Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Plasma's replacement in the new codex.
Closed Thread
Old 03 Aug 2005, 01:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Plasma's replacement in the new codex.

We know we are facing a price hike on our favored anti armor weapon. So my question is what is the new math? How are we to deal with this change?
Old 03 Aug 2005, 01:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to smilingyello Send a message via MSN to smilingyello Send a message via Yahoo to smilingyello
Default Re: Plasma's replacement in the new codex.

i never really used the plasma weapon, i was more concerned with missle pods and burst cannons as Anti ork horde weaponry
Old 03 Aug 2005, 02:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Well... we can...

- Still use plasma. It is more expensive, but instead of twin-linking it you might consider getting a targetting array for your suit.

- Lose some FW per squad. If the new rules are accurate, plasma only costs 4 points more for single, 6 for twin-linked. This might have some fun meanings for victory points though, as crisis will be worth more than ever before.

- Tighten up inefficient points allocations elsewhere. Lose your SMS for 2 burst cannon on that HH. Get rid of that markerlight with your FW squad. Take off that hard-wired target lock.

In reality, we have nothing like plasma. Unless the Vespid are able to kill Marines, we are going to need to keep plasma on our suits. The fusion gun is really a poor man's plasma. Railguns get one shot max and are REALLY expensive. I suppose it might make more people take ionheads for killing 3+.
Old 03 Aug 2005, 02:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

The plasma is still a viable weapon - consider Fireknife configuration. It only costs two points more that it used to, as the missile pod is now cheaper. Six points extra on the TLPR doesn't even hurt too much.

Plasma isn't that bad - the reduced cost of everything else balances it out. Don't let the cost discourage you.
Old 03 Aug 2005, 03:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Plasma was never necessary for dealing with 3+ saves. Massed Pulse fire does just fine there. Where Plasma was important was for 2+ saves.

My suspicion is that the new Codex will contain a fix for the Drone rules which will make Broadsides easier to protect with a much more reasonable number of Shield Drones. Therefore, Broadside mounted Railguns (which can either be made to move and shoot, or be BS4) will likely replace Plasma for dealing with 2+ saves.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 03 Aug 2005, 03:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

The massed fire approach is ONE way of dealing with saves. It doesn't always work.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has fired everything on the table for 2 turns at a librarian calmly striding into my lines and only caused a single wound. Granted, that is a 2+ save, but it's all probabilities. Plasma is a sure thing... once it hits.
Old 03 Aug 2005, 07:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick
We know we are facing a price hike on our favored anti armor weapon. So my question is what is the new math? How are we to deal with this change?
Your original question has much been answered, however don't forget that these changes are going to take a minium of half a year to come into place with a new codex, so there is no need to panic yet!

Old 03 Aug 2005, 08:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

I agree with 42, plus there is still plenty of time for them to change the rules. ^-^

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 03 Aug 2005, 09:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

No need to panic yet...But is always good to talk about new unit configuration....
I think crisis suit will become a little more expensive but really really hard kickin' a*s

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 03 Aug 2005, 12:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

After the new codex, this will probably be the new fashion of configurations for Team Leaders and Commanders.

Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Targetting Array
HW Multitracker

For normal Shas'uis...

Plasma Rifle
Targetting Array
Flamer/Target Lock

IMO, Plasma will live on.* But we will see Ion Cannons, Rail Rifles and Fusion Blasters a little more common now.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Closed Thread