Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bodyguards : twinlinking and second weapon
Closed Thread
Old 03 Aug 2005, 10:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dave
Default Bodyguards : twinlinking and second weapon

I see a lot of people against shas'vre or bodyguard because of the cost of such units.

Ok that's right. But at the same time they are very much effective!

For example 2 teams

Shas'el TL PR + Fusion Blaster and 2 Shas'vre TL PR + Fusion Blaster very very effective against armored troops and assauting troops. i mean you always have a hard unit coming fast to your door by deepstrinking or a besat to finish (carniflex or prince ...). he are the solution : first these unit can s-j-s against everything but can STOP the nearest dangerous unit.

Shas'el TL MP + PL and 2 Shas'vre TL MP + PL they play the same role as deathrain but if you come too close to them they can hit you very very hard8

I think these suits cost a lot ... ok !! but they stay alive !!! (less victory points for your opponent). And they can destroy really nearly everything and faster !!! Because you need a force able to finish the squads you target .

So i don't undersatnd why everyone tells me to use only 4 crisis in a 1500 pts game for more fw. The fw are good as troops but they die so easily. Most of the games i keep my crisis alive till the end and in such configuration they do kill a lot each turn and in every situation.

Thanks for debating
Old 03 Aug 2005, 13:17   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Bodyguards : twinlinking and second weapon

The biggest problem with bodyguards is not their cost but the fact that they remove IC protection from the commander. Since Shas'vre gain no BS upgrade, the only thing you gain by taking bodyguards is the ability to use more hard-wired systems. In the end, you are often just better off having a regular Crisis team follow your HQ around as an "informa"l bodyguard.
Old 03 Aug 2005, 13:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The only real advantage to a bodygaurd is that they can all take HW things, but if you don't have any on them, downgrade them to Shas'ui and attach him to them.

Some wise words:

If at first you don't succeed... I wouldn't recommend skydiving.

A bird in the hand is safer than one overhead.

Anger is a condition where the tongue works faster than the mind.

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Wise men learn by other men's mistakes, fools by their own. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.
Old 03 Aug 2005, 14:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The other option is to just use a large number of single models, as team leader Crisis Suits are cheaper than bodyguards.
This way, you can get five suits, but the setup is comparativly cheaper, and more durable, as any one enemy squad can't kill off more than one suit in a turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 03 Aug 2005, 15:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
The other option is to just use a large number of single models, as team leader Crisis Suits are cheaper than bodyguards.
This way, you can get five suits, but the setup is comparativly cheaper, and more durable, as any one enemy squad can't kill off more than one suit in a turn.
Only if you want to abandon your stealth team.
Old 03 Aug 2005, 17:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, I much prefer to have at least one stealth team

Some wise words:

If at first you don't succeed... I wouldn't recommend skydiving.

A bird in the hand is safer than one overhead.

Anger is a condition where the tongue works faster than the mind.

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Wise men learn by other men's mistakes, fools by their own. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.
Old 03 Aug 2005, 17:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkus
Quote:
Only if you want to abandon your stealth team.
You can still get four of them and a Stealth team. Besides, if you want more than three Crisis, you really don't have space for more than one Stealths squad unless if you're playing a high point game. At up to 1.5k pts, I'd say that it's hard to fit more than four Crisis, especially if you're already taking a Stealth Team.
This is presuming that you want things like a HH or two, as well as either a Pathfinder squad or a few mounted FWs. Just to be balanced ^_^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Who?
Quote:
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 04 Aug 2005, 02:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i gave HQ bodyguards a shot and you know what happened in-game? not much... them expensive suits didnt hit anything!!! BS 3 is just lousy, ESPECIALLY for the so called elitest of the elite. until the new Codex comes out and theres a Wargear option for Hard wired Targetting array (or sumpin), im dissapointed in general with 'Suits.

this is a recent epiphany for me: Suits cost a LOT, have a single (or sometimes multi-two) guns on them... no way can a suit squad of whopping THREE kill off any enemy squads of troops... theres just not enought bullets zinging out... so why spend so much of a percentage of my army cost on them? add to this dilemma that with the limited bullets zinging out.. ahem.. only half of them hit! is this adequate firepower from a 300 point team? i no longer think so. Before Crisis suits were the super kewl elite choices of my army, and had a front stage representation.. till i started noticing that they actually did quite little if i kept track of their shooting phases (and a so called.. ahem.. 'kill tally'.. usually 1-3 kills ONLY) so now, basically i have a semi disgust for them, and a new punchline:

"These are my Crisis Suits.. theyre called Crisis because their crisis is that they dont hit what they shoot at... (badum bum!)"

for the 309 points (or so, ive done a test build) of a Shas'el and kitted out guards, i can instead take an Ethereal, a loaded Hammerhead, and 10 Kroot. (eyebrow raising... isnt that??)

keep in mind that im not going to discard my Suits, ill hold on to them, and keep the Flamer Deathrains around for sure... but they no longer are the center stage for me. im open to suggestions on where i see things wrong... this is an invitation to a debate, ya?? so take this as my 'opositional stance' in stating the slightly overstated WORST, to oppose your BEST.... so the end result is we both see clearly the true MIDDLE.
Old 04 Aug 2005, 03:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
so take this as my 'opositional stance' in stating the slightly overstated WORST, to oppose your BEST.... so the end result is we both see clearly the true MIDDLE.* *
No opposition here. The only XV8's I bring these days are Commanders.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 04 Aug 2005, 05:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Calaban - If i'm trying to put together a competent Tau force, I only use 4 battlesuits at the most - being two commanders with twin linked something +another weapon and a multi tracker and possibly two suits in a squad with twin linked missile pods and a target lock + flamer.

The rest of the suits just don't seem to fill any role under the current rules. I'm not suggesting i'm the most experienced player in the world, but after about 15 or so games trying my hardest to use suits in different roles, i've noticed these two setups get the job done with the least amount of hassle.

Sure it's fun to have three suits with plasma when some terminators show up at your door, but you can acomplish those goals with a lot of pulse rifles too and also be able to handle a lot of lower saves.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Closed Thread