part starts! this sounds silly, but theres a side benefit to doing this. this is so important it deserves a blank line before it:

with multiple units engaging his (hopefully) one, your Ethereal can get your Fire Warriors (and any Tau unit, really) out of there! get them to take a leadership test, and TRY to fail it! you WONT get slaughtered by an I6 sweeping advance, like you'd think... because he CANT Sweeping Advance if hes still locked in combat with another unit!! (lil known rule #112)

keep in mind you cant rapid-fire before an assault, but ALSO keep in mind you CAN rapid fire while falling back (if you happen to fail your rerollable rally).

another semi-cheesy tactic using your current list is a seperate gun drone squad (minimal of 4) 'screening' your FWs.... screening doesnt work as you may think, BUT.. a line of 4 Gun Drones in front of your fire Warrior line means they Tyr have to assault AROUND THEM if they wanna get at the shooty-parts (they cant move through an enemy unit if their base cant squeeze through)! put them right SMACK in the way! if they assault the drones, line your FWs up at 12" and get ready to double fire when the last drone falls...

just outta curiosity, what does HE have?? apparently Gaunts and 'Stealers, but what specifically? thatd help.
Old 04 Aug 2005, 23:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That may be a good tactic in bigger games, but I wouldn't recommend that one in games that size...

But I do agree it could help if you tell us what he plays against you.

Some wise words:

Closed Thread